Drunken Farang Causes Motor Vehicle Accident.......

libya 115

Source: Pattaya People: March 19th 2007

Drunken Farang Causes Accident

A drunken foreigner caused a huge accident on Sukhumvit Road, involving 6 vehicles. His nationality and name is unknown since at the time of the accident he was so drunk that he couldn’t give any statement.

The Dongtan Police were informed at 11.30 pm on Saturday 17th March that an accident occurred at a U-Turn on Sukhumvit Road – almost at the edge of Pattaya and one person was slightly injured.

At the scene the Police and Rescuers found 3 damaged pickup trucks, 2 cars, and one motorbike.

At the U-Turn, a motorbike and a pickup were making their turn into the mainstream traffic. Coming at speed plus being drunk; the foreigner ran into them both.

From this hard smash, the foreigner’s pickup truck swerved over to the other side of the road, and hit a passing car. The car collided with a pickup truck and a car behind tried to stop suddenly but they lost control and hit the other car.

At the moment the police have charged 2 careless drivers being the unknown foreigner and a Thai man who drove carelessly on the other side of the road. More investigation and negotiations will be made after the foreigner sobers up.

At the U-Turn, a motorbike and a pickup were making their turn into the mainstream traffic. Coming at speed plus being drunk; the foreigner ran into them both.
since at the time of the accident he was so drunk

maybe he was drunk

maybe he wasnt

many of these u-turn accidents are due to u-turners trying to turn too hastily and completely misjudging the speed of the oncoming traffic , which has priority.

did the police breathalyse him before concluding he was drunk , or was he just too shocked and shaken after the smash to be fully coherent.

i think we should be given more facts before condemning this foriegner to a session in the thai visa stocks.

Edited by taxexile

Well, he was reported to be drunk. Let's not assume that, though. Let's not even assume he was driving in the Pattaya area at the time. Let's not assume there even was an accident that night. Let's just wait and see what else is reported that we will not believe either.

Well, he was reported to be drunk. Let's not assume that, though. Let's not even assume he was driving in the Pattaya area at the time. Let's not assume there even was an accident that night. Let's just wait and see what else is reported that we will not believe either.

judging by the record of reporting accuracy of the pattaya press , and judging by the speed with which the police forces there are wont to jump to conclusions , conclusions sometimes so unlikely and preposterous as to be unbelievable , it would be prudent to withold judgement on any and all stories emanating from pattaya until concrete proof has been delivered and confirmed.

pattaya stories are always readable , always interesting but should always be taken , like smiths crisps , with a pinch of salt.

Actually, I totally and completely agree with you about the reporting in Thailand, Pattaya specifically. I was just being a little facetious (sp?). Perhaps, there should be a 7 day news delay enforced in Thailand so that "journalists" can gather there facts more conscienciously.

since at the time of the accident he was so drunk
maybe he was drunk

maybe he wasnt

many of these u-turn accidents are due to u-turners trying to turn too hastily and completely misjudging the speed of the oncoming traffic , which has priority.

did the police breathalyse him before concluding he was drunk , or was he just too shocked and shaken after the smash to be fully coherent.

i think we should be given more facts before condemning this foriegner to a session in the thai visa stocks.

And how would you define "facts"? Also from newspaper reports? Or would you investigate the accident scene as well as interview victims and witnesses so as to get your "facts" ?.

In so far, we have to rely on news reporting, and that is exactly what we are doing here. Yes, we do have to take a pinch of salt when reading such reports. But again, when facts are presented before your eyes, are they still facts? Or again, may be........ it was ........

There is a lot of drunk driving going on, no point in pretending otherwise. In fact, when was the last time you know anyone was fined for anything other than missing helmet/seatbelt or driving in the fast lane (whether passing or not). Seems to be the law in Thailand is one thing, what the cops actually go for is something completely different.

I saw them at work again this morning, pulling trucks over , creating traffic on what should be a flowing 4 lane highway, collecting bribes from low paid truck drivers, money dropped on the cab's floor. Like cockroaches, they thrive on what others make. I love honking my horn at them for about 30 seconds when I drive by. Useless pr!cks.

I saw them at work again this morning, pulling trucks over , creating traffic on what should be a flowing 4 lane highway, collecting bribes from low paid truck drivers, money dropped on the cab's floor. Like cockroaches, they thrive on what others make. I love honking my horn at them for about 30 seconds when I drive by. Useless pr!cks.

Forgive me for my ignorance. I have only been in Thailand for 10 months now. (Not counting the numerous trips over the last 2 years). Why are they ( I assumed they are bib) collecting bribes from low paid drivers? What has this gotta do with the said accident?