Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

People drink with people. If the bar closes, those people will go elsewhere.

I know it's sad when a great establishment has to close it's doors but there's always another one to take it's place.

Bar girls also have followings of their own, along with managers and owners.

Maybe I missed the point a little bit but hey, my two cents (and a little more to follow);

You could build the best looking bar in town, with hot girls and cheap beer to boot... Put a c$%t manager in there and d*£khead girls, no one will go.

Rambling a bit now... Let me say it one more time, people drink with people.

Maybe all the bars will shut down... I'll be hanging out with my mates outside 7-11 with some cold tinnies of LEO.

2 hours ago, stevekrabi said:

People drink with people. If the bar closes, those people will go elsewhere.

I agree, but with the closure of one establishment, comes a loss, however small, of some choice an variety of establishments. 

2 hours ago, stevekrabi said:

I know it's sad when a great establishment has to close it's doors but there's always another one to take it's place.

In the past, yes, not so sure now.  We have certainly already seen some places converted into Indian restaurants.  Also, with less westerners coming to Thailand / Pattaya now, there will be a decrease of westerners to sell businesses to, so when leases are up, the doors may close, and it will be up to the Thai landlord to find a new leasee, who could very well be Chinese or Indian, who turns it into a business catering for that demographic of tourists.

I agree people drink with people, whether that be with friends, or "hostesses" or random people sitting next to them.  With the majority of tourists coming to Thailand now being Chinese and Indian, these nationalities do not have a big drinking culture.  The Chinese are on package holidays, usually with a partner.  The Indians look for women, but will not pay a bar fine, and go for freelancers, or a "massage / soapy."  So I expect beer bars to be the first to close up, and if you go for a walk through these complexes, you will see there are little to no customers in them.  As we know, it's low season, but it is the lowest I have ever seen, and with an impending global downturn, in my opinion, there will not be a high season of any significance this year.  However, this is being discussed in other threads.  

Of course all the bars will not shut down.  I have never suggested they will.  I have suggested many will close, leaving us, as in tourists and expats, less choice and variety to chose from, so I posed the question, "Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?"  Some will survive, others will not.  How are your favorite places going?

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 5:28 PM, topt said:

For that specific example you seem to forget that they also rent rooms out above.

I also doubt the figure you quote for the band but whatever it is I am not sure why you are trying so hard to convince everybody they are all going to close?

As to running at a loss does Billabong have a Thai or Farang owner? Unless it has changed the same "company" also owns Climax. 

As the Thai's say "you think too much" :biggrin:

Billabong is unique in what they do.

The rooms for rent have subsided to almost zero which is a great shame as it use to be very lucrative.  People would book from abroad online and use it as it's base. This all changed 2 years ago when the nation wide ban was brought in for short term rentals. They can not rent rooms day by day or week by week legally. Yes in its name it says "Billabong Hotel" but I'm pretty sure they are unable to rent short term.  There is a sign hanging off the bar saying "Monthly room for rent". They may or may not break these rules but the sign does say that.

Tonight I confirm only 2 rooms with lights on at the first floor, these are most likely used for staff using toilets. The rest of the accommodations were in darkness. In the old days people would rent rooms upstairs, eat breakfast downstairs and it was an easy place to stay, now the breakfast is gone. It could be better but I think they are doing so well on beer sales that the manager doesn't care.

Yes, I'm fairly confident that Billabong runs Climax too. Also they run Billabong 2 on second road near Big C.

As far as I know it is an Australian big boss with his Thai partner manager/licensee. He spends most of his time in Australia and his Thai partner runs the place. It is a multi million baht going concern. I think they are doing very well.

Billabong and Cafe Racer were both full tonight, they are doing something right.

Edited by Ling Kae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree, but with the closure of one establishment, comes a loss, however small, of some choice an variety of establishments. 

In the past, yes, not so sure now.  We have certainly already seen some places converted into Indian restaurants.  Also, with less westerners coming to Thailand / Pattaya now, there will be a decrease of westerners to sell businesses to, so when leases are up, the doors may close, and it will be up to the Thai landlord to find a new leasee, who could very well be Chinese or Indian, who turns it into a business catering for that demographic of tourists.

