ED Visa Mayhem

It seems the powers that be have added yet another addition to their portfolio of ways to make farang and foreigners leave this country. I've caught wind from a friend that at his Thai language school, almost 100% of ED visa applicants have recently been denied at the Vientiane consulate. New rules are going into affect that state you can only have 1 ED visa within your passport, obtaining a second year is frowned upon and maybe even totally impossible. I honestly don't understand the logic of these people, it really does seem as if they are doing everything they can to make it harder to stay here long term as a foreigner. 1 year is not enough for most people to learn the Thai language in terms of speaking and reading and writing. 
Has anybody else heard of similar stories with ED visa applications? 

• Haha 1

Yes heard that schools are advising NOT to go to Vientiane. Still don't know about savanakhet, haven't seen a report someone get denied a second ED lately.

Hopefully somebody comes with good news from there.

Thai consulate in Malaysia and Myanmar want to see a police clearance certificate.

Thai consulate in Cambodia offer only Ed visas to cambodians.

I already said it in a similar thread. APPLY FOR YOUR ED VISA IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY! There is no official rule to do that, but it seems that it`s more and more enforced. So it`s not a problem about the ED visa itself, but about the issuing place. The language school branch is still an important one in Thailand, but they are just assuming that a person never returning to his/her home country is not a genuine student/tourist (makes 0 sense, but that`s what`s going on)

I really don`t get it...so many guys here look for long-term strategies, but forget the vital thing WHERE to apply. My suggestion would be to sort everything out after the beginning of each year in one`s home country. 

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Thanks 2

Why would you want to bother learning Thai? Especially in this political climate. If you're not on an O visa you're just a short timer anyway. 75m people speak and write this ancient, slow, simple language. You won't use a word of it outside the country.

Meaningful conversation lol?

Working Thai you can learn on your own in six months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

I really don`t get it...so many guys here look for long-term strategies, but forget the vital thing WHERE to apply. My suggestion would be to sort everything out after the beginning of each year in one`s home country. 

Apparently what you don't get us these are the guys who haven't woken up to the fact this visa lost its magic years ago. ED visa is not a long term strategy. It's a desperate strategy.

They don't go home bc they lack the funds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpanishExpat said:

I already said it in a similar thread. APPLY FOR YOUR ED VISA IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY! There is no official rule to do that, but it seems that it`s more and more enforced. So it`s not a problem about the ED visa itself, but about the issuing place. The language school branch is still an important one in Thailand, but they are just assuming that a person never returning to his/her home country is not a genuine student/tourist (makes 0 sense, but that`s what`s going on)

Completely agree with Spanish expat. I applied for a Ed Visa to learn Muay Thai, In London last November. Gave me 9 hassle free months living in Thailand. Even lost some weight doing the MT lessons. Whats could be easier?!?

There are at least 4 ways to stay in Thailand long term:

You are at least 50 years old

Married to a Thai

Have a job with a work permit 

Have an Elite visa

I agree that it takes more than a year to master the Thai language. You didn’t say what your long term goals are and why it is necessary to learn Thai. You didn’t say if you are enrolled in a university degree program. It is not unreasonable to think that staying in Thailand for a year or so is plenty of tourist time to experience the country. There is a gaping hole in Thai immigration policy for people under 50 to stay longer as a tourist. It would be nice if there was a way for people to apply to stay longer while demonstrating they have to means to support themselves.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

ED visas and tourist visas were abused by people for years and now it is coming to a end.

I was actually disappointed when I did a year's Thai course - it was a nicely set up school with a nicely set up classroom, but no scope for real education. The teacher had also been instructed to spell words out English style (simply saying the names of each letter) rather than doing it properly (spelling in Thai for people learning reading is phonetic from Kindergarten).

Less than half the students really wanted to learn anything - and once they realised they didn't really need to attend then there weren't many regulars, and most didn't attend on a regular basis...

The test was a joke too. That was maybe ten years ago... I forget now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

I was actually disappointed when I did a year's Thai course - it was a nicely set up school with a nicely set up classroom, but no scope for real education. The teacher had also been instructed to spell words out English style (simply saying the names of each letter) rather than doing it properly (spelling in Thai for people learning reading is phonetic from Kindergarten).

Less than half the students really wanted to learn anything - and once they realised they didn't really need to attend then there weren't many regulars, and most didn't attend on a regular basis...

The test was a joke too. That was maybe ten years ago... I forget now.

That's a shame, I had a great time studying in Hua Hin. Great teachers and pretty much all students were there to learn.

My mate had his application for a 2nd year ED visa denied at Vientiane last week. He was going for Thai Language Year 2 (advanced class), apparently they told him that he failed the Thai test after asking him a few questions in Thai to which he answered. His attendance has been excellent and was all documented.

I am impressed with his spoken Thai skills after just one year at school (plus private lessons on top) and he can hold a conversation in Thai pretty well. So it's appears very unfair on him.

He had to come back as a Tourist to collect his stuff and will head home in a few weeks time.

They recommended that he tries in his home country to get the ED Visa!

