TM30: The form getting expats in Thailand into a bureaucratic tangle

webfact

7 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

I know of someone who stayed in a hotel last night, and not in his permanent residence (a house) 
Magically enough, this guy came home this morning without any issues or fines 

Well, if the follow the China model to the end, considering that the reporting timeframe is 24hrs, in China reports indicate that people get a knock at the door after about 26 hours (if no report was made).

But the Thai model is still in its infancy, only fines at Immigration so far when requesting services, and random condo checks.

Edited by lkv

11 hours ago, mania said:

So your saying the long process of getting a yearly visa + 90 day checks leaves a lot of hiding space??

BTW: you say you have lived in Thailand 30+ years but joined this forum 12 minutes ago.

That is a record for sure ????

There were and surely are crimnals among the so called expat community. Read the data of last 2 years. Ponzi schemes, crimes commited back home, peodophile, child molesters, money laundering, credit card fraud, earning from business and not paying taxes with visa non O, overstay even 11 years, online fraud, selling drugs, betting, murders etc etc the list is long........

These are not exclusive acts of Thais but of expats, for your knowledge!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, lkv said:

Well, if the follow the China model to the end, considering that the reporting timeframe is 24hrs, in China reports indicate that people get a knock at the door after about 26 hours.

But the Thai model is still in its infancy, only fines at Immigration so far when requesting services, and random condo checks.

I don't believe Thailand has the competence, knowledge and prowess to roll out such a professional surveillance and harassment system as China. The grass roots are there though yeah, but I don't think it will happen, hopefully 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

I don't believe Thailand has the competence, knowledge and prowess to roll out such a professional surveillance and harassment system as China. The grass roots are there though yeah, but I don't think it will happen, hopefully 

Sort of looks it's headed that way though, with:

-all 10 fingers on biometrics.

-TM30's.

- more and more police on the streets everywhere.

-registration of BTS cards.

Plus many other fantastic previous ideas that failed to be implemented such as:

- sim cards that track foreigners

- information forms detailing the bars you frequent etc, for long stayers.

And more.

I do agree with not having China's technology. This is the only thing stopping them to become like them, when it comes to surveillance, so far. In my opinion.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

I know of someone who stayed in a hotel last night, and not in his permanent residence (a house) 
Magically enough, this guy came home this morning without any issues or fines 

YET.

When he goes to do his next extension it may be another story.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GraThai said:

I totally agree that TM30 is an outdated law however I have lived here in Thailand for 30+  years and try to abide by all the rules including this one. Every time I return home from a trip she fills in the form pops into immigration and its done so what is the massive problem...unless of course people have something to hide?????

Well I guess everyone doesn’t have a SHE working for them who is available to POP into immigration and fill out forms for them??

Do things yourself and see how you like it??

8 minutes ago, lkv said:

Sort of looks it's headed that way though, with:

-all 10 fingers on biometrics.

-TM30's.

- more and more police on the streets everywhere.

-registration of BTS cards.

Plus many other fantastic previous ideas that failed to be implemented such as:

- sim cards that track foreigners

- information forms detailing the bars you frequent etc, for long stayers.

And more.

I do agree with not having China's technology. This is the only thing stopping them to become like them, when it comes to surveillance, so far. In my opinion.

In the U.K. they can track you via your mobile phone, it would be interesting to know if they can in Thailand if that’s the case why do a TM30, they know exactly where you are ?

• Like 1

He can do it online... Or you do it online. You just need a copy of the front page of the Tabian Baan and a copy of your dad's Thai I.D. to upload to register. Then you fill out the associated form for yourself as well. 

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

Exactly, I registered my gf ( I live in her house ) using her ID and Tabian Bahn , I used my email address.
The username and password came after 21 days, I logged on as her and submitted a TM30 quoting myself as the alien staying in her house.

The system does work but obviously some IO’s are reluctant to issue the username and password.
I was surprised that my IO ( Ayutthaya )actually replied as they don’t do 90 days online.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Exactly, I registered my gf ( I live in her house ) using her ID and Tabian Bahn , I used my email address.
The username and password came after 21 days, I logged on as her and submitted a TM30 quoting myself as the alien staying in her house.

