Help my thai girlfriend find a job.

Ive been together with the most amazing thai girl for almost a year now. She comes from a poor family and has been living in a small place for her entire life. In this small place it was never easy for a girl like her to get a job. She lives with her aunt but her mom is very controlling and in the past she has been forbidden to almost leave the house. Only small trips to 7 eleven was allowed and even go visit her friend in a different city was unheard of.

She dropped out of university after 1 year when her family couldnt afford it anymore.

Now her biggest dream is to find a job, to not stay home all day long doing nothing, and im going to help her.

Soon we will move to Bangkok together and she will basically take any job she can get. She dont care about minimum salary or long days she just want to try how it is to work.

I just want to be a bit prepared so i can help her as much as i can so here goes:

1) Ive heard that in thailand the unemployment rate is very low, is this true or is it really as some say, if you want a job you will find one pretty easy?

2) How does one apply for work in thailand? She want to apply for job at different shops and restaurants. Do you need to write an application like western countries? CV?
3) Is it only so so with contracts when you get a job? Or is it normal even in low income jobs to have a contract? 

4) If you get a job is it normal to get a full time contract or do thailand operate with short term contracts alot?
5) If she gets a job and has a contract i assume thai workers dont stand so strong if your boss want to get rid of you? In thailand you can basically just fire someone the same day without any reason?
6) Lets say she wants to work at for example amazon coffee. How would she go about to try get a job. I assume if she go talk to the people working there , there is no boss around in person ever. Is it more normal to call or send an application online? I must say i dont really know anything about the thai job market. Ive been living here for some years now but im a sailor so i dont work in thailand myself.

If other tips or recommandations please let me know and we will both be grateful.

Oh and my girlfriend she is 24, speaks good english and is smart. Im only littlebit scared because she is very naive.

Regards Martin

21 minutes ago, Nangijala said:

Oh and my girlfriend she is 24, speaks good english and is smart. Im only littlebit scared because she is very naive.

You've lived with her for a year, she speaks good English and you are asking others about Thailand rather than her ? 

I think the niavity could be yours

From what I have seen, most of the lower end jobs are usually filled by friends relatives, word of mouth.A sort of, not what you know but who you know.

I have never heard of the CV approach here, although it is probably more applicable to the higher company jobs.

No offence intended but it seems she is in the lower job market, where the best thing is walk n talk. Amazon Coffee as far as I know is franchised, and you would need to talk to the local manager. The staff would know if they need anyone and who to contact. Also try local 7-11 stores, KFC etc. She could also try the likes of Makro Big C and Tesco.

Hope that helps.

She usually wudnt get a job at 7 eleven, Amazon, Maccas or Tesco unless shes completed high school and minimum college. Only way for her is to walk around and have a look. I doubt she will get in a retail shop with no experience. Waitressing probably her best bet to get in the job market

All makes perfect sense . Controlling mother , not allowed out of the house, but speaks good English and been dating foreigner for a year .

every single shop has a sign looking for staff but she does not know and only wishes to find a job.

yup, sounds genuine ????

If you want her to work for nothing then it won't be difficult to find her a useless job in Bangkok. If you care about her you should help her to finish university or even push her to start a small business. Don't be surprised if her mother is not supportive. She might think that menial minimum wage work is less risky and will make money "faster". 

plenty of  jobs working the fields , I mean shes  not afraid  of hard  work right? When i was that age I would  have done ANY  job so surely  she'll be the same?

Jobs ive done

Stacking supermarket shelves at 15yrs old from 5am to gone 10pm every Saturday/Sunday and one weeknight that was  hard  work.

Cycling 20  miles for a saturday job in a shop when 12-13yrs old

Painting houses 15+

18 worked for small co driving forklifts and doing almost anything in a  small delivery depot mostly  unattended  all day

21  start own business to make real  money as  well as clearing snow  off  peoples  drives in winter, buying large  bags  of salt and splitting into small  bags for  profit and sold to local gas  stations when 17

Cleaning cars etc etc  so shes ok getting dirty breaking nails sweating etc or is she a pwetty  doll who cant have  hair  ruffled spends  all day gawking at her ugly  face and twatting around  on fartbook?

8 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

plenty of  jobs working the fields , I mean shes  not afraid  of hard  work right? When i was that age I would  have done ANY  job so surely  she'll be the same?

Jobs ive done

Stacking supermarket shelves at 15yrs old from 5am to gone 10pm every Saturday/Sunday and one weeknight that was  hard  work.