2 hours ago, Martyp said:

There are at least 4 ways to stay in Thailand long term:

You are at least 50 years old

Married to a Thai

Have a job with a work permit 

Have an Elite visa

I agree that it takes more than a year to master the Thai language. You didn’t say what your long term goals are and why it is necessary to learn Thai. You didn’t say if you are enrolled in a university degree program. It is not unreasonable to think that staying in Thailand for a year or so is plenty of tourist time to experience the country. There is a gaping hole in Thai immigration policy for people under 50 to stay longer as a tourist. It would be nice if there was a way for people to apply to stay longer while dembonstrating they have to means to support themselves.

Well, schools hire NNES on Ed VISAs (being desperate, too) and they won't bother with a B-VISA until the teacher has passed the probationary period.

Driving thousands into illegality.

Watch and observe what happens over the coming months. Unless you are working or married, you will not get a visa in the region. Those people will be expected to apply for extensions in Thailand, not get visa after visa.
Others will need to apply for visas in their country of passport. The days of visa after visa are coming to an end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Watch and observe what happens over the coming months. Unless you are working or married, you will not get a visa in the region. Those people will be expected to apply for extensions in Thailand, not get visa after visa.
Others will need to apply for visas in their country of passport. The days of visa after visa are coming to an end.

old news. Visa runs are scaming the system and no way to prove these guys have any money. If your not 50 with 800k your time is up...say hello Cambodia!!

1 hour ago, madmen said:

old news. Visa runs are scaming the system and no way to prove these guys have any money. If your not 50 with 800k your time is up...say hello Cambodia!!

Can I ask a question? 

These threads been ongoing for years. Meaning ways to stay ongoing in los. Along with the stone throwing between under 50 vs over. 

If I was under and could not afford Thai elite visa I would rotate between SE Asian countries. I go to Vietnam every month. Then return los. I love Thailand but what's the obsession. Is it the Thai gf here?? Don't get it. My plan would be 3 month in los 3 month country like Vietnam. Rotate and do it LONG term.

What am I missing. As for few positive post re learning Thai with ed visa...

Geezus if that's true you represent very small %. Most are using it as means to get a yr in los. 

Best way to learn Thai is go live in Issan village with no farang.

6 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

They are assuming that a person who calls himself an (Spanish) expat is not a student or tourist.

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can I ask a question? 

These threads been ongoing for years. Meaning ways to stay ongoing in los. Along with the stone throwing between under 50 vs over. 

If I was under and could not afford Thai elite visa I would rotate between SE Asian countries. I go to Vietnam every month. Then return los. I love Thailand but what's the obsession. Is it the Thai gf here?? Don't get it. My plan would be 3 month in los 3 month country like Vietnam. Rotate and do it LONG term.

Geezus if that's true you represent very small %. Most are using it as means to get a yr in los. 

You will eventually meet the tomboy io at the airport and she will yell to you: "why you never go back your country?". Your plan is fine as long as you don't go to Thailand more than once a year. 

Edited by Tayaout

14 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

You will eventually meet the tomboy io at the airport and she will yell to you: "why you never go back your country?". Your plan is fine as long as you go to Thailand. 

Totally BS ..LOL

never been yeworse at or seen them yelling. That's just not Thai style..they will however question with a smile which is even worse

Edited by madmen

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can I ask a question? 

Yes gf's play a big part also many of us get tired of the moving around. Expats just want to settle down mostly besides maybe the beers are cheaper in other countries, Thailand <deleted>s all over them in every other aspect.

22 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

You will eventually meet the tomboy io at the airport and she will yell to you: "why you never go back your country?". Your plan is fine as long as you don't go to Thailand more than once a year. 

Unless I have you mixed up with another member, I recall you living/visiting los many times on pretty much continuous basis. Were you not refused entry airport? 

If wrong I apologize. I only mention because you state " once a year" ...is that serious.

18 minutes ago, madmen said:

Totally BS ..LOL

never been yeworse at or seen them yelling. That's just not Thai style..they will however question with a smile which is even worse

OK maybe not yelling but I saw that woman getting pretty aggressive but not with me. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Unless I have you mixed up with another member, I recall you living/visiting los many times on pretty much continuous basis. Were you not refused entry airport? 

If wrong I apologize. I only mention because you state " once a year" ...is that serious.

Yes I was denied after something like 5 months and many years of on/off Thailand. I came back and have since married and got "proper" visa. 

Once a year on TV visa is probably safe but not more if they notice you just travel around. This is my opinion and might vary with luck. 

Edited by Tayaout

2 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Yes I was denied after something like 5 months and many years of on/off Thailand. I came back and have since married and got "proper" visa.

Thank you. Your post I quoted is incorrect. You were denied entry given EXTENSIVE history. Bit misleading to state your post " don't come to Thailand more than once a year".

<deleted>

57 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It`s not about being able to afford the EV, but it just makes 0 sense. You pay to breath thai air, that`s it. It`s the limited way in Thailand to make short-term money. They rather should focus on the investment visa and loosen the actual hurdles. Discussed that with thai friends and they love my suggestion. Let`s say minimum of 1Mio Baht/Investment into a thai project one favors + minimum 65k/month on foreign transactions+ basic language test. For that you get a 5yr visa, which can be re-newed. Of course, everything done professionally with a business plan etc. THAT would attract qualitative farangs and would be something innovative for people under 50.

• Haha 2