8 Days Overstay...

Hi there.

My visa runs out on the 28 march and I'm leaving the counrty on 5 april...? 8 days after the visa runs out... I have allready extended it.

Would you..? visarun? pay the fine?

and other options?

I live in Phitsanulok so it is alot of trouble to make the run..

appriciate your answers :-)

simmo thats true...

but the thing is I woauld take me 3 days and atleast 3000 bath to do the run from where I am.

4000 bath for the fine... hrmm, its a hard one

OK, the chance of being caught is small but it's not zero.

BUT.

The consequences of being caught could include imprisonment, deportation and being blacklisted from entering The Kingdom again, ever. It only takes one policeman to ask for your passport (which he is quite entitled to do) and you're stuffed.

Also, remember that you'll get a nice 'overstay' stamp in your passport when you pay the overstay fine. Whilst this is unlikely to prevent you getting a visa or entry for Thailand, other countries may use this as a reason not to grant you a visa.

In my opinion it's a no-brainer, but of course it's up2u.

Edited by Crossy

simmo thats true...

but the thing is I woauld take me 3 days and atleast 3000 bath to do the run from where I am.

4000 bath for the fine... hrmm, its a hard one

You can easily rent a car and drive to the boarder for your run and be back within one day.

I live in Uttaradit (only 100km away from your place) and can do the run to Myanmar easily.

It will cost much less than 3.000 baht and no fear of being outlaw

Edited by Krub

Obviously, your best option is do a visa run. You might even be able to get another extension. If you have a plane ticket, just go the nearest immigration office and explain your situation. If you have a ticket, I think they'd give you another extension for 1,900 baht.

If that doesn't work, overstaying by 8 days is not the horrible thing others make it out to be. I've overstayed by 11 days in the past and not had any problem. The "overstay stamp" that will be in your passport is nothing bad. I have several of them in my passport and no one has ever batted an eye at them. It just says (in Thai!) that you overstayed so many days but you paid your fine and left.

I've lived in Thailand for nearly three years, and in that time I've NEVER had to show my passport to a police officer. There was one occasion where I was taking a bus to Cambodia to do a border run. I had in fact overstayed, and the bus was stopped at the customary military checkpoint near the border. A soldier got on, and asked to see my passport.

Having anticipated this, I had previously torn out the little white "departure card" stapled next to my entry stamp. The soldier flipped through a few pages, couldn't be bothered to find my current stamp among dozens of others, and gave me back my passport without incident.

So, in my opinion overstaying is not a big deal. If it were, it wouldn't be so easy to pay your way out of it.

Edited by jeebusjones

My visa runs out on the 28 march and I'm leaving the counrty on 5 april...? 8 days after the visa runs out... I have allready extended it.

Would you..? visarun? pay the fine?

Hi phitsanulok,

I suppose that you have a toursit visa ? If so no problem : Touriste visa (60 days) can be extented one first time (30 days) and a second time (10 days). [see http://www.thaivisa.com/298.0.html]. You need only 8 days so it's ok for you. Go to your immigration office, 1.900 bahts.

Pattaya46

PS: Overstay NEVER is an option.

I'd certainly goto the immigration office and talk to them, its possible they can issue an extension, worst case scenario you have to do a visa run...

its best not to overstay, especially with the current visa environment.

If Phitsanulok is ever charged and fined/jailed over the overstay, will the posters who advised him that it is trivial stand by him and share his fine/jail time? Just because you or your friends have not gone to court over this does not mean that Phitsanulok will get away with it.

Edited by mr_hippo

overstaying should be avoided at all cost just for the purpose of keeping legit. I overstayed 100 days after the dodgy visa scandal cause my passport was confiscated on a stamp rum from a Khao San Rd travel agent to Sadao. Weeks went by and they called to tell me my passport was at the US embassy. In it was a dodgy stamp. that was the last and only time I overstayed by even a day

If Phitsanulok is ever charged and fined/jailed over the overstay, will the posters who advised him that it is trivial stand by him and share his fine/jail time? Just because you or your friends have not gone to court over this does not mean that Phitsanulok will get away with it.

Actually I said that overstaying should be his last course of action. I just said I didn't think overstaying was as serious as it's made out to be. The chances of being picked up are very, very small and if it happened it would probably be because he did something stupid to warrant the police checking him.

...and who is to know the rules won't change sometime in the future? (as they do frequently). Maybe the government might say no entry to anyone with an overstay stamp in their passport...

Thanks again... but so many different answers :-) what to do?

anyone know about the mae sot border and visa run?

does Thai have to show passport to cross the border to burma??

I cannot help it :o , I would like to ask:

Aren´t you just a bit (too) lazy about dealing with this overstay ?

I mean, when I read the answers to your OP, it is easy to know what to do, don´t break the law !

why would a visa run take three days from Phitsanulok ?

(A quick look at the map of Thailand shows me, that you could go to Mae Sot by car in around 3-5 hours, so a one day trip!)

Do a search "Mae Sot visa run" on this site, and you will see a thread initiated by Krub, which explains how to proceed.

North

DO not overstay as the process is not fun and they can force you to return to your country of origin.

One of my close friends was caught on a 11 day overstay and it involved a court appearance and 2 weeks in immigration detention then an expensive trip home.

DON'T do it.

I cannot help it :o , I would like to ask:

Aren´t you just a bit (too) lazy about dealing with this overstay ?

I mean, when I read the answers to your OP, it is easy to know what to do, don´t break the law !

why would a visa run take three days from Phitsanulok ?

(A quick look at the map of Thailand shows me, that you could go to Mae Sot by car in around 3-5 hours, so a one day trip!)

Do a search "Mae Sot visa run" on this site, and you will see a thread initiated by Krub, which explains how to proceed.

North

I think it's pretty clear. Doing a visa run will be much cheaper and lot less stress and possible hassle than overstaying for eight days. If by some crazy chance they catch you on the street in Bangkok even a day overstay, they'll take you right to their little jail, as their eyes suddenly turn quite green. There should be no question. Just do it.

Mae Sot is the nearest boarder from your place.

It is about 4 hours drive.

Thais only show ID card

thansk for ALL the replys.

I have decided to go for a day trip with the family :-) fill up the pickup, hehe

Going to Mae Sot for the day.

Thanks again

Tell us how it went.

It is always useful for all to have the latest on the border points

Enjoy your day out as much as possible

The countryside is very nice between Tak and the border

What 90 day report? You do not do the 90 day address report when you are on visa entry - only when on an extension of stay from immigration are these required. When you leave Thailand on this border crossing you return and start a new entry.

OK. I assume she went to immigration and obtained a one year extension of stay so must do address reports. The report can normally only be submitted within the plus/minus 7 day window but even if outside they may be able to do for her.

She really should obtain a Thai passport and not have to worry about being a foreigner in her own country.