Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

11 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

We don't need more doomsday experts,

For many years people have used the sayings, "They are shooting themselves in the foot" or "They are killing the golden goose."

My post is not along the same lines as these sayings.  My post is more on a local level, mainly for expats, but also for return western tourists.

It is in the Pattaya Forum, not the Thailand Forum.

I know it's low season, and how low this low season is has been discussed in other threads.

I have a list of favorite bars and restaurants that I visit for different reasons, such as, the type of food on offer, or for when my team/s are playing sport. 

Being low season, these places are quiet, but it has gone beyond quiet, to devoid of customers completely, and these places run a good operation. 

For some time I have considered starting this thread because I have concerns that several of my favorite places may not be open 6 to 12 months from now. 

The one constant is change, deal with it.

I am not complaining.  Thailand is Thailand.  As for dealing with it, if there are closures, I will obviously find alternatives, but whether those alternatives will be of the same quality and level of service, remains to be seen.

If you don't like change, live up to your name, and leave.

Unlike so many here, I do not have a Thai partner, and do not own property, so I can leave anytime I like, and have actually selected a location and residence in a nearby country.  This is my Plan B as it is known.

The restaurants and bars I am concerned about are not some pile of bricks under a tin roof.  They are well established bars, with considerable investment, and I can only imaging the high rents that come with them.  From what I have seen over recent times, they would be clearly operating in the red, which I know is not abnormal for low season, but I also noted there was no real previous high season, and due to external factors, the coming high season looks to be even worse.

These are observations, and some opinion, not a doomsday prediction.  

These owners of these establishments are smart enough to close the doors and not float a sinking business using their savings out of ego.   

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, adammike said:

Name them.

I can, but I will not, but will say they are larger and well known establishments, that usually attracted a large amount of foreign expats, and tourists, in the Central Pattaya area, for everything from good food, sport, live music, pleasant staff, good service, and in a nice environment. 

Obviously, not each of these establishments offered all of the above.

46 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

you are no longer unique in your spending power, nor entitled

Good point.

I have never felt like I am unique, or entitled, just like I am a consumer, like any other.

We have seen it in our home countries, certain towns become populated with certain migrants.  Over time, all the businesses cater for that demographic in that town.  Everything from food to entertainment is for that particular demographic, which may not be the host country's cuisine or culture.  Certainly Pattaya catered for westerners in the past, but that may change in the future.

With the Chinese being the majority of Thailand's tourism now, it's pretty clear there will be a shrinking western market, and an increasing Asian market. 

In my opinion, that shrinking western market will see the closure of many businesses catering for westerners in the past.  We are already seeing this now.

In my opinion, we are in a phase of seeing what businesses will survive, and what businesses will die.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I ate at a few McDonalds.  None were busy.  The food was predictable, actually probably better quality than the pre cooked mcdonalds here in the states.  The packet ketchup is horrible water thai tomato sauce crap.  But they had inside an "American Ketchup" dispenser.

I only know of one McDonals that ever closed.  From memory, it was in Paris, and was despised by the anti globalization locals. 

It will be interesting to see if they survive here.

14 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Tons of new restaurants and bars popping up in Bangkok all the time, all full.

What differentiates them from the old ones who sometimes close is that they are of higher quality it seems.

"...they are of higher quality it seems".

The bars, or their customers?

20 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

You don't know why that is?

If a 7/11 or family market reach a certain revenue figure, the company will open another franchise in that location.

It's written in the contract.

I don't know how much it is now, but years ago for 7/11 it was when they make a monthly profit of 40K baht.

From a department of labor point of view, that makes sense as the Thais tend to throw bodies at jobs.  Opening another store employs more people.  I don't have any problem with it.  From a franchise point of view I guess it makes sense, unless I was a foreigner that had bought into one 7 11 store and just as I was making more money another store next door opened, which would reduce my business sales.

