TM30: The form getting expats in Thailand into a bureaucratic tangle

webfact

2 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

It might be very simple for some - I’m certainly not simple but if you have an iPhone it isn’t. I cannot download from the App Store because I’m registered in the uk. Yes I have tried to change to the Thai App Store but cannot because I have a uk credit card. And no I’m not getting a android one.

I have an iPhone and registered in both USA and UK App stores .… I also have a third account in the Thai Apple App Store and downloaded the TM30 App from there.

I'm a Brit and live in Chiangmai (since 2002)

There are several ways to accredit yourself when registering for an Apple THAI App Store account .... Google it or go into the Thai Apple Store (BKK) or one of the Affiliate/Agent Apple stores across the country.

AB2026FE-8DDC-4861-9C7F-91434F2C8ADF.jpeg

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, catch104 said:

Have bus driver go flat out over a red light, few 100 meters the bus get caught by the police. Who get to pay the fines??? the passengers of course!!! ????????

There you go, bringing reasoning and logic into it!

Being an expat in non-authoritarian/draconian countries makes life so much easier - don't have to deal with all the bureaucracy, paperwork, red tape, backwards laws, constant changing of laws, new paperwork and laws to know everytime you turn around. I love Thailand, but agree with the other poster, it is nice to pop in for 3 months and not have to worry about this. Hopefully one day, the Thailand I love will catch up to the rest of the world with their immigration, laws of the road and expat laws and hopefully this article helps change things through lose of face. May other news outlets post similar articles.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

SOME people.

SOME farang come thailand, rape the kid, kill the wife, counterfeit the money, steal at the supermarket, 7-11, sell the drug, overstay, illegal work, own the brothel etc etc

So maybe you correct, better to have the TM30 for everyone right?

Nice to see you bringing a constructive and well balanced post into this. So nice to note no exaggeration used in your words.

6 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I have seen some truly asinine things in Thailand in my 10+ years here, but this B.S. tops them all. 

This has effectively killed my 2-10 day bike trips around the country. May as well sell my 300cc bikes and buy a 150 PCX. 

I've cancelled trips for the same reason. This is just a nightmare headache.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Nice to see you bringing a constructive and well balanced post into this. So nice to note no exaggeration used in your words.

The problem is we arent sabai sabai and that darned free  speech, I wonder which nationality commits  the most crimes like this in Thailand?

csmith, perhaps your more clever than I am but even the Apple store in Iconsiam couldn’t help me with it. 
I’m taking the easy solution now by just not travelling somewhere anymore and spending my money in other provinces and off to a good start as my Thai wife is now going up to Bangkok at the weekend on her own and I’m going to save money already by not going with her. 

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Some of us have lives that we enjoy living. Unfortunately, there are people with nothing to do in their lives and the TM30 has given them a sense of purpose in life again. My advice to these very sad people? Get a hobby. 

Like  cliff  diving????

5 hours ago, puchooay said:

You are going to sell your bike because a TM30 must be completed upon your return to your registered address? Really? Get online and register. It is very simple.

This whole TM30 saga has been blown totally out of proportion.

You dont travel around Thailand frequently.  If a biker takes a trip for a day or two every week he will have to make frequent illogical trips to the IO. The requirement has not been necessary in the last 30 years and its not necessary now. I travel frequently around Thailand from my base in Pattaya.  Many small guesthouses,  resorts,  AirBnB, do not bother with TM30 leaving me with a gap to explain which might get people intk trouble. The TM30 comes from an era of fighting armed communist insurgency and was introduced by a government that burned demonstrators alive. The TM30 is totalitarian and authoritarian.

5 hours ago, puchooay said:

You are going to sell your bike because a TM30 must be completed upon your return to your registered address? Really? Get online and register. It is very simple.

This whole TM30 saga has been blown totally out of proportion.

You dont travel around Thailand frequently.  If a biker takes a trip for a day or two every week he will have to make frequent illogical trips to the IO. The requirement has not been necessary in the last 30 years and its not necessary now. I travel frequently around Thailand from my base in Pattaya.  Many small guesthouses,  resorts,  AirBnB, do not bother with TM30 leaving me with a gap to explain which might get people intk trouble. The TM30 comes from an era of fighting armed communist insurgency and was introduced by a government that burned demonstrators alive. The TM30 is totalitarian and authoritarian.

5 hours ago, NE1 said:

When the online TM 30 is up and running , who is to say that your local immigration office will bother with it. There are still offices where you cannot do online 90 day reporting .

or  by  post...........maybe  carrier  pigeon?

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

f Yinn want to go to England, Australia or USA for the the two day holiday

its  gonna  take  you the best part of a  day to get there, enjoy your 2  day stay, ps  youll get 6  months in the Uk  no reporting of anything, even if you stay with me +  bonus I dont have to report you either  ( atlhough i might)..........got two spare  bedrooms  but you'd  probably rather freeze to death outside in an English summer.

Can you explain what “think different” is/means. 
I really cannot be bothered anymore with it all. Going to Bangkok with my wife would mean her friend who we would be staying with would have to disappear smartly to register the fact that a falang is staying at her house for 1 night. Yes I accept that would immigration really know about it but what if they found out and then fined her and me and again I try to comply with all laws however ludicrous and if I break this one I might as well break them all. 

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Just seen this headline:

"National police join with KTB for online, e-payment of fines and fees"

"online" - I wonder if that includes TM30 reporting as well?

I reckon the fines  will increase then will all be backdated amounting to tons  of  money for them, but Im not sure they have the intelligence to keep  it  going or throw you out, throwing out obviously  cuts  off the supply, though many may leave of their own free  will. 

Just now, poppysdad said:

Can you explain what “think different” is/means. 
I really cannot be bothered anymore with it all. Going to Bangkok with my wife would mean her friend who we would be staying with would have to disappear smartly to register the fact that a falang is staying at her house for 1 night. Yes I accept that would immigration really know about it but what if they found out and then fined her and me and again I try to comply with all laws however ludicrous and if I break this one I might as well break them all. 

"Think different" was an ad  campaign by APPLE some years back, Im being sarcastic.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I agree with you about the legislation and should really only apply to those that are not living here on retirement or marriage extensions, that said I know what is going on, as he did say that they have a really BIG problem with too many illegals in the country, unfortunately we are caught up in it until someone up top puts 1 + 1 together and is prepared to lose face and changed things, and I don't see that happening, unless BIG JOKE is coming back from his mental asylum ????

People with one year extensions of stay are by definition not illegal.

How does making them report their return to their own, long term private residence in any way help catch illegals?

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

SOME people.

SOME farang come thailand, rape the kid, kill the wife, counterfeit the money, steal at the supermarket, 7-11, sell the drug, overstay, illegal work, own the brothel etc etc

So maybe you correct, better to have the TM30 for everyone right?

I hope none of them EVER have to stay in Chonburi Hospital!

50 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Same could be said for farangs. So should we be guilty by association?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Check the passport ratings and you'll see which nationalities governments choose to trust. Just like insurance policies, there's a reason for those. No place for PC when it's about immigration.

..if the regulation was drafted originally with it in mind that the owner of the property is the person responsible for reporting the aliens' arrival..how then are we made liable to pay the fine they didn't pay!...or is there a sub-regulation stating this?...sorry i have not read the section of the Act or the Immigration Dept. Regulations...but it appears their data base must marry up and flag our names if we or the property owner have not notified them...is this fine just passed onto us to pay prior to renewal time just to clear the data base?...what do you think?

Archived