TM30: The form getting expats in Thailand into a bureaucratic tangle

webfact

Good once in bad once out .... the slogan of Thailand under the famous Big Joke.

Good means the once who obey the Thai laws.

All people complain and vack home they expect the foreigners to obey the law. And when abraod those people have the same additude as the once they blame on back home and do demand now they rules are bent as as the alian as a foreigner want to prescribe to the country they are accpeted as guest from a friendly nation.

Wake up and if you can obey the law or comply to it you are always free to move on.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

It does not matter how old the laws are, they are still the laws of the country and NO small minority group of foreigners will get a country to change their laws. 

The answer is, 1st world countries don't need to change their laws because of small minority group of foreigners because they have already changed them. It's called forward thinking, a mortal sin in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

Almost gave you a like but it is actually the United Kingdom.

I have a strange mind. ????

Ok, it's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Reminded me of the story of the Indian guy getting on well with a local girl in a disco in Belfast. He decided that it was going so well he asked her to come home with him and got the answer,  No way, who wants to go to India at this time of night?

See, told you I had a strange mind. ????

• Haha 2

Incidentally the relevant section of the law (Immigration Act) is as follows (bold face mine):

"The householder, the owner or possessor of a dwelling place, or a hotel manager, who takes in, as a resident, an alien with permission to temporarily stay in the Kingdom,  shall notify the competent official at the immigration office located in the locality in which the house, dwelling place or hotel is located within twenty four hours from the time the alien has taken residence".

Now  my reading of this is that a new report needs only to be made if you are newly taking up residence.  If, after reporting your residence at a private house, condo or apartment when you moved in (and again every year when you extend your permission to stay) you continue to reside there permanently (you still pay rent/have a lease or own the place; still pay utilities etc; still have your belongings there etc, you intend to return and it is still your primary place of residence)  then to my reading the law does nto mandate that people to re-notify immigration just because they visited someplace else overnight.

I can see requiring hotels etc to report all  guests, the hotel has no way of knowing if you have a permanent residence elsewhere etc. But people on 1 year extensions of stay who have established a long term residence (as most have) that they continue to maintain, should not be required to report every time they come back to it after spending a night away from home. It is absurd, accomplishes nothing and the wording of the law does not require it.

This all started out as a Thai Visa whinge that has gathered momentum. Since the petition started it has now become an international story, both on the BBC and in America. When something becomes an international conversation and is spread via word an mouth via expat family and friends the possibilities for actual change is increased. Saving face on the international stage for doing the right thing becomes more important than saving face in denial. International media is also presently discussing the unusual strength of the baht! So Thailand is becoming a topic of negative conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 3421abc said:

Great BBC picked up this story. Hopefully other news outlets will report as well. This should be an embarrassment for Thailand if they ever want to be a modern international country this kind of law only going against it.

Hopfully this will deter brits from retiring in Thailand . 

They dont , need or want us , anymore..

20 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

Thailand.......... A first world country with a third world mentality.

I'd say a third world country with a first world wannabe mentality (tweaked, with a special Thai twist).

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lensta said:

This may seem like a stupid question but how the hell does the owner of the house that I rent know if I have gone away for the weekend? It is none of his business and I have no intention telling him every time I take a holiday.

You obviously have not been keeping up with this.

There is a facility where by you can self file. You will need a rental agreement with your name on it.

Thailand is all about the money. They see it as weakness in the western world. The women have been exploiting westerners it for decades. Now the government!  Any expat that has lived in Thailand for a few years knows the score.

The best thing you can do in Thailand as an expat is say NO. After you get over that hurdle then Thailand is a great place to visit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Nice to see you bringing a constructive and well balanced post into this. So nice to note no exaggeration used in your words.

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

It does not matter how old the laws are, they are still the laws of the country and NO small minority group of foreigners will get a country to change their laws. This just shows that you were not willing to answer my questions honestly but instead had to try and show how "smart" you are by your answer that had nothing to do with the questions.

44 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Laws can be asinine. 

Maybe you should tell dear leader to obey the law. He is supposed to be the ultimate example setter. 

48 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

Good once in bad once out .... the slogan of Thailand under the famous Big Joke.

Good means the once who obey the Thai laws.

