A minor (but annoying) surprise on visa extension day

12 hours ago, mikesil said:

Khon Kaen offfice;  Bangkok Bank

Why do you need to add any money to your account? It is not an immigration requirement. If I put my Bangkok Bank FD account passbook into an update machine, a line is printed out showing current date and balance, which is all immigration need to see, along with the standard letter. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

OP was talking about a 'fixed' deposit account, which if I believe correctly, you cannot ADD to initial amount or withdraw. So how can you do a transaction on the day you go to IO?

I use an SCB fixed deposit account and have no issues adding or subtracting money when at CW bank for my extension.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mikesil said:

Fixed accounts in Thailand are not exactly like Certificates of Deposit in the US.  One of the differences is that you CAN add --- I'm not sure about withdraw (maybe with a penalty).  I knew this beforehand, but felt sandbagged learning about the 2000 baht minimum 30 minutes before my visit to TM.

Yes, I know it's still my money even though I'll never see it again.  Hope my heirs and descendants use it wisely.

I haven't had FD account for long time now, but as it used to be in the past (and I don't think that has changed...) you can't really ADD to the original funds. You actually "open" a new FD account. The account No. will be the same with a "/1" "/2"... at the end of it. Say your original FD term started 1st JAN 2019 and ends 31st DEC 2019 (1 year FD). If you "add" more funds, it won't be from now till 31st DEC, but from now till the end of your newly selected term.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikesil said:

Sorry, we don't accept deposits of less than 2000 baht for fixed accounts".

Not a tragedy, just annoying.

Congratulations... if this is in any way, shape, or form annoying... you must have a great life... 

I find some of the meaningless posters on this forum annoying - so, I know, I have a good life too... 

I find walking up the steps at my bank annoying... good life, sure.  

Edited by kenk24
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

OP was talking about a 'fixed' deposit account, which if I believe correctly, you cannot ADD to initial amount or withdraw. So how can you do a transaction on the day you go to IO?

Fixed deposit accounts are not fixed in any meaningful sense. You can deposit or withdraw at any time, probably with a slight loss of interest - which is so small anyway it makes no difference. I have just withdrawn money from my account, used for 20 years for the purposes of immigration, in order to leave the 400K needed for a marriage extension.

14 hours ago, mikesil said:

I stopped off at the bank, put 20 baht on the counter, and asked to make said deposit.  Response: "Sorry, we don't accept deposits of less than 2000 baht for fixed accounts".

I was a bit confused at first reading...I thought you had put 2,000 Bt. on the counter...then I read the post again.

I mean, come on!...did you not think you might have a problem trying to lodge 20 Bt. into a "fixed" account.

Personally, I wouldn't have the nerve to even try to lodge 20Bt. into a normal savings a/c or currant a/c.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So why post. You have savings ac. Assisting op how exactly.

He may wish to consider a different type of account to ease the issue. Not all people are all knowing, as you appear to be. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikesil said:

Fixed accounts in Thailand are not exactly like Certificates of Deposit in the US.  One of the differences is that you CAN add --- I'm not sure about withdraw (maybe with a penalty).  I knew this beforehand, but felt sandbagged learning about the 2000 baht minimum 30 minutes before my visit to TM.

Yes, I know it's still my money even though I'll never see it again.  Hope my heirs and descendants use it wisely.

You can withdraw from them.  That is one of the requirements for Thai Immigration acceptance.  When I set up my fixed account, SCB, I asked them about it.  They said if you withdraw from it you will only be paid interest on the lowest balance for the period.  Or in other words you will earn no interest on the portion you withdraw early.

14 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Some pathetic IO's have to have their little moment of power.

And some pathetic farang seem to find an endless list of problems that seem to overwhelm them while the majority are able to cope without all the drama.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Why do you need to add any money to your account? It is not an immigration requirement. If I put my Bangkok Bank FD account passbook into an update machine, a line is printed out showing current date and balance,

That depends on the bank entirely. Your bank does that: mine doesn't. Only changes are recorded.

