Points system on driving licenses will reduce accidents in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, webfact said:

If offenders don't have enough money to pay they can still renew their tax but will get a 30 day final notice on the fine after which no tax disc can be issued. 

If they haven't got enough money to pay the fine, how can they afford the tax? And what happens if they don't pay the fine and the tax?

Another fine?

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

Truly enforce laws ,and stop putting on a big show by harassing drivers at check points..Stop focusing on Drama,appearance and optics and start thinking about sustainable results...

I agree. Much of this country's policing is show and no substance. Stationary checkpoints are not proactive traffic enforcement. The country seems to lack mobile, radar and camera equipped patrol cars; the purpose of which is to identify, stop and take action on moving vehicle violations. I doubt there are many top police officials that have or could initiate a traffic stop. They are light years behind reality in this area.

75% of road deaths are of motorcyclists, the majority of whom do not even have licenses. I cannot see a points system doing anything to reduce accidents with hem involved. 

Until there is a penalty for not having a licence which will mean something to a poor peasant in rural Thailand then this is doomed to fail. The poor cannot pay large fines, and putting them in prison is costly expensive so all that is left is to impound the vehicles....so any driver of a vehicle without a licence will have his vehicle taken off him permanently if he has no licence. Nothing else is going to work. Like large fines this will be beneficial to the police but after having to dole money out to recover your vehicle a few times even the dumbest will get with the program. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Drunk driving: 3 points

Red lights: 2 points

Helmets and speeding: 1 point each

That's Thailand using a credit of 12 points.

Now as they mention it, let's compare with the UK which is also an addition of 12 points:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_driving_licence_endorsements

The proposed penalty points are a joke!

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

So you can be drink/drive 4 times before you're off the road... Its a watered down joke system...
I hate quoting countries but:

My country of birth has a points system...
minor offences ie minimal speeding, traffic light infringement, broken lights, bald tyres etc etc = 3 points
major offences gets you 5 points + on a rising scale according to the offence committed.
Drink driving is an automatic one year ban... heavy fine and possible jail time.

All points stay on your license for 3 years from the date of issue.
12 points you are off the road for one year!!!

That's how it should be done.

12 points here,and they just keep driving. License or not.

10 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

75% of road deaths are of motorcyclists, the majority of whom do not even have licenses. I cannot see a points system doing anything to reduce accidents with hem involved. 

Until there is a penalty for not having a licence which will mean something to a poor peasant in rural Thailand then this is doomed to fail. The poor cannot pay large fines, and putting them in prison is costly expensive so all that is left is to impound the vehicles....so any driver of a vehicle without a licence will have his vehicle taken off him permanently if he has no licence. Nothing else is going to work. Like large fines this will be beneficial to the police but after having to dole money out to recover your vehicle a few times even the dumbest will get with the program. 

Where will they keep all the impounded cars? ????

"The Maj-Gen told Daily News at the 14th seminar on road safety in Bang Na last week that getting points on licences for infractions on the roads had been in place in the US, Japan and Europe for 20 years."

Gee, only a few years behind. Maybe in another 20 year they will bring in the strict alcohol 0.05 laws (including as many booze buses) as in Australia ??

The only thing these points will do is “you give me 500 Baht - I not give you points” ! Nice new money earner.
They try to copy other countries but forget conveniently that - in my country for example - I had take a 2 month course at the local driving school -had to take driving lessons with an instructor and then pass a very very difficult theoretical and practical test!
If they had the slightest doubt that you where not ready to get your license they failed you and you had to take more expensive driving lessons and repeat the test.
If anybody fails the test three times he/she has to submit to a psychological examination - which very often means that you will never get a driving license as you might be a danger to yourself and others on the road.
Most people here do not have a clue about safe driving,rules and regulations, traffic signs and markings on the road - or the technical part regarding cars and motorbikes which they also teach you in driving school where I come from.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

"The Maj-Gen told Daily News at the 14th seminar on road safety in Bang Na last week that getting points on licences for infractions on the roads had been in place in the US, Japan and Europe for 20 years."

Gee, only a few years behind. Maybe in another 20 year they will bring in the strict alcohol 0.05 laws (including as many booze buses) as in Australia ??

Does the police force also get points? Maybe they get a lot more than just 12 points. 

1 hour ago, hobz said:

I already have 3 red light fines from the same intersection that switches to yellow light and then red light within 1 second and no way to avoid... Automatic camera system.  I guess I will get 12 points within a couple of years.. great and will have to retake the license test...

All the major intersections in Chiang Mai seem to have the automatic cameras now.  It's a cash cow, seeing that they give them for going through yellow light, but not making across the big intersection before red.  Got my first ticket today.  They must issue hundreds a day, or maybe more!  Took a month & half from offence to fine arriving in post, so they must be processing thousands. 

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

No. Enforcing laws will help reduce accidents. Buzzwords and info-boards, etc, achieve nothing other than boosting some useless officials' egos. 

As probably at least half of Thai's do not even have licenses, all it means is more tea money for the RTP. Well thought out Mr Boss man!! How much is your percentage cut?????????????????

What he fails to address is that the places he cited as having point systems that work, are places where most of the people respect and obey the laws. More importantly, they have police officers out patrolling the streets and enforcing the laws......something I don't see happening in Thailand in the foreseeable future. 

Drunk driving 3 points, you are having a laugh !!

For the benefit

of those who do not know, in the Uk and i believe in most if not all EU countries the following applies,

Drink driving, 12 months ban and massive hike on insurance there after.

Death caused by drink driving 1-10 years in prison.

Death by dangerous driving 1-10 years in prison.

Death by careless driving 1-5 years in prison.

There would not be enough land to accommodate in jail the Los drivers if the same applied here.

Get real 3 points for drink driving.

What crap your headline. This points system will not change thai attitude. I guess many living here are still regestered in their village. Where will they send the fine to. School holidays many kids going mad on bikes underage, where are the police. If its raining inside 55555. Total waste of time. 

Thailand is called the "LAND OF SMILES" Just more useless window dressing to justify some politicians ego.

They quote other countries have had points systems for twenty years they do not mention that these countries have had strict licence testing and strong enforcement.Will never have an effect on driving or road toll. Yesterday in Pattaya crossing number 2 road all traffic stops at cross walk (surprise) except police vehicle comes up on left side and nearly runs over me and two other people I bang my hand on his right passenger window just kept on driving.He knows the law and enforces it. Are police checked to see if they have a driving licence and above all legitematley passed the driving test?.

6 hours ago, luk AJ said:

Speeding is a problem for me, I will burn through my 12 points within one year. What is the mechanism to get new points? They mention suspension 90 days etc.. but what after? Get again 12 points?
Who will loose the points? The driver or the owner? How an automatic speed camera can determine who was driving?
When you get a automatically generated speeding fine there is already a space for indicating the points lost and balance. But what if my GF was driving??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No mention of this, but I'm sure insurance premiums for the individual will go up after being assessed 1+ points.

2 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

No mention of this, but I'm sure insurance premiums for the individual will go up after being assessed 1+ points.

Doubt it.  Insurance premiums seem to be based on value of car, with no account of age of driver.  Actually most insurance covers any driver.

8 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Drunk driving: 3 points...……………………..OK, can do 4 times

Red lights: 2 points...…………………...……..Can do 6 times

Helmets and speeding: 1 point each.......Can do 12 times

That will teach them!

Just curious about HELMETS: Is it ok (it seems it is, I see it daily...) to just wear the helmet? Or heaven forbid, should the straps actually be fastened tightly? 

Archived