Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

Just now, Leaver said:

Thanks for your example.

Not that I went there much, but there was a thread about The Pig and Whistle, also.

Will we be seeing more closures in the near future?

Yeah.  Will be more closures.   The costs and prices really are getting high.  I noticed several places of course charge more than they did when I first came in 2004.  That is OK and expected.  But they are definitely going down on quality or portions are much smaller.  I don't mind the smaller portions, I don't burn as many calories as when I was younger.  Things just are not a bargain like they used to be, not even talking about the exchange rates being like 31 versus 43 Baht to the USD when I first came.

All those little bars in the bar complexes... How in the world can they make money?  What does a foreigner sucker pay out to run one of those?  How can one keep girls working there?  Remember Christmas time and how many girls wore red?  Didn't see that on my last Christmas time there either.  Didn't see the big Christmas decorations and lights on the outside of the Garden's mall either.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Thanks for your example.

Not that I went there much, but there was a thread about The Pig and Whistle, also.

Will we be seeing more closures in the near future?

Funny you mention the Pig and Whistle.  My Buddy was really good friends with Graham, the big guy that used to run the place in Pattaya.  When our trips overlapped I spent a lot of time in the Pig and Whistle.  That was my first Full English Breakfast.  This year I went over to the Pig for breakfast at 0800 and found out they don't open for breakfast until 0830.  I don't remember if they always opened at that time, but it seemed kind of late to me.

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah.  Will be more closures.   The costs and prices really are getting high.  I noticed several places of course charge more than they did when I first came in 2004.  That is OK and expected.  But they are definitely going down on quality or portions are much smaller.  I don't mind the smaller portions, I don't burn as many calories as when I was younger.  Things just are not a bargain like they used to be, not even talking about the exchange rates being like 31 versus 43 Baht to the USD when I first came.

All those little bars in the bar complexes... How in the world can they make money?  What does a foreigner sucker pay out to run one of those?  How can one keep girls working there?  Remember Christmas time and how many girls wore red?  Didn't see that on my last Christmas time there either.  Didn't see the big Christmas decorations and lights on the outside of the Garden's mall either.

Where do you lay blame, the Thai landlords, with unrealistic rents?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No agenda.

One favorite place of mine has been very quiet lately, and I mean, very quiet.  Actually, has been for some time, despite no change in prices or quality of service.

This is a well established, around 15 years, or more, bar restaurant, with legitimate staff. 

It has always had repeat tourist clientele, as well as constant expat support. 

It's not a small establishment, and is in a good location, so rent must be huge. 

The boss is a good businessman, and good communicator, not a drunken pimp. 

If business continues as it has been, through no fault of his, I can't see it being sustainable, and it will close. 

It always makes me sad when this happens - but its a global thing. Very big UK retailers are begging landlords to renegotiate rents to cover the dips and they have multi billion pound turnovers. No-one is immune if you don't cater for potential dips.

Perhaps the boss there can do the same, if not then the landlord is cutting his nose off to spite his face. I know of a very successful bar owner, family, in Bangkok, she hordes money like crazy in the good times to weather any storms. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Handsome Gardener said:

It always makes me sad when this happens - but its a global thing.

Sure, but what does that mean for us here?

Will there only be a few big establishments in the future where we all must go?  Same as certain retailers back in our home countries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Where do you lay blame, the Thai landlords, with unrealistic rents?

I blame it on market saturation.  Same as having two 7-11s right next to two Family Marts and all within 50 feet of each other.  Thais are often not very original and copy cat a lot, to the point where nobody makes big money.  It is kind of their market strategy.  Go to store after store after store after store and see the same brands of shoes, dresses, etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Sure, but what does that mean for us here?

Will there only be a few big establishments in the future where we all must go?  Same as certain retailers back in our home countries.

Sadly more and more big. Gosh I so miss the smaller flavor of Pattaya not that long ago.   I don't need nor want too many big malls.  While some western look alike malls are OK, I got plenty of malls here in the States.  I don't go to Thailand or Pattaya or Karon Beach for a western mall!   Just this last week the movie choices in Pattaya were the same in three places because SF/X was in each (Terminal 21, Central, Big C )   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

Sadly more and more big. Gosh I so miss the smaller flavor of Pattaya not that long ago.   I don't need nor want too many big malls.  While some western look alike malls are OK, I got plenty of malls here in the States.  I don't go to Thailand or Pattaya or Karon Beach for a western mall!   Just this last week the movie choices in Pattaya were the same in three places because SF/X was in each (Terminal 21, Central, Big C )   

The food hall in Terminal 21 is rammed.  Sad, really. 

