TM30: The form getting expats in Thailand into a bureaucratic tangle

webfact

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

Not from what I heard, Prayut is about to bring back Big Joke.....:)

I heard Big Joke had been indulging in spiritual practice to find peace of mind....during meditation he received a revelation "most foreigners are actually good people"!!!! So he rushed back to immigration headquarters, desperate to convince Big Aud to abolish TM30, but was quickly thrown into a mental institution.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the article: During one immigration visit, she says, and official told her he would send police to visit every day "until you are gone".

Just wondering if the immigration officers comment had anything to do with her colour ?

2 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I read a report that about 80% of refused online applications are down to applicants errors. This was a report from an expats survey. Not Thai Immigration.

Again, I supplied the exact same information and paperwork today in person as when I applied online almost three months ago. The online was "not approved" and the in person registration taken without any problem whatsoever, other than the 950 baht spent on getting to hellish CW in the morning and waiting around for a couple of hours. There is no consistency to this process. This is a characteristic of Tryrano-anarchy, where the law is utterly lax for some and rigidly enforced for others.

4 hours ago, GraThai said:

I totally agree that TM30 is an outdated law however I have lived here in Thailand for 30+  years and try to abide by all the rules including this one. Every time I return home from a trip she fills in the form pops into immigration and its done so what is the massive problem...unless of course people have something to hide?????

30+ years of kowtowing and obedience. Congratulations, that’s quite an accomplishment. Maybe you’ll be given some sort of a Good Farang award.

”She” should also get something for doing everything for you and making your life so easy that in comparison it makes everyone else look like they are hiding something.

“She” sounds like a keeper.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Please tell me how to get the Section 38 app on my PC. I got it on my phone but PC is easier for me to see. Thanks.

I agree, doing most jobs on my PC like FB, What'sApp, Line etc. !
Just call:
https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/
(if you use chrome + Google-translate easy to fill out in your preferred language.
If you already registered by mobile use your username and your choosen password, don't have to register again!)

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

From the article: During one immigration visit, she says, and official told her he would send police to visit every day "until you are gone".

Just wondering if the immigration officers comment had anything to do with her colour ?

I'm wondering how she could accumulate 12,400 baht in immigration fines in four months. After only four months, even if she broke every rule on the books I don't see how she would owe for more than a 2000 or 3000 baht. She missed a TM 30? She missed a 90 day? What else is there? She said something about not yet getting her work permit. So how did she get her non-B? There are some holes in her story?

7 minutes ago, TooSweaty said:

30+ years of kowtowing and obedience. Congratulations, that’s quite an accomplishment. Maybe you’ll be given some sort of a Good Farang award.

”She” should also get something for doing everything for you and making your life so easy that in comparison it makes everyone else look like they are hiding something.

“She” sounds like a keeper.

Why is obeying immigration rules, in order to live here in Thailand, "Kowtowing"? It is simply going along with what needs to be done in order to stay here. If you don't follow the rules you can't stay, legally anyway.

As for "she". I would imagine that "She" refers to the guy's girlfriend/wife and therefore the owner of the property. If I am correct, it is in fact her responsibility to file the TM30. Nothing to do with making his life easy.

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

That is OK if you are retired, live near the IO, or have someone to do this for you. How about teachers and other employed people, are they meant to take a day off work to go there every time they return from a weekend away? It’s just a nuisance without any discernible value to the security of the country.

Do it online eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy.

12 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Again, I supplied the exact same information and paperwork today in person as when I applied online almost three months ago. The online was "not approved" and the in person registration taken without any problem whatsoever, other than the 950 baht spent on getting to hellish CW in the morning and waiting around for a couple of hours. There is no consistency to this process. This is a characteristic of Tryrano-anarchy, where the law is utterly lax for some and rigidly enforced for others.

There is a lot of information that needs to be input on the first online application.

When filing at immigration all the info is there to be read by the IO and they input onto the system.

As an example, there was a guy that did not know what "serial number of house" meant. Got it wrong and got refused.

It is possible that you made a mistake on your application. Just saying.

