Laos embassy in Bangkok, is visa by mail an option?

If so I would be able to take a bus from Udon to Vientiane. If not there are other options that allow for visa on arrival at the border.

Has anyone gotten a visa from the Laos embassy in Bangkok by mail? How difficult was the process? I'm in Pattaya and this won't be worth it for an in person visit but by mail would be nice.

Has anyone used the Laos eVisa? The website seems to indicate the visa will be sent by mail - does it really mean email? I'm in Bangkok now and flying to Laos in 2 weeks time - is this long enough to apply for the eVisa?

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, pkrv said:

Has anyone used the Laos eVisa? The website seems to indicate the visa will be sent by mail - does it really mean email? I'm in Bangkok now and flying to Laos in 2 weeks time - is this long enough to apply for the eVisa?

Thanks.

You are correct, it is written that the visa is sent by mail. It is quite confusing as they mention that you use the approbation letter at the border crossing,

I checked in French and the write the same.

Sorry I have never used this process online for Laos . I hope someone did.

I used eVisa for Myanmar, Vietnam and Cambodia and the document eVisa  is sent by email.

Maybe you can contact them:  [email protected]

Good luck !

I read the section :< Eligible Countries >and at the end of the paragraph you can read this:

After the approval of the eVisa, the travellers, will have to print the eVisa which is sent to them via their electronic mail

I hope this help !

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I would suggest that those intending to get a Lao e-visa start at the official website: https://laoevisa.gov.la/index. I have had bad experiences with agent websites in the past which are usually more expensive. That said, I have not yet used the Lao e-visa scheme.

Thank you for the update on the government web site. I I also think it is better to deal with the official web site. I was not aware the other one was an agent.

Ah, thanks for the updates, hadn't seen there was the official website either. Looking to make this process simpler, rather than pitfalls with agents. Otherwise photo and 1500THB on arrival is much easier. Thanks for the assistance.

If your flying to Vientiane(wattay)international or crossing at Nong Khai just get a Visa on arrival if your from UK it $35 or 1500Baht you will need 1 photo and completed form the form is available at immigration.If you use the eVisa method it will cost you $86.

Screenshot_2019-08-17-06-20-22.png

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Just Get a Visa on Arrival & Pay 35 US$ ( Varies on You're Nationality ) But So EASY A Child could do it in Person.....

I use eVisa to visit countries around Thailand because  I want to avoid the huge Visa sticker that use a complete page of my passport. Up to now, I could enter Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam just showing the eVisa letter printed on my computer. The officer just put a entry stamp, no more.  I hope the Lao eVisa is done the same way.  Too much VISA sticker fill a passport very quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cnx355 said:

I use eVisa to visit countries around Thailand because  I want to avoid the huge Visa sticker that use a complete page of my passport. Up to now, I could enter Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam just showing the eVisa letter printed on my computer. The officer just put a entry stamp, no more.  I hope the Lao eVisa is done the same way.  Too much VISA sticker fill a passport very quickly.

More hassle though, as you now need to keep the letter with the passport. 

You did not state you were taking the international bus from Udon,your correct in saying you need a vise for lao to book this bus.Just get a bus from UDon bus station to Nong khai then tuk tuk 60 Baht,to friendship bridge.Then get Visa on arrival.After exiting immigration cross the road to your right walk 50 mts catch Local bus (Green) to Talat Sao (bus station)8000 kip,or taxi 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NamH2O said:

You did not state you were taking the international bus from Udon,your correct in saying you need a vise for lao to book this bus.Just get a bus from UDon bus station to Nong khai then tuk tuk 60 Baht,to friendship bridge.Then get Visa on arrival.After exiting immigration cross the road to your right walk 50 mts catch Local bus (Green) to Talat Sao (bus station)8000 kip,or taxi 

If taking the train I might as well get off in Vientiane and then take a tuk into town right? 

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong,but I think the train terminates at Nong khai.If you follow my instructions in my previous comment you will be in the town centre if you get off the bus at Talat Sao bus station.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cnx355 said:

You can also now get Laos official eVisa visa online

https://www.laosevisa.com/

This does not appear to be a Laos government site,but an agency. BEWARE of rip off price. I got caught out on an e-visa site for cambodia,a friend at the time did it for me turned out to be an agency in Vietnam paid $40 instead of $20 a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hal65 said:
18 hours ago, NamH2O said:

If taking the train I might as well get off in Vientiane and then take a tuk into town right? 

2 years ago asked a tuk tuk to take us to the border, "sorry now tuk tuk can not, take the train."1233096057_IMG_0045(2).JPG.2512711bf1c473e6cde07ac06aec39ee.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NamH2O said:

Took an international bus one time destination vientiane bus drove off without us at the border the driver would not wait, while we did the visa, bags on board, luckily someone falang took our bags and waited until we arrived at venetian bus station.

Edited by brianthainess

The train connection from Nong Khai to Thanaleng (Laos) runs about twice a day. Thanaleng is in the middle of nowhere and usually only a tuk service which departs when full. Far better you alight at Nong Khai and catch a tuk tuk (30 Baht) to Friendship Bridge 1 and cross over and then decided on the relevant transport option into Vientiane - Green bus, tuk, taxi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CelticTam said:

usually only a tuk service which departs when full

This is the first I've heard of this, have you taken this route recently? I haven't read about this in Google

Edited by Hal65

On 8/17/2019 at 4:49 PM, Hal65 said:

If taking the train, I would suggest alighting at Nong Khai station (about 1 km from the Friendship Bridge) and crossing there. Taking the train across is time consuming and leaves you open to rip offs at the terminus in Laos.

• Like 1

@BritTom I have read a few comments now, here and on TripAdvisor, suggesting the path you mention. I'm weighing it as I'm sure it's more popular for a reason.

The thing that makes me lean towards the train is this:

1. Easier/less hectic visa lanes
  2. Less time overall in a vehicle (I don't mind sitting in a station as much as I can handle computer tasks, but in a vehicle it's not as good)

That problem with the limited tuk availability is a concern though. I guess it's a 2 sided coin of the less traveled road: easier visa process, but more hassle from station to hotel because of less public transport.

I'll grit my teeth and pay a max of 300 thb to a tuk at the Vientiane station even though there's a 20 baht bus at the vehicle bridge, Laos side. Any more than that and I might just do your route from then on.

Edited by Hal65