I agree people drink with people, whether that be with friends, or "hostesses" or random people sitting next to them.  With the majority of tourists coming to Thailand now being Chinese and Indian, these nationalities do not have a big drinking culture.  The Chinese are on package holidays, usually with a partner.  The Indians look for women, but will not pay a bar fine, and go for freelancers, or a "massage / soapy."  So I expect beer bars to be the first to close up, and if you go for a walk through these complexes, you will see there are little to no customers in them.  As we know, it's low season, but it is the lowest I have ever seen, and with an impending global downturn, in my opinion, there will not be a high season of any significance this year.  However, this is being discussed in other threads.  

Of course all the bars will not shut down.  I have never suggested they will.  I have suggested many will close, leaving us, as in tourists and expats, less choice and variety to chose from, so I posed the question, "Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?"  Some will survive, others will not.  How are your favorite places going?

usually the owner wont discuss difficulty with the customers, and i dont blame them. who wants to go out for a drink or meal and hear someone elses problems, not me.

therefore, theres no real way to know how many will close, so no real reason to worry about it. if you want to eat out more often at your favorite places and/or leave large tips km sure it will be appreciated. go have a good time and dont worry about it.

6 hours ago, fhickson said:

usually the owner wont discuss difficulty with the customers, and i dont blame them. who wants to go out for a drink or meal and hear someone elses problems, not me.

therefore, theres no real way to know how many will close, so no real reason to worry about it. if you want to eat out more often at your favorite places and/or leave large tips km sure it will be appreciated. go have a good time and dont worry about it.

I'm not worried about it. 

Over the last few years we have seen the demographics of the majority of tourists coming here change, and change dramatically.

Basically, I was throwing it out to the forum to discuss how long do members think before the hospitality industry changes to cater for the new demographics?

28 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Basically, I was throwing it out to the forum to discuss how long do members think before the hospitality industry changes to cater for the new demographics?

It's already happening.  2 years ago World Wide a Go Go on the beachfront between soi 7 and 8 disappeared. It is now a Burger King.

Silver Star a Go Go (the one in soi 8 with the big guitar out the front) closed last year. It is now a new 7/11.

Soi 13/2 Far East a Go Go (opposite Nevada Club) is currently boarded up and closed. It looks like a new boutique hotel is going up in its place. I doubt it will be a go go club again.

What I find wierd is the way landlords change the rental agreements and different tenants come and go. The soi 8 go go club disappeared to make way for a 7/11. On the other hand there was a big Family Mart on the corner of soi nam kang and soi buakhow which closed and disappeared and in it's place stands a brand new beer bar, interesting happenings.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:43 PM, Ling Kae said:

It's already happening.  2 years ago World Wide a Go Go on the beachfront between soi 7 and 8 disappeared. It is now a Burger King.

Silver Star a Go Go (the one in soi 8 with the big guitar out the front) closed last year. It is now a new 7/11.

Soi 13/2 Far East a Go Go (opposite Nevada Club) is currently boarded up and closed. It looks like a new boutique hotel is going up in its place. I doubt it will be a go go club again.

What I find wierd is the way landlords change the rental agreements and different tenants come and go. The soi 8 go go club disappeared to make way for a 7/11. On the other hand there was a big Family Mart on the corner of soi nam kang and soi buakhow which closed and disappeared and in it's place stands a brand new beer bar, interesting happenings.

Whilst you can't sell beer in a bar to the Chinese and Indians, they do need accommodation. 

On 9/26/2019 at 4:07 AM, Ling Kae said:

Billabong is unique in what they do.

The rooms for rent have subsided to almost zero which is a great shame as it use to be very lucrative.  People would book from abroad online and use it as it's base. This all changed 2 years ago when the nation wide ban was brought in for short term rentals. They can not rent rooms day by day or week by week legally. Yes in its name it says "Billabong Hotel" but I'm pretty sure they are unable to rent short term.  There is a sign hanging off the bar saying "Monthly room for rent". They may or may not break these rules but the sign does say that.

