All cigarettes in Thailand sold in drab packaging starting September 12

webfact

2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Why not take the step and ban cigarette sales once for all instead of this ridiculous tiptoeing? 

Would you plan on doing the same for alcohol ? I guess that would be two industries down the tubes.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Why not take the step and ban cigarette sales once for all instead of this ridiculous tiptoeing? 

the amount of money made on tax by governments is enormous their question has always been where else are we going to get so much money  they new but it was illegal

2 minutes ago, hobobo said:

Safe? Try telling this to millions worldwide who never smoked but nonetheless ended up with lung cancer due to passive smoking.

Really due to passive smoking ? Nothing to do with pollution ? 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

important public health milestone

Yeah, that will help. Of course, they could just ban cigarettes if they wanted to make a difference. There are much more acceptable methods of getting nicotine these days. I know, I know, they must protect the tax base while pretending to care about the health of the masses.

4 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

The world has gone mad. Should I look forward to plain packaging on the much more hazardous for health alcohol containers? Then we can roll the plain packaging out to sugar containing soft drinks, then any food containing fats etc etc. Should never let the loons get a foot in the door, it never ends there.

I'm old enough to remember when Tesco in the UK used to package all of their products in brown paper bags. I wondered if my memory was playing tricks on me, but someone who worked there back in those days confirmed it was true.

3 hours ago, Benmart said:

Don't forget alcohol.

Indeed that's also a good suggestions, same as the high sugar soda's etc.

The alcohol they make it at home, it's so easy and mostly done wrong with all the poisons still in it. hahaha

Hang on a second. I'm a 'filthy' smoker. Given up so many times and failed, but, what did help me enormously were patches, lozenges etc. The only anti-smoking stuff I can get here is chewing gum (hate) and Champix which does not suit me. Would be even better if you could buy them in 10 pack only but you can't. My willpower is not strong enough to do this. It's a drug. Lethal. Sounds pathetic I know but that's the way it is. So Thailand. Forget about the packaging. Get/allow some decent anti-smoking products into this country.

4 hours ago, madmen said:
5 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:
The world has gone mad. Should I look forward to plain packaging on the much more hazardous for health alcohol containers? Then we can roll the plain packaging out to sugar containing soft drinks, then any food containing fats etc etc. Should never let the loons get a foot in the door, it never ends there.

Didn't take long for first TV bash to arrive

yes and we all know who they are they are the ones who complain about every thing

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Because the Thai government makes a fortune on the sale of tobacco, which is basically a monopoly here. They have changed the structure to allow investors. But, it is essentially still a huge money maker for the government.

The TAOY is still wholly controlled by the Ministry of Finance and has several advantages in its business operation such as being able to conduct legal transactions on its own, expand its tobacco business, enter into new joint ventures and produce cigarettes for export. It can conduct research in improving tobacco production standards in line with industry developments and cooperate with governmental agencies.

https://tobaccowatch.seatca.org/index.php/2018/07/28/thai-tobacco-monopoly-corporatized-what-is-different/

Cigs should be classified as the drug that they are and made illegal and pulled off the market . how much cost to the already over taxed national health care system does this drug cost everyone , not just the addicts . If they keep it on the market the companies selling this drug should pay all cost of treating the effects of their products . Cause and effect ....its only natural ........

5 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

The world has gone mad. Should I look forward to plain packaging on the much more hazardous for health alcohol containers? Then we can roll the plain packaging out to sugar containing soft drinks,

Absolutely correct all of those should have plain packaging.

Great suggestion.

17 minutes ago, stevomaui said:

Cigs should be classified as the drug that they are and made illegal and pulled off the market . how much cost to the already over taxed national health care system does this drug cost everyone , not just the addicts . If they keep it on the market the companies selling this drug should pay all cost of treating the effects of their products . Cause and effect ....its only natural ........

Important lesson from Prohibition... making something you don't like illegal doesn't make it go away.  It does cause the crime rate to shoot through the roof though because you've just made something that people want (but can't get legally) insanely profitable to produce and provide.  

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Pretty ignorant comment, just because you dont like something. Probably many things you do that I think are disgusting. 

But, very obvious answer to anyone who is not just ignorant, is the massive TAX revenues that they bring in.

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

indeed, there is no cure for stupidity.

Thats good, less money spent on colorful packages means a good reason to reduce the cost of a packet of cigarettes. plus I am happy to buy at lower price 7.1 or thinner cigarettes I still get enough puff and actually enjoy the thinner sizes(get to smoke more of the baccy than the normal size)

Archived