For how long can I post on an open thread?

watcharacters

I noticed lately  a few threads that were brought back to life after no replies for some years.  That got me to wondering.  What is the  forum rule or policy on this matter?
I can understand a time sensitive post such as a bar event or store sale  having a limited life but some things  have a greater life it seems to me.
I did inquire  of a forum moderator and was told there is no violation of a forum rule or policy in posting to an older thread but I would still like general clarification if possible.
TIA

There is no general rule, although topics become archived after 10 years and then cannot be added to.

If a topic is resurrected from say 5 years ago, it has to be for good reason and the added post must be relevant and add value. If it does not it will be removed and the topic returned to history.

This of course is also all a matter of the topic concerned and current relevance.

It is generally better to start a new topic and be current rather than raise an old topic in most instances.

15 hours ago, CharlieH said:

If a topic is resurrected from say 5 years ago, it has to be for good reason and the added post must be relevant and add value. If it does not it will be removed and the topic returned to history.

That's reasonable enough, Charlie.

I forgot to mention in my OP that in some/many cases a person's post may be replying to a Google search result. 

So do I understand correctly that 5 years is basically the   cutting off point?

16 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

That's reasonable enough, Charlie.

I forgot to mention in my OP that in some/many cases a person's post may be replying to a Google search result. 

So do I understand correctly that 5 years is basically the   cutting off point?

No, the 5yrs was an example, it could reasonably be applied to anything over 6 months old, this is the most pertinent aspect:

"it has to be for good reason and the added post must be relevant and add value. If it does not it will be removed and the topic returned to history.

This of course is also all a matter of the topic concerned and current relevance."

On 8/17/2019 at 7:02 PM, CharlieH said:

There is no general rule, although topics become archived after 10 years and then cannot be added to.

This of course is also all a matter of the topic concerned and current relevance.

It is generally better to start a new topic and be current rather than raise an old topic in most instances.

Hi all!

Does that mean that the said topic from 5 years ago is actually a topic from 15 years ago? Otherwise it doesn't really make sense if topics become archived after 10 years. 

Then again, how does one add post to a topic, when it has been already archived?

I'm feeling a bit confused. 

.. I actually wanted to ask some questions from this forum support desk, but I don't seem to find how to start a new topic. Can somebody help me with this? Thanks!

5 hours ago, manitoba said:

.. I actually wanted to ask some questions from this forum support desk, but I don't seem to find how to start a new topic. Can somebody help me with this? Thanks!

To start a new topic in any forum, go to the index page of the forum you want to post in, at the top right there should be a green "Start new topic" button, click it ????

As to the archiving rationalle, when you find out what it is please let me know, I have no idea whatsoever.

OP, often gents of a certain age, those who aren't so keen with forums/social media, or possibly not seeing straight after a few Changs, will sometimes click on a thread that's been dead for months or even years in some cases.  They comment enthusiastically, as if it's an active, on-going discussion, without realizing the last post they quoted was from like, 3 years ago (or whatever). 

Always a bit of fun to see those, and surely, an erudite Forum member quick on the keyboard, will poke fun at that guy.  "Bump".  ????

Archived