Smoking In Bars In Phuket

haymanpl

Is it legal to smoke in bars in Phuket?

I noticed in some Bangkok bars, they have a designated outdoor area for smoking however in Phuket it seems there's no such law or many bars aren't respecting this law. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, grollies said:

I smoke and always get up and move outside a restaurant/bar in order to smoke. This is acknowledgement to my wife, who doesn't smoke, but also in consideration of other patrons, especially where children are present. Mind you, in BKK recently I did this, went back to my table and the couple next to us with small kids at the table then lit up anyway. Go figure.

Even then you are not always safe from the health nazis.

I was outside a bar in Udon having a smoke when a guy storms past me shouting that he was leaving because I was smoking.

I gently informed him that I did not care.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jvs said:

No it is not.Welcome to Thailand,land of many laws and crackdowns but never for long.

Hey!!  Go to Canada.....only place one can smoke for years now is outdoors or in your own home and that's if you don't have children!!  It's amazing how much cleaner the air smells when it isn't overladen with second hand tobacco smoke!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the rule is it is allowed 5 metres outside the premises. Very few places I know discourage smoking in the bar areas and some encourage it by placing ashtrays inside. Again law in place no enforcement.

The Japanese and Koreans are allowed to smoke in the Bangkok go-gos as well as the adjoining bar beers. How could they upset their big customers? Yes, some farangs go there and smoke too.

I saw Big Dogs ban smoking. You had to stand in the plaza entrance and smoke. Lasted 2 days.

Smoking is banned in bars and restaurants in Thailand. Enforcement is a whole other tomato.

19 hours ago, jvs said:

No i dont think so,if they tell someone they are not allowed to smoke the customer just might leave and not spend any money.They forget however that people like me will leave because someone is smoking but the bar owners do not seem to care about that.

But to be clear ,it is illegal to smoke in bars and pubs and of course restaurants.

Enforcement however does not excist,just this week it became illegal to smoke inside of a house?No kidding,who is going to enforce that?

1)

The law against smoking in bars/restaurants came around 2005 (to lazy to Google it). When even the police asked for an ash tray when they entered a bar, the owners started to keep them behind the bar. So when you ask for an ash tray,they will handle you one.

2)

There's no law against smoking in your home. The law is about protection from passive smoking if you have small kids or elderly people staying with you.

20 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Every bar owner I know pays plenty to the bobbes as in BiB.  Not just bars, just about any night venue. You ever been here ?  

Only about a 100 times and know at least a dozen owners in bangkok and patts.

I have 3 properties in thailand so spend a large part of every year in the place. 

So in answer to your sarcy request I know 'here' very well 

7 minutes ago, Truthhurts said:

Only about a 100 times and know at least a dozen owners in bangkok and patts.

I have 3 properties in thailand so spend a large part of every year in the place. 

So in answer to your sarcy request I know 'here' very well 

Here relates to Phuket ... not BKK and Patts. So do you know any owners here ?  I do ... 

12 minutes ago, Truthhurts said:

I wont make a disparaging response to your post.

I was raised properly  unlike some

If you did, it would be unreasonable. I stand by my comments; I know payments are made.

Enjoy your day, don't be too serious.

:wink:

28 minutes ago, Truthhurts said:

I was raised properly  unlike some

O dear, if one is raised "proper" does that mean your opinion cannot be questioned without resorting to nasty jibes, "sheep" people blame the "conspiracy theorists" for anything that doesn't fit in with their lack of ability to think for themselves? :wink:

17 hours ago, grollies said:

I smoke and always get up and move outside a restaurant/bar in order to smoke. This is acknowledgement to my wife, who doesn't smoke, but also in consideration of other patrons, especially where children are present. Mind you, in BKK recently I did this, went back to my table and the couple next to us with small kids at the table then lit up anyway. Go figure.

I do this ,,I hate smoking in confined spaces,,,we got a beach resort and restaurant ,,we banned smoking in the restaurant and on the beach,,the amount of arguments I have had with smokers not wanting to smoke in the smoking area and questioning why can’t we smoke on beach and around restaurant is unreal,have even received bad reviews over it ,have thrown customers out the resort for throwing cigarettes on the beach and that’s just the ferang......trying to get my Thai partner to enforce it to the Thais virtually impossible,,,,this year new signs going up in English and Thai language