17 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That depends on the bank entirely. Your bank does that: mine doesn't. Only changes are recorded.

He (OP) said Bangkok Bank, I said Bangkok Bank. 

I quote the OP to make it clear I am not talking to everyone. 

Edited by jacko45k

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As mentioned previously, you can make a deposit at any time. Various banks may have different minimum deposit for an FD a/c. I think my KK bank is 1000 min. I will chuck that in on day of extension.

Depends on the bank and the account type.

Mine cannot make an additional deposit at all, ever.

It is apparently possible to get an updated passbook or statement without a deposit, though many bank staff don't seem to know how so perhaps call the bank HQ.

15 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Some pathetic IO's have to have their little moment of power.

That´s a nice view you have on the ones that grant your permission to stay. The fact is that they have the power to deny, and hopefully they will never get any information about how you describe them.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I take out 1,000 Baht on the due date so that the due date is noted in the letter and in the bank book, never had an issue with it. Mine is a savings account, not sure if that makes a difference. 

Yes it does. A fixed deposit at some banks is just that, Fixed. One IO said they couldn't accept my fixed A/C as it didn't show a deposit or withdrawal for that day. When I returned to the bank to make a deposit, the minimum they would accept was 10,000 baht. What does one do? I made the deposit, but when I returned to Immigration I saw a different IO and she said it was not necessary. Left hand and right hand. They just do not have a clue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Surasak said:

Yes it does. A fixed deposit at some banks is just that, Fixed. One IO said they couldn't accept my fixed A/C as it didn't show a deposit or withdrawal for that day. When I returned to the bank to make a deposit, the minimum they would accept was 10,000 baht. What does one do? I made the deposit, but when I returned to Immigration I saw a different IO and she said it was not necessary. Left hand and right hand. They just do not have a clue.

Open a savings account

17 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Yes that is correct its a fixed deposit - he's just confused with finance here maybe 

Essentially a CD but fixed in term and amount by certain parameters

You can just use a savings account of course

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It´s also nothing new. This has been posted many times before on Thai Visa.

things change constantly .. that also has been posted .. so for me i have to keep checking for new stuff .. and sometimes a thread gets confusing when it gets hijacked by others that have similar but not the same problems at different IO's  ...   and with IO's not on the same page stinks 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Open a savings account

I could, but choose not to. It only happened on the one occasion, but as per usual there is always one weak link in the chain. There is also the point, a savings account is more easily accessed than a deposit account. S/A only needs one of either the book over the counter, with a filled form. Or a card at an ATM. A deposit A/C can only be accessed over the counter with the passport the A/C was opened with, even if that passport is out of date, as I found not a week ago when making an inquiry at the bank.

The OP has stated that it was the Khon Kaen branch of the Bangkok Bank, but which one because I know of at least 5 Bangkok Bank branch offices in Khon Kaen and some of the staff in some of those offices are absolutely useless

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

Just tell immigration that this is a fixed deposit and not savings so we cannot update the balance on that day. 

I get the bank letter for the fixed deposit 1 or 2 days before i go for my extension  in Hat Yai and  the bank update the book at the same time ,they put the book in the machine and Then it shows the amount from the fixed deposit and the date  . The imm  officer can also  see the date when the fixed deposit  finished no need to put in /withdraw money. Immigration  has no probs with that.  

18 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You Can,My Friend had to ADD 1k to his account just to have his book updated to please IO....

5 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

And for some people that would drop the balance in the account below 800,000 if they had less than 801,000 in the account before following your advice.

Then 'some people' must be stupid putting EXACTLY 800k in the bank.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Depends on the bank and the account type.

Mine cannot make an additional deposit at all, ever.

It is apparently possible to get an updated passbook or statement without a deposit, though many bank staff don't seem to know how so perhaps call the bank HQ.

Last time I had a Bkk Bank Fixed Deposit Account, several years ago, I did not get a bank book, only access at the bank it was held at.

Have things changed now?

Edited by wgdanson