Pigeons missing at Thae Phae gate, Chiang Mai

piewarmer

I was recently in Chiang Mai.  I now hate going anywhere near the Thae Phae gate on account of the hundreds upon hundreds of pigeons there.  Yes the enterprising Thais are selling food for the tourists to feed the birds and are making money but in my opinion it's really stupid to allow this to prosper and grow.  No way would a lot of tourists want to run the gauntlet of pigeon droppings and commotion to get their photo by the wall and signage.

I have been to CM many times over the years but this seems to be something that's happened in the last few years.  A major retrograde step in my opinion.

It appeared most to the tourists buying bird seed were young Chinese and Koreans.  Say no more. We need to convince the Thais of the joys of pigeon pie or larp pigeon and maybe that would solve the problem. 

On 8/28/2019 at 11:44 AM, piewarmer said:

I found the answer to the missing pigeons, the police/local government were testing a noise generating machine at the gate that morning, the experiment worked well but it was only used for little while.

What's the purpose of the noise generating machine?

I passed by Thapae gate this morning. The Chinese tourists are back and so are the hundreds of pigeons surrounding them.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:19 PM, dingdongrb said:

For those who haven't tried it pigeon is pretty good. No different than morning dove but it does take quite a few of those buggers to get a good filling.

I wouldn’t eat buggers.

Archived