True Upgrade From 256kb To 1mb

Hurricane51

I just took advantage of True's free upgrade from 256 Kbps to 1 Mbps and after a couple of days I am extremely satisfied. Throughput (as measured with the very cool SPEEDTEST.NET) is generally 850K+ to a variety of sites around the world. That is more than 3x the throughput of my 256K service. Since I'm paying the same as I was for 256K, it's definitely a good value, something I've not been able to say about ADSL service in Thailand very often.

I just took advantage of True's free upgrade from 256 Kbps to 1 Mbps and after a couple of days I am extremely satisfied. Throughput (as measured with the very cool SPEEDTEST.NET) is generally 850K+ to a variety of sites around the world. That is more than 3x the throughput of my 256K service. Since I'm paying the same as I was for 256K, it's definitely a good value, something I've not been able to say about ADSL service in Thailand very often.

Not quite a free upgrade. It does say you must spend 800 a month on a postpaid acount for true move. I think there is also a deal with UBC? Which one did you do?

Hi, did you receive any message asking you to upgrade or do you have to go and ask yourself? Thank you.

Not quite a free upgrade. It does say you must spend 800 a month on a postpaid acount for true move. I think there is also a deal with UBC? Which one did you do?

You're right -- Not quite free. You have to qualify. If you have UBC cable service (recently renamed to True Visions UBC) then you qualify. Maybe there's a specific level of service you need to qualify, but whatever it was I qualified. I'm not sure what True Move is -- maybe it's the wireless access point they install in addition to your ADSL convertor box and collect a montly fee? If I wanted wirelss in my apartment, I'd just buy an access point, but I don't need wireless.

You have to apply by the end of March (or was it April?) and it's effective until you cancel your True Internet service.

At least , that's how it was explained to me.

Hi, did you receive any message asking you to upgrade or do you have to go and ask yourself? Thank you.

I received a promo brochure in the post. It's likely because I am a UBC subscriber.

I received this offer too through the monthly bill. To qualify you need to have two True services, which I do - True Visions, (formerly UBC) and my internet. However, you are also required to have a True telephone line, (which I do - an ADSL). But I'm being told that I need a combined ADSL and Voice line, although I don't need another voice line, as I have two already for my phone and for my fax. Has anyone else experienced these hoops. Not the easist "offer" I've encountered.

If you have a TOT line you're out of luck. You should get Internet from a provider which is compatible with TOT telephone line.

If you want True, you have to switch to True telephone line (Not available in all areas).

The True UBC deal is as follows:

You have to use True Move and topup a minimum of 300 baht per month.

Thai channels (no foreign channels) are free as long as you topup.

The knowledge package (limited number of foreign channels) costs 390 baht extra. The silver package is 800+ baht.

Installation is free, guarantee THB 2,000

Minimum contract is 1 year. Cancel before that they'll charge you installation costs (THB 2,000?).

Yes, I do have a True ADSL but this is not enough. They want me to also have a True ADSL / Voice line, although obviously I only need the ADSL to operate the internet, (which is what I have). If I have anymore tel lines I'll become an exchange.

Edited by samtam

We're paying for 512/256. Never actually got that speed before though.

I just checked the speed, and it came back as 739/312...??

We haven't applied for the upgrade, but they must have given it anyway.

To qualify you need to have two True services, which I do - True Visions, (formerly UBC) and my internet.

i was told that there are only TWO phone providers in Thailand, namely TT&T and TOT. i have both lines but have no idea about "TRUE".

The True UBC deal is as follows:

You have to use True Move and topup a minimum of 300 baht per month.

Thai channels (no foreign channels) are free as long as you topup.

The knowledge package (limited number of foreign channels) costs 390 baht extra. The silver package is 800+ baht.

Installation is free, guarantee THB 2,000

Minimum contract is 1 year. Cancel before that they'll charge you installation costs (THB 2,000?).

i appreciate your explanation but have no idea what you are talking about. what the EFF is "true move"? what does "top up" mean? how do i get a "true" phone line?

i have UBC since two years which is obviously now "TRUE". don't receive any invoice as i paid one year in advance.

To qualify you need to have two True services, which I do - True Visions, (formerly UBC) and my internet.

i was told that there are only TWO phone providers in Thailand, namely TT&T and TOT. i have both lines but have no idea about "TRUE".

no, there are three fixed line operators AFAIK....TOT, TT&T and True (as a sub-concessionaire of TOT in Bangkok)

True Corp (owned by CP, the "chicken people") seems to be in a lot of telecom areas:

internet service provider: True Internet

mobile phone network: True Move

cable TV: True Visions

fixed lines in BKK: True

internet cafes: True Coffee

etc.

I have True/UBC satellite and True (cable) ADSL. When I inquired about the offer I received in my most recent monthly bill, I was told it wasn't available to customers in Chiang Mai. In fact, I was told that it the offer was only valid for Bangkok customers. True? Or just more True lies?

Very close to Pattaya (on Sukhumvit Road) is a True shop. I pass it every time I go to SSS City ...

I suggest you get your ass to this shop who will probably answer all your questions .... Oh yeah, top up means to buy a prepaid card and apply it to your phone credit. Please don't ask the True people that again... they might consider you as 'half baht' .... :o

I have True/UBC satellite and True (cable) ADSL. When I inquired about the offer I received in my most recent monthly bill, I was told it wasn't available to customers in Chiang Mai. In fact, I was told that it the offer was only valid for Bangkok customers. True? Or just more True lies?

I live in Bangkok and I can't get it! I have been told that I live too farway from the exchange! :o

"True (as a sub-concessionaire of TOT in Bangkok)"

so no chance for me in Pattaya?

AFAIK , True only has fixed land lines in Bangkok....but they still offer other services like True Move (mobile)...True Internet Wi-Fi? etc. outside BKK.....

If it true that True has only landlines, how do you explain the availability of True Internet (not WIFI only) in Pattaya? To my knowledge True internet only works on true lines ...

OK.....do they also have True landlines in Pattaya?