visiting in November, bring £ or baht

I'm visiting in November for 3 weeks, 2 in Pattaya and 1 up in Ayutthaya.  I usually take with me enough baht to get through day 1, taxi from airport etc then change up £ serling in new notes at Superrich or TT excahnge.

Whats advisable to do this year? I know no ones a fortune teller, but i changed up £1,000 in May and got 42 thb to the £.  Should i change up for sterling now, or bring out £ notes in november?  (Given it will be 6 days after Brexit..............)

What would you guys do??

14 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Get Baht changed up in the UK?   I've always got a better rate in thailand with notes sterling?

Well you know already, whatever the rate is, it is can't see there will be any super big changes in exchanges rates after brexit and for only 3 weeks holiday why worry.

Have a good holiday.  

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

From UK bring baht unless you have a bank facility ATM card that does not charge.

From my experience it is Usually a <deleted> rate in the UK compared to here.

The OP should check what he can get as exchange rate there compared to the bank rates here that he can check on line.

Superrich online rate currently 37.35 v 37.6 (for over 50 GBP) which is only 0.7 % spread so you pay only 0.35 % from the mid rate. that must be better than you can get in the UK. its a lot better than the banks here where the spread is about 3 to 4%.

Spending on a Uk credit card (But not Cash advances) is not as bad as it may sound and means that you dont have to carry cash around. You get the middle rate of exchange at the time although you pay the fixed 2 to 3 % charge depending on your bank. I understood that It was European rules that introduced the mid rate requirements. i dont know yet if it will change if UK leaves the EU.

• Like 1

Its a gamble because of Brexit - if there is a deal the GBP will jump up a few points immediately.

If there is no deal it might drop a few more points.

if there is a delay it will probably stay around the same.

In either case you'll get the best rates for cash in Thailand at the 'SuperRich' money exchange places. (it has to be a super rich though not any old exchange counter)

Please let us all know what you think of the prices in Thailand these days compared to the UK after your holiday.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

From UK bring baht unless you have a bank facility ATM card that does not charge.

I would have thought that it would be better to bring Sterling and change it up at Superrich when arriving in Suvarnabhumi. Much better rate of exchange than you would get in the UK!

• Like 2

I suggest you bring in Pound Stir!ing .At the moment the Thb against the week £ is 37.37B . The £ will rise after the pull out of the EU 31st October. Change it as you need THB .SupperRich is the best place to change £. But he careful as there are a number of SRich and there not connected. Banks in England give poor rates change £ in T/Land at SRich

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

But to withdraw money from a Thai Bank ATM is 220B a withdrawal on Foreign credit or debit cards .Withdraw over the counter at any Bank showing a visa sign is better ,no charge

Edited by Percy P
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Get Baht changed up in the UK?   I've always got a better rate in thailand with notes sterling?

I agree. What country wants to have baht, whereas Thailand wants all of the foreign currency it can get its hands on. You'll most always do better changing your currency when you get to Thailand, but not at the airport!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, timendres said:

You have two competing forces. The Pound is not likely to be stronger in the timeframe you mention. On the other hand, Thailand needs to weaken the Baht (but seems unwilling/incapable). Tough call. I suspect you will get a better exchange here than there, so that is to be considered also.

Thai it self can not devalue it own money that would not stand up internationally . 

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

We're do you suggest he change it into Baht in the UK. Look on the internet to see Bank ex rates in the UK-Thailang.

Immigration in Thailand requests that you bring into the Kingdom 20,000 Baht or equivalent Foreign money. A/Port my ask you to sow you have it. Tourist have not been allowed in as they can not show that amount as required.

Edited by Percy P

22 hours ago, mrblonde said:

And your advising him to change into Baht in the UK,but you get a better ex in T/Land. 

Edited by Percy P

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

We're do you suggest he change it into Baht in the UK. Look on the internet to see Bank ex rates in the UK-Thailang.

Immigration in Thailand requests that you bring into the Kingdom 20,000 Baht or equivalent Foreign money. A/Port my ask you to sow you have it. Tourist have not been allowed in as they can not show that amount as required.

I don't think I have ever heard of a genuine tourist being denied entry for anything, least of all having 20k baht.  Note I said genuine tourist which to me means a person who visits for maybe 2 or 3 weeks and then goes elsewhere,  usually home. 

On 8/26/2019 at 6:49 PM, Kwasaki said:

Never Change into Baht in any foreign country, you will always get a terrible rate, possible exceptions are  neighbouring Southeast Asian countries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Never Change into Baht in any foreign country, you will always get a terrible rate, possible exceptions are  neighbouring Southeast Asian countries.

3 weeks holiday we're talking about personally over 3 weeks who gives a dam. 

29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well virtually 2,000 Baht isn't something I would throw away, but maybe you are too rich to bother

That's so miserable I'm not rich don't know what rich is apart from if your on holiday go into debt and enjoy yourself, banks are happy too. ????

Don't bring cash. Get yourself a Revolut card and load it up from your UK bank. The exchange rate is at the point of sale. The only downside are the ATM charges. However, Aeon bank only charge 150฿ per withdrawal up to 20,000฿. www.revolut.com

• Sad 1

On 8/26/2019 at 12:49 PM, Kwasaki said:

Very poor advice from someone who has not visited the UK in years. The pound to baht rate in the UK is aweful. Always bring £££ or a no fee credit card like the Halifax Clarity card

On 8/26/2019 at 6:52 PM, mrblonde said:

You get only 36,64 baht for the Pound today at Bangkok Bank. That's for bank notes. Maybe a bit better at Superrich at the airport.

On 8/26/2019 at 6:52 PM, mrblonde said:

Edited by Max69xl

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well you know already, whatever the rate is, it is can't see there will be any super big changes in exchanges rates after brexit and for only 3 weeks holiday why worry.

Have a good holiday.  

A hard Brexit and there will be changes in exchange rates. When Boris became the new PM the £ went down 5 baht immediately.

• Haha 1