Cycling 20  miles for a saturday job in a shop when 12-13yrs old

Painting houses 15+

18 worked for small co driving forklifts and doing almost anything in a  small delivery depot mostly  unattended  all day

21  start own business to make real  money as  well as clearing snow  off  peoples  drives in winter, buying large  bags  of salt and splitting into small  bags for  profit and sold to local gas  stations when 17

Cleaning cars etc etc  so shes ok getting dirty breaking nails sweating etc or is she a pwetty  doll who cant have  hair  ruffled spends  all day gawking at her ugly  face and twatting around  on fartbook?

aw c'mon. obvious, 2 options here....

op wants her take care him....

or reading the grammar in 1st post...

troll city.....

If she wants a job she will easily be able to get a job for herself. Lots of restaurants, (sport) bars and others are willing to employ people basically on the spot without hassle.

You should not get involved in this. And if she tells you she has no idea how to get a job ask her if she can see, walk and talk. If the  answer is yes then she can get a job.

And in any of those jobs she will meet many people who talk about others jobs and other job opportunities, salaries, etc. 

Assuming this is no troll post the question is why do you get involved? From a controlling mother to a controlling boyfriend?

I met my TGF in a bar in Pattaya. Issan lady, 38. I told her that if our relationship was to continue she needed to get a normal job. She willingly agreed as she hated working in bars anyway. She left school at 14 to take up full time employment in a hotel in Issan. She never found a problem getting a job anywhere in Thailand, even though she speaks virtually no English.

It took her exactly a day to find a job as a chef in a Thai restaurant, here in Pattaya. 12 hours per day, 7 days per week and 12k baht per month. She never complained.

When I eventually moved to Thailand, I insisted that she give up work so that we could spend more time together. She is now a houswife, mother and my companion.

If the OP's girlfriend isn't afraid of hard work, willing to trawl the streets, knocking on a few doors and doesn't insist on a job that doesn't involve getting her hands dirty, she should have no difficulty in getting a job in a day.

I can help her find a "job" alright... plenty of hooker discos in Bangkok...

Because that's pretty much the only job someone with no degree and no skills can do that actually pays a livable wage. Anything else and she'd be making minimum wage working like a slave. A typical salary for someone like that is 9000 baht a month. Very hard to live on that, especially in Bangkok.

If you really want to help her out and she's NOT a prostitute or gold digger, and you believe this is someone you'll have a future with then forget work - put her through university first so she can be hired for a normal job in the future. She can make 20-30k a month working in a high-end hotel or something similar but they wouldn't even look at her without a degree.

Assuming this isn't a troll post, very much weird about this - how does someone who's 24 from a poor family survive without working, and how does someone who's barely allowed to leave the house speak good English? You learn languages by speaking them, so who has she been speaking to for years?

18 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I met my TGF in a bar in Pattaya. Issan lady, 38. 

When I eventually moved to Thailand, I insisted that she give up work so that we could spend more time together. She is now a houswife, mother and my companion.

She is 38 now?  Or 38 when you met her?  Just curious what age she left the bar and got the Thai chef job

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lots of restaurants, (sport) bars and others are willing to employ people basically on the spot without hassle.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't date someone who works at a sport bar. Even if she's not a straight out prostitute the temptation is always there and with the right combination of attraction, money, and alcohol she might let herself go, pun intended. Especially if she's young and good looking, and even worse - from a poor family in the countryside. Restaurant would be OK, but depends on the type of restaurant. If she's just serving food then OK - but if she has to make conversation or drink with customers then no.

This isn't about control or jealousy by the way - I'm not a jealous guy at all - but I know girls and I've taken dozens of girls home despite them having boyfriends. Very few women can be trusted 100% to resist temptation, so it would be idiotic to date one who is faced with temptation every day.

20 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

so it would be idiotic to date one who is faced with temptation every day.

And working in a proper business environment, there are no young attractive Thai men in suits with nice cars?  What about when she goes to lunch?  Attractive businessmen at eateries giving her the eye?

Temptation is everywhere

4 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

And working in a proper business environment, there are no young attractive Thai men in suits with nice cars?  What about when she goes to lunch?  Attractive businessmen at eateries giving her the eye?

Temptation is everywhere

It seems that there is a fear of "temptation" to other individuals in this thread, some people are loyal to their partners, irrespective of financial implications.

I suggest you help her go back to university and ge a degree or look at a technical college. Without being to either she will only be able to get the lowest of jobs with little money. The older she gets the harder to get work. Also I am very surprised that she can speak good english when you say she has only ever lived in the village and not allowed to travel. I doubt this is true. If you are new to Thailand (maybe you have been here for the occasinal one week holiday) then becareful, all is not a great as it looks. Good luck

Archived