TM30: The form getting expats in Thailand into a bureaucratic tangle

webfact

11 minutes ago, kentrot said:

promote higher education for our Thai kids

That's not good at all.

Those kids will start moaning about politics in the future, which is a threat to "national security". Their national security, that is, they would like to stay in power if you don't mind. ???? It pays well.

Hong Kong and Taiwan can be used as a reference. Mother China is not happy.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GraThai said:

I totally agree that TM30 is an outdated law however I have lived here in Thailand for 30+  years and try to abide by all the rules including this one. Every time I return home from a trip she fills in the form pops into immigration and its done so what is the massive problem...unless of course people have something to hide?????

The fact that many of us travel around and return home, sometimes as much as multiple times per week.. Or have multiple homes within Thailand.. Now each of these trips needs a report, and each stay in a non hotel needs another report.. Utterly impractical. 

Its not the reporting, its the way in which they wish it to happen. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 3421abc said:

Great BBC picked up this story. Hopefully other news outlets will report as well. This should be an embarrassment for Thailand if they ever want to be a modern international country this kind of law only going against it.

who say they want to be  a modern international country.?..who ever thought about this bs..? to be a modern int. country...we are thais take it or leave it...modern int. country...what strange falang ideas...pai lai

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I now know a few Thai landlords are not interested in registering their properties so the onus is on the farang to do it but why does the tenant have to do it?

Should crack down on the owners

owner has to report you..if he dont HE receive a 1900 bhat fine...NOT YOU...if u go to samui and rent the ll have to do it ..regardless...if you are a landlord you have to do it for your falang customers...if you come back from trip u have to do it...if u visit your family house upcountry they have to do it....

if you move a lot for work or business every time u stay somewhere these people landlords of different kinds have to do it not you only once u come back home...

if they dont and police check them they receive the fine not you...

anyway not so complicate if u want to comply ..once i pay the fine for landlord as he is my friend.and we all did not know...the officer was surprised and say not me the thai has to pay it...

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

As long as the TM30 does not affect the minority of people in Thailand who have control of the majority of the money in Thailand nowt will change.

And it will never affect them. Believe me....TM 30 fines as condo owners are not the the only thing which is waived for them. Once you get to the level of power/control you can do basically EVERYTHING in this country without consequences. 

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

"Don't Cry for Me Thailand", I'm out of here. Farang are just not wanted here anymore so, "Goodbye"!

I just now made that decision to do so too.  next week, I will get my one year visa to vietnam.  7200 baht.  come and go as you please.  no headache.  my plan is to split my time between the PI and vietnam each year.  with maybe a 2 month stay in thailand at best.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GraThai said:

I totally agree that TM30 is an outdated law however I have lived here in Thailand for 30+  years and try to abide by all the rules including this one. Every time I return home from a trip she fills in the form pops into immigration and its done so what is the massive problem...unless of course people have something to hide?????

Your just popping it into immigration for me is a 1 1/2 hour drive one way let alone the standing around in the IO waiting to get served every time we go into the next province for shopping each month.  Then add the same trip every time we need to do a 90 day report.  What a lot of people on here dont understand when they say "whats the massive problem?" is that some IO's are not close by, In addition some IO's wont accept TM30's or 90 day reports by mail.  They tell us we have to attend the office.  The same goes with online.  You can only do TM30's or 90 day reports IF your IO accepts them online, our IO doesn't.  So its not so easy as you say and no we have nothing to hide!

I am retired so not as bad as some of these poor buggers who work and must take a Monday off work to attend to their TM30 needs because they wanted to go away for the weekend.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Well, I live in my dad's house, who is a retired Thai National, but now he is in Germany and he cannot fill out the TM 30. I just recently renewed my Non immigrant B visa

Now my dad is not in Thailand to register me via TM 30,

What do I do now, hahahaha???

I don't know the exact procedure or what the proper name is, but you get "power of attorney"  from your dad to file the TM30 in absence on his behalf.  Depending on how strictly your Imm office regards the TM30, you may get fined the 2,000 even if the failure to file is not your fault.  Sorry to be the one to tell you.

The "TM 30" form is not difficult to complete. What is making me smile is that the onwers of condo's, house's, etc are required to report who is staying their. BUT it's the "foreigners" who gets to pay the fine or should i say the "petrol" money. As a foreign in Thailand we just have to accept! Yeah it's annoying but as foreigners we are not going to get the strange "Law" changed! Saying that the United Kingdom still has strange laws and one is if you have less than 2 shillings and six pence in your pocket you are a vagrant! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Incidentally the relevant section of the law (Immigration Act) is as follows (bold face mine):

"The householder, the owner or possessor of a dwelling place, or a hotel manager, who takes in, as a resident, an alien with permission to temporarily stay in the Kingdom,  shall notify the competent official at the immigration office located in the locality in which the house, dwelling place or hotel is located within twenty four hours from the time the alien has taken residence".

Now  my reading of this is that a new report needs only to be made if you are newly taking up residence.  If, after reporting your residence at a private house, condo or apartment when you moved in (and again every year when you extend your permission to stay) you continue to reside there permanently (you still pay rent/have a lease or own the place; still pay utilities etc; still have your belongings there etc, you intend to return and it is still your primary place of residence)  then to my reading the law does nto mandate that people to re-notify immigration just because they visited someplace else overnight.

I can see requiring hotels etc to report all  guests, the hotel has no way of knowing if you have a permanent residence elsewhere etc. But people on 1 year extensions of stay who have established a long term residence (as most have) that they continue to maintain, should not be required to report every time they come back to it after spending a night away from home. It is absurd, accomplishes nothing and the wording of the law does not require it.

Well how you read it, even if you read it right, have no substance. The reality is how IO interpret it and that not looks to be the same. 

• Like 1

If a person were to own a condo in his name and was registered at the Immigration office how would he get nabbed for not filing in a form if he visited his wifes' family up north for several weeks at a time.

• Like 1

The "TM 30" form is not difficult to complete. What is making me smile is that the onwers of condo's, house's, etc are required to report who is staying their. BUT it's the "foreigners" who gets to pay the fine or should i say the "petrol" money. As a foreign in Thailand we just have to accept! Yeah it's annoying but as foreigners we are not going to get the strange "Law" changed! Saying that the United Kingdom still has strange laws and one is if you have less than 2 shillings and six pence in your pocket you are a vagrant! 

Just as a matter of self interest and the Thai Government slogan of "Good people in and Bad out" How many bad have been found????????????

• Like 1