The system does work but obviously some IO’s are reluctant to issue the username and password.
I was surprised that my IO ( Ayutthaya )actually replied as they don’t do 90 days online.

21 days... I thought that was a joke 

39 minutes ago, amykat said:

Well I guess everyone doesn’t have a SHE working for them who is available to POP into immigration and fill out forms for them??

Do things yourself and see how you like it??

I do. (Do it myself)

Its as simple as smiling and about 2 minutes to scribble the information..

25 baht for the photocopier service. 

And about 10 minutes later all done.

FYI,

if I'm traveling away for a few days I usually use my thai driving license to check in the hotel 

It has the old address on it..lol.

It is big brother at its worst though.

Paranoia excessive..

Even working in China I didn't have to report the address every time I was away for a few days...

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Well, I live in my dad's house, who is a retired Thai National, but now he is in Germany and he cannot fill out the TM 30. I just recently renewed my Non immigrant B visa

Now my dad is not in Thailand to register me via TM 30,

What do I do now, hahahaha???

Do it yourself...

• Like 1

As a landlord, if a renter does not notify me that they are traveling what is my liability? How do I know if they have traveled or not? 

Also, I think that I may just write into the lease that every time I have to file a TM30 they will be charged B500.

Guess I'll be looking for Thai nationals to rent to in the future.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GraThai said:

I totally agree that TM30 is an outdated law however I have lived here in Thailand for 30+  years and try to abide by all the rules including this one. Every time I return home from a trip she fills in the form pops into immigration and its done so what is the massive problem...unless of course people have something to hide?????

Unbelievable. You really don’t get it do you, and I doubt you ever will.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GraThai said:

It's this sort of backward thinking that gets us all having to comply with inconvenient and moronically bureaucratic rubbish such as this - You'd fit right into a government position... 

I travel out of Thailand about 10 times per year, I travel to other places within Thailand maybe another 6-10 times per year.

Its widely being reported that the computer system is not working properly, so whenever returning thats 16-20 times I would have to travel out to Chaengwatthana and queue up for hours to file the TM30 (or, get the Wife to do it, but I wouldn't ask that of her) thats pretty much the day ruined...

So... what have people got to hide? nothing, apart from hiding from idiots to avoid imbecilic conversations. 

IF the APP were to be seamless, it would be an improvement to an unnecessary system, however, there are significant hoops to jump through just to get app working. 

In reality - this is such an issue now that news has spread internationally. I see this situation being abolished come the next change of the guard (next switch out of immigration chief). 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

No joke, receipt of the username/password has been quoted at anywhere between 2 days and 11 weeks.

Can be a lot faster than that.

Took me less than 10 hours to register and get my password, but could have been far shorter if I had seen that they sent me the "email address verification" link at midnight. I only saw it on morning... :cool:

19 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Can be a lot faster than that.

Took me less than 10 hours to register and get my password, but could have been far shorter if I had seen that they sent me the "email address verification" link at midnight. I only saw it on morning... :cool:

My registration on the App took about a month, it was approved on Monday. No password yet.

my first ever TM30 sent by EMS on 6th August. Still waiting for my receipt after 23 days. 

TM30 might just be the straw that breaks this camel's back.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

YET.

When he goes to do his next extension it may be another story.

Tm30 is house owner's or hotel responsibility to report. There is only 1 confusion as mentioned by you that if tm30 was registered by hotel (which they do except maybe guest houses) then following question:

1. That person needs to re-register tm30 again at his permanent residence?

2. Is tm30 interlinked?

I think its a bubble only. Tm30 for hotel is mandatory and they do not provide a copy to anyone. Its worldwide, local police detective branch must be informed by hotel about foreigners. Whereas the tm30 of fixed residence copy remains with you and required for 90 days reporting.

In my view, if anyone stays at a registered hotel then its no problem. Still the smart guys who met the immigration should have clarified this point!

• Confused 1