Tonight I confirm only 2 rooms with lights on at the first floor, these are most likely used for staff using toilets. The rest of the accommodations were in darkness. In the old days people would rent rooms upstairs, eat breakfast downstairs and it was an easy place to stay, now the breakfast is gone. It could be better but I think they are doing so well on beer sales that the manager doesn't care.

Yes, I'm fairly confident that Billabong runs Climax too. Also they run Billabong 2 on second road near Big C.

As far as I know it is an Australian big boss with his Thai partner manager/licensee. He spends most of his time in Australia and his Thai partner runs the place. It is a multi million baht going concern. I think they are doing very well.

Billabong and Cafe Racer were both full tonight, they are doing something right.

I believe The Queen Vic on Soi 6 suffered the same fate.  It makes you wonder what ulterior motives are behind trying to send these businesses broke here. 

Meanwhile, the Thai's a subleasing condos at The Base on a huge scale, and with impunity. 

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Meanwhile, the Thai's a subleasing condos at The Base on a huge scale, and with impunity. 

It's funny that you mention this because I was talking to a guy this evening who is staying there right now. Why is this allowed to happen? Is it because it is mostly Chinese tourists that stay there?

How can Chinese people get daily rentals from a condo complex when this is illegal? 

I walk past this place everyday,  taxis are queued up on 2nd road right up to soi Dianna picking up mostly Chinese tourists as they come out of the complex. The base was never intended to be a hotel and it is being used as one.

How come all the other places get stern warnings with threats of closures but base condo doesn't.  Anyone know?

Edited by Ling Kae
Added last paragraph.

11 hours ago, Ling Kae said:

It's funny that you mention this because I was talking to a guy this evening who is staying there right now. Why is this allowed to happen? Is it because it is mostly Chinese tourists that stay there?

How can Chinese people get daily rentals from a condo complex when this is illegal? 

I walk past this place everyday,  taxis are queued up on 2nd road right up to soi Dianna picking up mostly Chinese tourists as they come out of the complex. The base was never intended to be a hotel and it is being used as one.

How come all the other places get stern warnings with threats of closures but base condo doesn't.  Anyone know?

If it wasn't run as a hotel, it would have went broke.  There's one rule for a Thai developer, and another rule for The Queen Vic and The Billabong.

Perhaps the Billabong should change its name to The Billabong Condo and Bar.  ????

I believe the Thai's are leasing the condos there by the month, and then subleasing it to daily Chinese on holidays, and other nationalities.  This is probably still illegal, but if ever enforced, The Base goes broke, so allowed to continue to protect the financial interests of the Thai's.

The Base is advertised an Agoda and AirBnB.  

Was in LK Metro tonight out for a few drinks. Contrary to popular belief it was busy. Quite a few new faces in town and lots of bars were busy. 

Boom bar that I reported closed 3 weeks back has reopened and had about half a dozen drinkers inside. 

I personally do not think it is any quieter than any other low season we have had in the past and we are no where near the high season, so high season is anyones guess.

I've heard a few expats and tourists say that they have had enough and won't come back. 6 Months later nearly all of them have come back. Business as usual. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ling Kae said:

I've heard a few expats and tourists say that they have had enough and won't come back. 6 Months later nearly all of them have come back. Business as usual. 

Perhaps they tried somewhere else and decided there is still not anywhere quite like it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Not a chance the bar I go in closing I subsidize it everyday

Of course not all bars / restaurants catering for westerners will close.  I have never suggested that.

What I have said is that I think many will close, thus decreasing choice and variety for tourists and expats. 

The surviving ones will become busier, but the surviving ones may not be to everyone's liking, and due to less choice, one may have to travel further to visit an establishment they are comfortable in. 

9 hours ago, Ling Kae said:

Was in LK Metro tonight out for a few drinks. Contrary to popular belief it was busy. Quite a few new faces in town and lots of bars were busy. 

