Hi,

I am a UK citizen & have been coming to thailand for many years, for the last 5 years i have been using (SETV) & staying for around 4 months with extensions etc, as everyone is aware they have changed the regulations, proof of funds, return ticket & proof of stay, i have always booked one way as my start dates for work varies, i can book a return no problem & if need be change my return flight, i will have around £5000 in my account for proof of funds, so that should cover my stay, i have a few concerms, i have been staying with my girlfriend for the last 5 years, she rents a small bungalow, as i have always done (TM30) a copy of the owners ID Card etc, would this be efficient with maybe a written letter from the owner stating the date i will be staying at there premises with my name & passport numer etc? Also are they expecting the return date out of thailand to be 60 days with a possible 30 days extension? I am planning to arrive on the 3 November, will stay for 3 months, fly to Malaysia to get a Visa & return to the UK around the middle of March, which i have done for the last couple of years without problems.....

Would appreciate any advice as although i have never overstayed etc im always worried when appling for a Visa & i want to get it right first time without any problems.....

Thanks in Advance.....

Baz

OP, good advice above however if its a regular 5 month only (per yr) I can't see why not just stick to existing pattern. Obtain setv then extend. After that go border for visa exempt entry. Can extend that.

A variation would fly to los ve and plan on short trip to Saigon to obtain setv. Good consulate, not busy. Also being UK your entitled to 15 day visa exempt. You Thai gf also. Just a suggestion.

I've covered a lot of your queries for applying for SETV from the London Thai Embassy on my own thread @baz69er and how I got around a lot of the requirements. In short, you don't need to supply an actual paid-for-flight confirmation, as I only supplied a quoted price confirmation with my name on it and still got my SETV. So long as the dates fall in line within the 60-days they won't question it. For more details, have a thorough read of my own thread.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1118112-my-guide-to-online-e-visa-applications-via-london-thai-embassy-60-day-setv-by-post/#comments

I notice you didn't say how you intend to go about getting a SETV, whether that be from the London Thai Embassy or by a consular in person? Using the online process you first need to give them an address where you're staying as part of the application process. In your case it's a girlfriend's address, so you'll need to supply an invitation letter. The Supporting Documents state that if you don't have a hotel booking confirmation, then you need to supply an "invitation letter from family/friends in Thailand" of where you're intending staying. Again, I cover this in some detail on my own thread with regards to having only booked a 2-night hotel stay for the first few days. Where I go after, they're not concerned about. 

I got my SETV without having an actual flight booked (again see my own thread) but the only drawback I see about extending beyond the 60-days is the onward flight, which you're intending to do. It'll be down to the airline you choose whether they let you board if you don't have a return flight. Some will, some won't. But I'm sure you're aware of all that as you're a seasoned traveller.

12 hours ago, Senior Player said:

I've covered a lot of your queries for applying for SETV from the London Thai Embassy on my own thread @baz69er and how I got around a lot of the requirements. In short, you don't need to supply an actual paid-for-flight confirmation, as I only supplied a quoted price confirmation with my name on it and still got my SETV. So long as the dates fall in line within the 60-days they won't question it. For more details, have a thorough read of my own thread.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1118112-my-guide-to-online-e-visa-applications-via-london-thai-embassy-60-day-setv-by-post/#comments

I notice you didn't say how you intend to go about getting a SETV, whether that be from the London Thai Embassy or by a consular in person? Using the online process you first need to give them an address where you're staying as part of the application process. In your case it's a girlfriend's address, so you'll need to supply an invitation letter. The Supporting Documents state that if you don't have a hotel booking confirmation, then you need to supply an "invitation letter from family/friends in Thailand" of where you're intending staying. Again, I cover this in some detail on my own thread with regards to having only booked a 2-night hotel stay for the first few days. Where I go after, they're not concerned about. 

I got my SETV without having an actual flight booked (again see my own thread) but the only drawback I see about extending beyond the 60-days is the onward flight, which you're intending to do. It'll be down to the airline you choose whether they let you board if you don't have a return flight. Some will, some won't. But I'm sure you're aware of all that as you're a seasoned traveller.

Hi thanks for the info, i will have a read through it, i was applying for my visa online.

Cheers

Baz

• Like 1

For the Tm30 ask your girlfriend to search the app store for "Section 38". She will need to register and it can take a couple weeks to complete. Then she can register you anytime you come to visit her. Otherwise you will need to visit immigration or do it via mail which is annoying. 

Edit: Here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.section38

You need a Google account that has Thailand location. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, baz69er said:

I would but you need £5000 - £6000 in the bank for a certain period prior to applying for the visa which i wont have....

Some advice for next time > It would be worthwhile to borrow a sum of money from friends/family approx 6 months before your next application so that you can demonstrate that you have the £5000 - £6000 for 6 months in your account, and then apply for an METV.  That would also solve the return flight issue, as this is only required for an SETV, while for an METV a return flight is not required.

When applying for the visa you also need to indicate where you stay, and a hotel booking for the first 2-3 days is fine.  As I stayed with my girlfriend, I simply booked a hotel with a free cancellation option, which I then cancelled after the Visa was provided.

6 hours ago, muffy said:

WHY DO YOU NEED A RETURN TICKET WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE , WALK ,TAKE A BUS OR TRAIN OUT OF THE COUNTRY ? Amazing Thailand .????????

You obviously don’t travel much do you. U.K., USA, New Zealand, Indonesia, Philippines and even Brazil require proof of onward travel in their immigration laws. 

• Like 2