I totally agree that TM30 is an outdated law however I have lived here in Thailand for 30+  years and try to abide by all the rules including this one. Every time I return home from a trip she fills in the form pops into immigration and its done so what is the massive problem...unless of course people have something to hide?????

I agree. What's the big deal? If you have a problem with Thai Immigration requirements , go somewhere else. This is not our country. We should be great full  they let us stay here long term in the first place.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

If Yinn want to go to England, Australia or USA for the the two day holiday Yinn don’t get free visa with NO paperwork. 

Yinn must do 20+ document about bank, work, live where AND pay money that, they not refund if they REFUSE. Go to the embassy in Bangkok BEFORE and have interview. Must go to Bangkok, they not have embassy in every province like for you guys.

Yinn has her compatriots to thank that for. Illegal workers overstaying, especially in knock "massage" shops, scams, etc etc. Guilty by association.

1000 baht in taxi fare is one

half a day lost for this <deleted> is another one

an app that does not work if you don't have the latest phone

a website that is half in thai, even for the FOREIGNER that does not speak it and does not work with all browsers or is even SAFE for a hack

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

If you don't follow the rules you can't stay, legally anyway.

In 2015, when I moved my residence from Nakhon Pathom to Bangkok, I took the TM 30 form to CW. They REFUSED to accept it. They told me they don't take them at CW. The next year, I took it just in case and asked again. Same answer. How the hell can we follow the rules when Immigration REFUSES to allow you to do so??? Here it is two years later, and suddenly I'm a criminal because Immigration refused to allow me to file the damn TM 30 twice.

15 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Again, I supplied the exact same information and paperwork today in person as when I applied online 

As far as I know, your uploaded passport.jpeg has to be of good quality since it is automatically scanned for the passport information.
Bad photo -> "not approved"
Real passport presented -> "approved" 

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

There is a lot of information that needs to be input on the first online application.

When filing at immigration all the info is there to be read by the IO and they input onto the system.

As an example, there was a guy that did not know what "serial number of house" meant. Got it wrong and got refused.

It is possible that you made a mistake on your application. Just saying.

Well, my landlord filled out the application from her own records. So I guess she, a former Ministery of Education official, doesn't know what she is doing. If that is the case, what does it say about the complexity of the these forms that Thai bureaucrats can't even understand them correctly.

6 minutes ago, looplaw said:

I agree. What's the big deal? If you have a problem with Thai Immigration requirements , go somewhere else. This is not our country. We should be great full  they let us stay here long term in the first place.

Give this good boy a treat.

7 minutes ago, zydeco said:

I'm wondering how she could accumulate 12,400 baht in immigration fines in four months. After only four months, even if she broke every rule on the books I don't see how she would owe for more than a 2000 or 3000 baht. She missed a TM 30? She missed a 90 day? What else is there? She said something about not yet getting her work permit. So how did she get her non-B? There are some holes in her story?

Could be the 500 baht per day overstay fines with immigration being lenient towards her case in getting her work visa ?

I have to say this, in the 14 years that I have been coming to Thailand, living here now for 4 years, I have NEVER had an issue with immigration, they are a good bunch of guys, same with the local cops, pays to wai and smile, i.e. being gentle, letting them think they are above you, or at least equal, which they are.

As for outside cops, who are only looking for pocket money, 200 baht usually, 400 baht with ticket, well comes with the territory and affordable, suffice to say I don't have to deal with their likes often as I don't have to deal with anyone outside of my little world in my province very often, however once out of my province, it's all hell breaks loose as the fleas do try and bite with those smiles on their faces, a classic example although getting off the subject is, yesterday we went looking for a set of double door to put in the house, was quoted 3,500 baht each, for a metre wide, two metres tall timber door, but reduced to 3,400 baht for us, today we returned as we remeasured the area and only needed the standard 800 x 2,000 doors, same girl/owner quoted us 3,500 baht again, and when my wife questioned her on her quote for the 1,000 x 2,000 door yesterday being the same price, she said, oh sorry I made a mistake, 3,000 baht, reduced to 2,900 baht, honest mistake, I don't think so, suffice to say, I let her keep her doors as it only takes one try with me, honest or not, I do not trust any of them, well that's my policy because prices fluctuate, e.g. overseas power adaptor in Phuket 300 baht, wife laughed, oh ok, I give you Thai price 50 baht, no thanks, purchased one in our province for 20 baht ????