All people complain and vack home they expect the foreigners to obey the law. And when abraod those people have the same additude as the once they blame on back home and do demand now they rules are bent as as the alian as a foreigner want to prescribe to the country they are accpeted as guest from a friendly nation.

Wake up and if you can obey the law or comply to it you are always free to move on.

You are for certain wrong in some of your statements. For instance the first one about  Good guys in, bad guys out. In Thailand that means, good guys pay there bribs .. and you also forget that there are few countries that have such a big part of income from expats and tourists and going on to make it harder for them to stay / visit the country and about your last sentance, the TM30 clearly shows that we are not "free to move on".  

Edited by Parsve
misspelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GraThai said:

I totally agree that TM30 is an outdated law however I have lived here in Thailand for 30+  years and try to abide by all the rules including this one. Every time I return home from a trip she fills in the form pops into immigration and its done so what is the massive problem...unless of course people have something to hide?????

It depends what popping in to immigration means. For some it could be a 2 hour plus drive each way, plus waiting time....and all to be done within 24 hours. And every time to leave home and return, within or outside Thailand. I get it for tourists but for long stayers it is way over the top. There must be a better way than this. By the way I have yet to do one. I have tried downloading the app but both my devices are not registered in Thailand with Google and so it says not available to download. My wife, the housemaster does not have a device. We do not have a computer. Anyway I left Thailand last week without a problem. Hope by the time I return this will have been simplified for those who have a permanent Thai address, not a hotel or guest house or short term rental. Surely it's enough with the TM6, address given for visa or extension, plus 90 day reporting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GraThai said:

I totally agree that TM30 is an outdated law however I have lived here in Thailand for 30+  years and try to abide by all the rules including this one. Every time I return home from a trip she fills in the form pops into immigration and its done so what is the massive problem...unless of course people have something to hide?????

I think you would enjoy living in North Korea!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

That is OK if you are retired, live near the IO, or have someone to do this for you. How about teachers and other employed people, are they meant to take a day off work to go there every time they return from a weekend away? It’s just a nuisance without any discernible value to the security of the country.

Just complete the form online...

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

11 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Well, I live in my dad's house, who is a retired Thai National, but now he is in Germany and he cannot fill out the TM 30. I just recently renewed my Non immigrant B visa

Now my dad is not in Thailand to register me via TM 30,

What do I do now, hahahaha???

He can do it online... Or you do it online. You just need a copy of the front page of the Tabian Baan and a copy of your dad's Thai I.D. to upload to register. Then you fill out the associated form for yourself as well. 

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

Edited by Tounge Thaied

6 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Does this apply to tourists if I am staying at a hotel ? Ie will the hotel lodge your location with immigration?

Nothing to worry about if you stay in hotels,

10 hours ago, puchooay said:

Yes, I concur.

The point of my post was to explain that teachers and others that  work here do not need to take a day off work to report.

As the online reporting does not work, you are talking out of your @#s#

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Nothing to worry about if you stay in hotels,

That's correct. They have not started knocking at doors, looking for foreign guests in hotels yet.

On the street, once you are out of the hotel, there might be some molestation from corrupt RTP, but that comes with the territory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Unless you stay in a hotel who should do a TM30 no one will know you have been out of town.

I know of someone who stayed in a hotel last night, and not in his permanent residence (a house) 
Magically enough, this guy came home this morning without any issues or fines 

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

yes everyday number one story on thaivisa now.

Is the same Drama Queens that complain, criticize, moan, groan, mock and ridicule Thailand everyday. Everything.

98% of foreigner don’t even know about it. Because the hotel/owner do it for you. 

Actually, if they go away for weekend, if it me, I just not tell immigration. How they will know? Impossible.

Immigration police not follow every foreigner on everyday, all night see where you sleep. JUST DONT SAY ANYTHING= EASY

30 million+ foreigner. Not enough police to know, sure.

If Yinn want to go to England, Australia or USA for the the two day holiday Yinn don’t get free visa with NO paperwork. 

Yinn must do 20+ document about bank, work, live where AND pay money that, they not refund if they REFUSE. Go to the embassy in Bangkok BEFORE and have interview. Must go to Bangkok, they not have embassy in every province like for you guys.

How the Drama Queen can do like that? TM30 is so easy. One page.

And it like you say, just do online.

thankyou Poochuay

Whatever