I don't eat McDonalds.  Haven't been in one for years.  Has anyone been into a McDonalds in Pattaya recently?  Was it busy?  I would think McDonalds may be an indication of things here.

33 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I just came back from 3 weeks in Thailand.  The Domicile Austrian restaurant has closed on second road in Pattaya and a smaller version of itself is next to it.  The Thai fellow that spoke German now works at the Brauhaus next door.  The wiener schnitzel at the Domicile used be great with fried potatoes and salat.  Things change.

PapaGayos was literally empty at all hours.  That place used to rock and be a great place for late night stop ins

Highlights info row image
328/12-13 Moo 9 ,soi beheind Pattaya Memorial Hospital, Central Pattaya, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi
20150 Pattaya Thailand
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

So, do you think it's a perfect storm for a market correction?  If so, once again, what do you think that means for us here?

I think it means that Thailand is not a good place for a business investment.  The guys that opened up the Pig, Tequila Reef, etc. did OK in their time.  I doubt it is likely now.  Ogrady's next to the Pig was empty.  I just ate at Tequila Reef twice and there was not much going on.  The ribs were cold and soggy, the beans were cold.  The quality was so poor I didn't argue or complain, I left the meal half finished left a tip for the girls and left.

A foreigner might still be able to get by on a bar that has some rooms for rent.  I think there will be a market for places like that as tourists and even some long stay folks or possibly ex pats might prefer over the new condos.  But again, that would be only if the place is cheap and affordable and cheap means less profit for the owner.  Just a tough place to make money in

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I don't eat McDonalds.  Haven't been in one for years.  Has anyone been into a McDonalds in Pattaya recently?  Was it busy?  I would think McDonalds may be an indication of things here.

I ate at a few McDonalds.  None were busy.  The food was predictable, actually probably better quality than the pre cooked mcdonalds here in the states.  The packet ketchup is horrible water thai tomato sauce crap.  But they had inside an "American Ketchup" dispenser.

Many of my favs have closed already, others are trying to keep up since a few years,
I am pretty sure the coming 'high season' will be deciding their future (closing). 

Seeing the ones that did not really been bothered / suffered before,
to start suffering now too, still unsure to say anything about that (seems it is even worse than I thought).

This is based about reports from CM (BKK places I know seem to be fine but they never really rely on tourists either).

Edited by tabarin

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Seriously guys, is there no concern for the establishments you frequent?

I know I have seen a few of my favorite places really struggling, to the point I would not be surprised to see their doors closed soon.

A few of these are well established and nice places, that did have regular, and repeat clientele.

Good food.  Pleasant staff.  Nice environment. Cold beer.  All the sport on.  I will miss them, if / when they close. 

I don't do sports bars. 

Just now, elliss said:

OMG , when did that happen , i just loved the place .

seriously ????, I was joking, but closed around 2013/14. still got the adverts on youtube tho. not a place i'd recommend, had to take a dictionary there everytime as didn't know there was as many swear words in the English language. (from the proprietor himself no less)

23 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife is a school teacher, she has more wealth than me, more land than me and more rubber plantations and fruit farms than me - we don't all marry bar girls. 

School teacher , salary small money , i have darling  teacher before ...

Bar girls , earn money more than teachers. Sad but true ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why don't you go and have a look? Might be a better use of your time than these constant inane questions.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jastheace said:

seriously ????, I was joking, but closed around 2013/14. still got the adverts on youtube tho. not a place i'd recommend, had to take a dictionary there everytime as didn't know there was as many swear words in the English language. (from the proprietor himself no less)

You  joke , about  joking about a persons supposed death . 

You must be so sad and lonely ... Go Away ..

PS , fyi   the proprietor ,  is  a well known character on brit TV comedy .

Obviously , he did not like you,   same me ...

Edited by elliss
  • Confused 4