Boom bar that I reported closed 3 weeks back has reopened and had about half a dozen drinkers inside. 

I personally do not think it is any quieter than any other low season we have had in the past and we are no where near the high season, so high season is anyones guess.

Are you saying LK Metro was busy, or Central Pattaya in general?

You do know 6 drinkers doesn't even cover the electric bill, let alone salaries, rent etc.

From what I see, this is the quietest low season I have ever seen, but I agree, high season is anyone's guess, but due to internal and external forces, I think it will be a very low high season. 

Advanced hotel and flight bookings would tend to give an indication.  When I look at Agoda, and some major European airline websites, there's plenty of availability, and at cheap prices.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Are you saying LK Metro was busy, or Central Pattaya in general?

You do know 6 drinkers doesn't even cover the electric bill, let alone salaries, rent etc.

From what I see, this is the quietest low season I have ever seen, but I agree, high season is anyone's guess, but due to internal and external forces, I think it will be a very low high season. 

Advanced hotel and flight bookings would tend to give an indication.  When I look at Agoda, and some major European airline websites, there's plenty of availability, and at cheap prices.  

I walked from Pattaya Klang to LK Metro via soi Buakhow.  The same old bars and restaurants were doing well. To name a few, Marquee, Trenchtown, Chunky Monkey, Hungry Hippo, Scooters. Then I entered LK. It is this soi that was mostly busy. 

Then I went back and headed into Made in Thailand, a few punters around but generally quiet. Then headed to soi New Plaza, same old bars had customers but I wouldn't say they were busy. Frydays Fish and Chips was busy though @ around 11 pm.

So my assessment is that soi LK Metro is the place to go for an all in one soi where every punter can find something they like. It's busy there, has a good vibe, plenty of beer bars, go go's, food carts/shops and the best thing is the soi is closed off to traffic so no fumes to breath in and you don't have worry about cars running you over.

I've seen many low seasons before,  I think this is just another one of them. Nothing worse than we have seen in other years. 

• Like 2

Another one down over on the Darkside:

“It is with regret we announce the permenant closure of Sunnys from today.

We wish to thank all our loyal customers for their support over the last 2 years and wish them good luck for the future.”

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Of course not all bars / restaurants catering for westerners will close.  I have never suggested that.

What I have said is that I think many will close, thus decreasing choice and variety for tourists and expats. 

The surviving ones will become busier, but the surviving ones may not be to everyone's liking, and due to less choice, one may have to travel further to visit an establishment they are comfortable in. 

You are not factoring in new bars opening, of which there are plenty. A few examples:

The Black Pearl on Beach Rd, just round the corner from Klang.

A big new open air bar between Soi 7 and Klang.

Nikkis Bar on Naklua Soi 33 on the ex Little Bella Italia resto site.

Many others too numerous to mention. Times change and people move on and others move in. Nothing lasts forever.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, champers said:

You are not factoring in new bars opening, of which there are plenty. 

Yes you are right. In my area, soi 11 which runs from soi buakhow to 3rd road at least 4 beer bars have opened up in the 12 Months. 10 years ago there wasn't any. 

2 hours ago, champers said:

You are not factoring in new bars opening, of which there are plenty. A few examples:

The Black Pearl on Beach Rd, just round the corner from Klang.

A big new open air bar between Soi 7 and Klang.

Nikkis Bar on Naklua Soi 33 on the ex Little Bella Italia resto site.

Many others too numerous to mention. Times change and people move on and others move in. Nothing lasts forever.

Not uncommon for a building to be turned over to the next dreamer, but does that mean it will still be here, 12 months from now? 

Will the next dreamer have the money to even move in, 12 months from now. 

Would you buy a bar / restaurant / guest house in the current climate?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orac said:

Another one down over on the Darkside:

“It is with regret we announce the permenant closure of Sunnys from today.

We wish to thank all our loyal customers for their support over the last 2 years and wish them good luck for the future.”

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If Pattaya was on the stock market, I would short sell it, big time.  ????