4 minutes ago, Lupusthai said:

As far as I know, your uploaded passport.jpeg has to be of good quality since it is automatically scanned for the passport information.
Bad photo -> "not approved"
Real passport presented -> "approved" 

Well, it can't be of too good a quality, as the site restricted the size amount I could upload.

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

1900 for an extension if refused. $100 dollars for a visitor visa to UK. No refund if refused. Over $2000 for a settlement visa. No refund if refused.

Longer waiting times too. 2-3 weeks for a UK visitor visa. 16 weeks for UK settlement visa.

16 weeks for a settlement visa for a Thai person to UK and when they arrive they dont have to report to anyone for 2 years and 6 months. Then they report once to confirm they are still married and stay for another 2 years and 6 months and then they get residency and a UK passport. In those years they will get medical and emergency accident treatment for free.

Can you explain what I would have to go through to get the same?

At this moment, seems that an accommodation near any BTS/MRT station is not anymore the best choice, getting one near a Immigration office will be.

Anyway, i don't understand why, at least, they don't give a 1 week window time to submit the TM30, in any case bad guys will never submit at all so i don't really get the real meaning of this law, moreover i can't imagine how 40 years ago anyone could respect the law due to less immigration office on the territory and public transportation were probably not suitable as nowadays.

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

Well, it can't be of too good a quality, as the site restricted the size amount I could upload.

not MegaBytes make the quality of a documentphoto, but readability and sharpness.
Use a reasonable pixel-resolution and JPEGmini to reduce size!

I have a question about this, not seen anyone posting on this particular part of TM30. A mate of mine owns his house on Samui through a thai company that he is a part shareholder in - which I understand is a dubious way to “own” your own house and land. In his case who should do the TM30? He has no rental contract as his is the “owner”, but in reality he is not the owner as it’s owned by a company. What are others in this situation doing? Many thanks 

2 minutes ago, Quickmill said:

i can't imagine how 40 years ago anyone could respect the law due to less immigration office on the territory and public transportation were probably not suitable as nowadays.

I don't know if there were immigration offices in every province 40 years ago. Someone should ask. The provision in the law also allowed you to file at a police station, if there wasn't. Frankly, if the idiots would just allow everyone to file at their local police station, it would go a long ways to solving the problems we have. That, and why not allow you to online and file a TM 30 and not need a username and password? You can the 90 day online without them. Why the entire registration process? 

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yinn has her compatriots to thank that for. Illegal workers overstaying, especially in knock "massage" shops, scams, etc etc. Guilty by association.

SOME people.

SOME farang come thailand, rape the kid, kill the wife, counterfeit the money, steal at the supermarket, 7-11, sell the drug, overstay, illegal work, own the brothel etc etc

So maybe you correct, better to have the TM30 for everyone right?

1 hour ago, idman said:

The more people bit...ch and moan about this fiasco the more Thai Immigration will continue to dig their heels in and not waver one bit. It's this FACE notion. Put up with the TM 30, stop your whining and unless you are returning from outside the country you don't have to bother with jumping through silly hoops. With huge amount of paperwork Thai Immigration have to deal with on a daily what do really think think your chances of ever being caught are???

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Common sense thinking there and glad you're alright, Jack

And of course you're right, quite a few of us (married, g/fs, partners, etc) can adjust accordingly when staying at small resorts and hotels around the country, without much chance of being caught out - which in and of itself, begs an obvious question.

Can't help myself conjuring a parody skit.  Vetted many times over, otherwise compliant Good Guy Farang hides in the car behind tinted windows while his Mrs. goes forth to check in under her name, with an anonymous, unseen "+1".   Like smuggling your Gik past the prying eyes of Nok the Gob<deleted>e at the No-Tell-Motel Boom Boom Resort. 

The bonus is, the wife will always get the "Thai Price"! :clap2:

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

So maybe you correct, better to have the TM30 for everyone right?

Better to vet the people coming to Thailand before giving them a visa like 1st world does. Of course, goes badly with greed for tourist money so not going to happen.

Archived