Understanding Motorcycle Green Book

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Registered Thailand 2018 assembled 2017. 

Vin number usually confirmed the year of the bike it's no big deal.

So having the Green book say 2017 means my bike was assembled in 2017 but it is a 2018 Model? I can't find a vin decoder online to check the vin. The Thai vins have 13 digits and most are 17 digits in other countries.

3 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

So having the Green book say 2017 means my bike was assembled in 2017 but it is a 2018 Model? I can't find a vin decoder online to check the vin. The Thai vins have 13 digits and most are 17 digits in other countries.

Well up to 1981 vin No. were 13 now 17 and the 10th letter is the year maybe check the vin number on the bike instead of the book. 

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well up to 1981 vin No. were 13 now 17 and the 10th letter is the year maybe check the vin number on the bike instead of the book. 

The 10th letter is "B" I think the asian market motorcycle vins are somehow not the same. I have heard others on here complaining that they can't find and info on their vin.

This is the year in which the motorcycle was built.

Was there any update from 2017 to 2018 and you were deceived that it is the new model but you got the old?

If not it doesn't matter, it just means that the motorbike was standing arround in the shop for a while.

9 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

The 10th letter is "B" I think the asian market motorcycle vins are somehow not the same. I have heard others on here complaining that they can't find and info on their vin.

Under normal practice 'B' is 2011 so Thai does have there own way to vin number.

As I said is the actual bike frame vin number the same as the book. 

My truck has 17 vin numbers

My old honda big bike has 17.

My honda scoot has only 14.

5 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

I was just told by the sales manager where I bought the bike that the engine is 2017 but the year of the bike is 2018. She said the engine has to be manufactured first so the green book will say 2017 not 2018. I have never heard of this not sure if I believe this 100 percent.

I doubt if she knows, referring back to my Honda airblade scoot which is a 2007,  under normal vin numbers it would have '7' as the year in the number maybe '6' or '8' but none of the frame vin numbers relate to 2007 at all.

The vin numbers however only relate to the model type number of the engine. 

It actually does make a difference when it comes to things like doing the annual road tax and/or insurance (if you have 3rd party insurance). They will go by the date in the Green Book when determining if your bike needs to have an inspection (after it is 5 years old) - and for when they decide it is "too old" and won't insure it anymore (after it is 10+ years old).

For example, my Harely is a 2003 Anniversary Edition, but when they made up the book they put it as a 2005 model because someone saw the first digit of the serial number was a "5" and assumed that meant model year (when it actually means assemble for overseas distribution, with bikes built for the American market having a "1" as the first digit regardless of model year).

In this case, it worked out for me as I bought the bike in 2008 but didn't have to have it inspected for the first couple of years as they thought it was a 2005. 

Same thing when it came to insurance. As long as they decided the bike was less than 10 years old, they'd insure it no problem. As soon as it was over 10 years old though, suddenly no one wanted to sell me (Class 1) insurance, not even the company I'd been insuring the bike with for the previous 7 years !

When I first noticed the discrepancy I asked about getting it fixed. I was told it could take months, many trips to Bangkok and 10s of thousands of baht (or more) as I'd basically have to have the bike re-registered from scratch (and they'd have to investigate and make sure all the proper taxes had been paid originally, etc, etc). 
Not really worth the effort.

44 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

As soon as it was over 10 years old though, suddenly no one wanted to sell me (Class 1) insurance, not even the company I'd been insuring the bike with for the previous 7 years !

So you got 2nd or 3rd class insurance instead.

44 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

When I first noticed the discrepancy I asked about getting it fixed.

If it ain't broke don't fix it !!  ????

I bought a new XMax last December. I have had a few of the plastic covers off for different reasons and some of the parts have a date sticker on the inside of them.

The parts with date stickers are all showing Sept 2018 date codes. The tires have Aug 2018 date codes. 

The book says my XMax is a 2017. ????

Makes no sense at all.

Archived