Pigeons missing at Thae Phae gate, Chiang Mai

piewarmer

10:15 this morning out for my daily walk, Thae Phae gate usually has 200 tourists feeding pigeons, swelling in number lately...

Today there was not one pigeon to be seen. There was no-one selling bird food as well. The area was very clean.

Recently the don't feed the animals signs have been removed.

Relax, there's still plenty of pretty girls having photos taken in front of our iconic wall. 

I have some pictures of how they were getting rid of them last year. I would post them up but likely some people would get upset. This was in Thapae square, early morning, keep witness's to a minimum.

I don't like pigeons so ...  :thumbsup:

I believe they caught them a year or two ago took them out to 

the countryside and let them go,not realizing pigeons fly home,

where the get fed,so they were back before the workers,this

time if they have not returned..........they are dead.

regards worgeordie

13 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I believe they caught them a year or two ago took them out to 

the countryside and let them go,not realizing pigeons fly home,

They might have done that. I think they realized pretty quickly what was going on and took them to a final destination. But you are never going to get rid of all of them. 

I was on vacation for a couple months and was scared of what I would find on my condo ledge when I returned (no way to net the ledge in). Much to my surprise, pigeons were notable by their absence, I assume someone had taken matters into their own hands. That ledge overhangs the parking lot. So pigeon excrement drops on residents nice new cars ... that, I think was a SURE death sentence. 

However, they come back.

They are there, I see them everyday. There are no less than 3 or 4 people that sell bird food. And, there is a lady who has capitalized on a unique opportunity. When Chinese tourists pose in front of Pratu Taphae, they pay the lady who is strategically placed to wave a huge white flag which causes the pigeons to fly directly into the frame of the photo. I kid you not.

It was just timing on your part. They are  there 100%.

6 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

I have some pictures of how they were getting rid of them last year. I would post them up but likely some people would get upset. This was in Thapae square, early morning, keep witness's to a minimum.

I don't like pigeons so ...  :thumbsup:

I think an amount of them are now living in Mooh baans at San Sai. Take your choice of wake up calls at 0500 the Jackim that hides in our bedroom chirps and then pigeons outside on the power lines start up. Very annoying creatures I dont know who <deleted>s more of the two.

Now that we're on the subject ..err!

Whenever I visited that city I liked to hang around that area for a bit looking at the pigeons. It was always the same scene, parents and their little darlings in the middle of the birds laughing etc.,. The reason for the merriment was the kids making hugh leaps at the little critters in the hope of scareing them to death or something. ..Parents would look on with joy in support of this....and it would never occur to them to stop the children from doing this.

I used to study this behaviour closely and try to get into the mind of a child/adult..and why they thought this was great fun.

To me,...there is something in the soul of a person who enjoys scareing the living daylights out of these innocent creatures, very morbid and dark.

It denotes an "evilness" in our very being from the day we are conceived ...and in our "programming" since the beginning of time itself.

Really, explains a lot about "Man's in-humanity...to man"...and where it stems from.

PS....And you all thought I was just looking at the ladies..555.

I used to have a pigeon problem like many others.  Our dog's food was outside.  After bringing the dogfood inside, the pigeons, after a few days, left.

Remove their source of food and the problem is also removed.

11 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

I love them to eat, but they are so expensive here, that I can't afford them very often.

Trap your own, but need a fair few for a meal, and need to be sure the wild ones do not have parasites 

I found the answer to the missing pigeons, the police/local government were testing a noise generating machine at the gate that morning, the experiment worked well but it was only used for little while.

All back to normal yesterday as others have said.

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

It should be KFP - Kentucky Fried Pigeon

The sinewy, chewy, fatty chunks of bird that KFC serve in Thailand could really be anything. Not sure why in Western countries you get huge chunks of meat on your KFC 2-piece meal, but not in Thailand. Anyone would think that they actually like the gristle, skin and bone!

I took a walk the other day at a temple north of Zoes. Seems like the pigeons and the Chinese have moved there since the ban at Thapae. Lots of bird <deleted> and Chinese girls trying to get photos of the birds when they fly just in front of them. Whats up with that? Don´t they have birds in China?

22 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Now that we're on the subject ..err!

Whenever I visited that city I liked to hang around that area for a bit looking at the pigeons. It was always the same scene, parents and their little darlings in the middle of the birds laughing etc.,. The reason for the merriment was the kids making hugh leaps at the little critters in the hope of scareing them to death or something. ..Parents would look on with joy in support of this....and it would never occur to them to stop the children from doing this.

I used to study this behaviour closely and try to get into the mind of a child/adult..and why they thought this was great fun.

To me,...there is something in the soul of a person who enjoys scareing the living daylights out of these innocent creatures, very morbid and dark.

It denotes an "evilness" in our very being from the day we are conceived ...and in our "programming" since the beginning of time itself.

Really, explains a lot about "Man's in-humanity...to man"...and where it stems from.

PS....And you all thought I was just looking at the ladies..555.

I think you are thinking too much about this. I did it as a child, and all my four kids unprompted have done this for the fun of it, without trying to kill or injure the birds. None of us have turned into axe murderers - yet.

Archived