Mortar Recipe

SoSoCNX

I do a lot of walling here and yes if you  dont mix correct its an uphill battle.

I do 4:1 with 0.5 bucket of water.

Sand must be the fine building sand (sai charb) they call it rendering sand.

They key ingredient is washing up liquid ,a few squirts into the water. It acts as a retarder, stops it drying out fast, makes it sticky and smooth.

Without the dishwash the water will soak into the bvricks in seconds.

To help also, keep your bricks in a bucket of water, so thry cannot absorb more water from the mortar.

Always keep your mixed mortar covered, or in the shade.

And thats all there is to it

6 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I do a lot of walling here and yes if you  dont mix correct its an uphill battle.

I do 4:1 with 0.5 bucket of water.

Sand must be the fine building sand (sai charb) they call it rendering sand.

They key ingredient is washing up liquid ,a few squirts into the water. It acts as a retarder, stops it drying out fast, makes it sticky and smooth.

Without the dishwash the water will soak into the bvricks in seconds.

To help also, keep your bricks in a bucket of water, so thry cannot absorb more water from the mortar.

Always keep your mixed mortar covered, or in the shade.

And thats all there is to it

Nah, don't agree. I've done all my rendering with sharp sand.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

Nah, don't agree. I've done all my rendering with sharp sand.

I didnt talk about rendering, the above is for brickwork and general stuff.

But as you mentoned it, rendering here is done with the same sand,never grit sand...sai gor...more often done with a bagged render mix nowjust adding water.

The mix for both mortar and rendering differs from UK 5:1and 4:1 respectively because the cement here is pathetically inferior with little opc and the sand here is nowhere near as fine.

If you can make a render mix with grit here then i take my hat off to you.....if i had one

1 50 kilo bag of cement, 11 "mortar carriers" of sand and water "to taste" for mortar.  If you want to add gravel  for flooring, etc.  add 11 mortar carriers of gravel to the above. A Thai recipe that was used when I built my house 21 years ago and it's still standing.

Don't let them try to stretch the mix by adding more gravel or sand.

The posters above seem determined to ignore the recommended one volume of cement to 3 - 4 volumes of sand, as written on the cement sacks (drawings for those that can't read Thai). Whether the sand is fine or not is not important unless you want a fine render and I have never had the impression that the cement is inferior in quality.

Keep your bricks in a bucket of water!? No need, tiles maybe but bricks? I may have lain thousands here in Thailand and I never did or saw anyone else, doing that, nor even heard of it.

The cement here is absolutely inferior to what they sell in the uk.

Here, they have two grades of bagged cement, the cheaper being a general cement, weaker because of the quant of portland. Then for 30bt more abag there is the better stuff(Tiger i think is one)

The 1:4 mix as opposed to a typical uk 1:5 1:6 mix is because the cement is weak and less sand makes it stronger.

Adding more sand and you may aswell wall them dry.

Certainly need to dunk some of the hand made facing bricks and they are like sponges especially in the direct sunshine, its all about controlling rapid absorption

Archived