22 hours ago, jastheace said:

adverts were on sophon cable tv for years, 55 B breakfast, all food cheap (and edible if not the best quality) chang beer 35 all day, but i'd never seen it busy.( except on party nights with free chilli and shots). dunno how it kept going for as long as it did.

yeah, I remember, and I too never saw any of these places really busy.  There just are not that many ex pats in Pattaya.  My Dad owned a breakfast place, that was jam packed and the place to go in North Palm Beach Florida.  The problem with breakfast business though, is that even though the profit margins are high percentage wise (eggs and toast and potatoes are cheap to buy and cook up), the over all amount of profit is low.  There is just so much one can charge for breakfast.  Dad worked himself to death for peanuts.  But hundreds of Northerners that went down to Florida for the winter season had good food and talk.  Dad was quite the Bull Shit artist and could chat with anybody about anything

Air fares must surely pay a part ? For years economy class was always in the high £300's, premium economy was in the £700's and you could comfortably get business for sub £2000.

I looked yesterday for EVERY month this and next year, not just the school holidays and economy is coming in at £6-700 !! Premium £1200 plus and business £2500.

Not sure what happened but I would rather swim than fork out £700 for the misery of an economy seat !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

I only know of one McDonals that ever closed.  From memory, it was in Paris, and was despised by the anti globalization locals. 

It will be interesting to see if they survive here.

One just closed down and being demolished to make way for a new development between sois 5 and 6 on 2nd Road. No doubt it will find a new home.

8 minutes ago, champers said:

One just closed down and being demolished to make way for a new development between sois 5 and 6 on 2nd Road. No doubt it will find a new home.

that was my favourite 'half time' stop..... 

(day out in S6)

will be replaced no doubt.

12 hours ago, champers said:

Ok.

There's a difference between closing down and relocating. 

When you see a McDonalds close down, and not reopen nearby, that's a sign of harsh economic conditions, especially in a tourist area.

Yes, , I go to a very good place , won’t name it, in Pattaya. Spotlessly clean and good food, Thai. Boss very educated . It’s often empty when I go, ( high season) . Last time I asked why he thought it was so quiet lately, and he puts all the blame on government and a change in tourists. The one I go to very often in Jomtien is suffering too, where a year or two ago it was packed every night, again , super clean , good food and cheap, used by Thai s and foreigners. THe owner keeps asking me why it’s so quiet !!

The challenge that bars and restaurants face is 2 fold really.

Do they have enough customers

can the building be renovated or changed to bring in more money.

example   Patpong used to have a Tex Mex bar that always was busy with a wild crew of staff.  It was friendly had been on the corner for at least 20 years.  Was it making money probably but not as much as it could if renovated and rented to others so that is what the owner did.

Patpong used to have a go go bar that had a steady clientele but it seems to slow down it is now a steak house.  

A German restaurant in Pat pong is now a pub.

Looking at the area i would say that most of the bars in PP will be dying and be replaced in the near future.  You can already see it starting.

This is strictly the fat that people change what they want and owners that need to make money have to change with the times. 

Happens in every city in every country

On 8/13/2019 at 9:42 PM, Leaver said:

I think there will be no more high season. 

The peak season will still exist, but the more lengthy high season has gone.

Replaced by bus loads of none spending Chinese and Indians, all year around.

Oh, there will be plenty more high seasons to come. Little less farangs, little more Chinese and Indian. Little  bit different settings. Chinese are changing too. Not all in bus tours these days and more and more individual independent travellers come from there. It will be a painful change for the old establishments but Pattaya will survive.

Was in my little Thai eating house two days ago when the person who rents the place said they were closing at the end of the month  

Have been going there for the last three years 2/3 times a week will miss the place when it closes the Thai lady who rents it said she could no longer afford the running costs as the landlord had put the rent up considerably ☹️☹️

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, crazykopite said:

the Thai lady who rents it said she could no longer afford the running costs as the landlord had put the rent up considerably ☹️☹️

it,s called "thainess"...........:whistling: