Why are so many expats oddballs?

Essex Reject

For the ones who are really out in orbit, not always sure if they were like that before, or have gone off the deep end being in Thailand too long.  Maybe drinking, especially the rot gutt krap, will do a number on the old brain, among other organs.

At any rate, I'll take any of them over the nutters back "home". 

Just spent 2 months back in Murica.  Pulled up to a bank branch, closed, but just needed the ATM.  Lady who was obvioulsly living in her car, parked two empty spaces away, was at the ATM.  Serious frustration vibe, she was animated, then calm, then error beeps from the machine and she would lose it again.   I stood way back by the front of my car, waiting, and I could tell she became more aware I was back there, waiting.

She turned around suddenly and yelled at me, "GO TO HELL !!!!". 

Oh s**t!  She started flailing and yelling incoherently, so I check binned, got in the car and pulled away.  She ran a few steps toward the parking lot, holding up her cell phone, like filming me, screaming at me as we drove away.  

My wife was like, WT Ef was that?  :blink: 

"Welcome back to California, babe."

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

I'd say it's the oposite. They realised that there was something  wrong with their countries/governments.

Agreed. The most dynamic people I have met in my life are long-term travelers. The sheeple can keep their boring, vanilla lives; I'll take the chaos and dealing with exceptional people, even the oddballs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

I mean compared to normal folk back home.

Really. You must feel good with yourself. Don´t see anything wrong there, do you?

Just maybe, you´re an oddball in someones opinion. Never thought about that, have you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Matzzon said:

Really. You must feel good with yourself. Don´t see anything wrong there, do you?

Just maybe, you´re an oddball in someones opinion. Never thought about that, have you?

Haven't I? If you say so. You sound very angry, go and have a lie down. I'd wager you're an oddball btw, just based on averages of expats here and who post on here.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Defintely has to be Jack playing the part of Matzzon in the upcoming movie....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

Haven't I? If you say so. You sound very angry, go and have a lie down. I'd wager you're an oddball btw, just based on averages of expats here and who post on here.

Not angry at all. Just pointing out that it´s very narrow minded to see all the fault on other and not on yourself.

Btw, I have even rounded balls.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

What makes you a good judge? Like being in an asylum and protesting you are the only sane one.

This really is straightforward, there are normal folk and folk who are just plain odd, of which there are many here. If you are genuinely in denial of that then I can only conclude one thing.

Just now, Matzzon said:

Not angry at all. Just pointing out that it´s very narrow minded to see all the fault on other and not on yourself.

Btw, I have even rounded balls.

I have faults, but I am NOT odd. Many are here, it's not complicated to understand.

Just now, Essex Reject said:

This really is straightforward, there are normal folk and folk who are just plain odd, of which there are many here. If you are genuinely in denial of that then I can only conclude one thing.

Once again, what makes you a good judge to decide what constitutes odd behaviour? Hippies were considered to be odd by so-called normal folk, but were they?

• Like 2

It depends where you meet them. Bangkok expats are mostly normal hard working people with a business.
In Pattaya you will find all the oddballs, but there are a few normal ones among us. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

many are rejects from their own country, so there's usually something wrong with them

maybe you speak from your own experience, which country rejected you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

tritesticular

I thought that was the name of the new SUV from Toyota!

Industry sources have leaked that the backing music for the launch is to be:

" Hitler, had only got one ball,

Wgandson, it seems has several more..."

Edited by JAG