All cigarettes in Thailand sold in drab packaging starting September 12

webfact

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, faraday said:

And once you've gorged on these products, & become a burden on society....?

That could be true of anything. You run or bike and your knees and hips give out then you're a burden unless you have plenty of money (obumas death panels)

7 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

Just start refusing treatment for people who got cancer from smoking, unless they can pay in full in cash.  Sick habit.  I quit 15 years ago and so far a few people my age I know are sick with cancer.

And refuse treatment for high blood pressure and colestoral from eating, downs syndrome because the kids were unlucky when will it stop

14 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

Just start refusing treatment for people who got cancer from smoking, unless they can pay in full in cash.  Sick habit.  I quit 15 years ago and so far a few people my age I know are sick with cancer.

Been out cycling and had an accident have we?

Well no treatment for you. You shouldn't be cycling.

10 minutes ago, Fred white said:

That could be true of anything. You run or bike and your knees and hips give out then you're a burden unless you have plenty of money (obumas death panels)

It could be, but running or cycling are for fitness reasons.

6 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Personally have never seen any cigarette advertising in LOS.  7-11 keeps them hidden behind the counter unseen on shelves with roll up metal covers

The strange thing is that these shelves where they hide the cigarettes are mostly surrounded by spirits with high alcohol content.

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

This filthy poison should be either banned of priced at 500 baht a packet

Totally agree, smoking causes the society billions of dollar in hospital bills and give the addicts health problems.

Give smokers nicotine tablets for free, a win, win for everybody. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The new standardised packaging complements Thailand’s pictorial health warnings, which occupy the upper 85% of the front and back panels of packs, currently the largest in ASEAN.

Largest! Horray!  The Hub of Feeling Proud About Useless Stuff. 

I get smokes now and then, for me, or someone else. 

Me to midget 7-11 clerk: 

"Winston si faah, Lek, khruuuuuup".

"Noi?"

"Sure, noi."

"Boo?"

"Yes, si "Boo".

"Ok, wait in a minute".

<Too short.  Searches for the mini-step ladder>

"Oh-Kay, kaaaa.....Win-Stunnnn Boo.  Boo.  Boo.  Boo...."

< scanning shelves with tiny finger>

<Pulls out random green menthols>

"Nii?"

"No.  Boo"

<scanning shelves again>

<Turns, holds up L&M Blue, loses balance, teeters precariously>

"Jeezus, be careful!  No, Winston, si faah, lek. I mean noi"

"Saai.  Saai.  No, your other saai.  S**t.  Kwaa.  Kwaa, nit noy"

<Pulls out/holds up Winstons!>

"OMG, Yes!  Chai, chai, khrup!  Dead guy, gaping hole in neck, them's the ones!"

"Oh-kaaay, <big smile> hee hee hee!  Hok sip Baht, kaaaaaaa".

This new regulation is sure to streamline the process. :clap2:

23 minutes ago, bander said:

Totally agree, smoking causes the society billions of dollar in hospital bills and give the addicts health problems.

Give smokers nicotine tablets for free, a win, win for everybody. 

Really ? Cost society billions of dollars. Are these not the same smokers who pay crazy 300-900% tax on each cig they smoke?

if anything smokers pay for their treatment 3 times over . It’s the “healthy” ones who are the real burden. Do not smoke , do not drink, do not pay silly taxes, get sick and expect free treatment ????

About time!! Tax them more so we can build some good parks and recreation and stop this literal cancer from affecting the young and hopeful

All public smoking should be made illegal and only allowed in your own vehicle or in designated areas - but if they are open areas that cannot be ok it must be somewhere the air cannot run out because it stinks terrible and is carcinogenic

Free nicotine gum and patches should be available to everyone wanting to give up (i think there is a helpline maybe put that straight into 7/11 so easy to access now?)

The tax must be raised on cigarettes that is the only incentive just make it stupidly expensive so only a fool can partake and then he cannot afford enough to kill himself

Also would be good to promote something healthy like cbd cannabis usage in place of tobacco maybe those with a hard addiction can join a study program to see how cbd can better their health? maybe we can turn this into a win win situation - they give up and they get healthier plus give us research to put the matter to rest that cigarettes = death

3 minutes ago, Booboo101 said:

So are they saying that people only smoke because they like the pretty colours and logos on the pack ?

Yes but you would be surprised behind the reasoning of a IQ <70 person remember the average is that of a remedial student in the west so you have to make allowances for people with learning difficulties and mental problems it is not their fault they just do not know better and cannot learn easily so we must help them and be a Shepard - higher tax would be the easiest steering for this as we make more money from them and they cannot kill themself

As henry ford said only allow the worker just enough to get drunk so he cannot get too drunk he does not turn up to work the next day and his wife does not suffer

Same philosophy applies here we must price the cigarettes at too much to afford to smoke more than 1 or 2 a day so around 1000 baht a packet of 20 would be the correct pricing  (same as europe and us right?)

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Why not take the step and ban cigarette sales once for all instead of this ridiculous tiptoeing? 

Your thinking like a Thai.

Just look what happened when they banned passengers in the back of pickups. The sensible way is to gradually bring changes to allow people time to adjust.

People don't like sudden changes that effect themselves. So this tiptoeing is the right approach. 

Ban advertising, put warnings on packets, stop them being on show in shops, ban smoking in public places, raise the tax, ban smoking in houses where non smokers are affected, remove fancy printing on packets all take away the glamour fags used to have and turns the smoker into the outcast instead of the non smoker as it used to be.

E-cigs should be legalized and other measures will ramp up the pressure to quit and more importantly make it so unattractive people will not want to start.

A sudden ban will be far to unpopular to work yet but it may not be too many years away.

7 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

The world has gone mad. Should I look forward to plain packaging on the much more hazardous for health alcohol containers? Then we can roll the plain packaging out to sugar containing soft drinks, then any food containing fats etc etc. Should never let the loons get a foot in the door, it never ends there.

If all foods packaging with plain package the cost of foods will go down. The cost of beautiful packaging are passed on to the consumer . Is the no frills supermarket in London still on? I remember 22 years ago I went to a supermarket in London and they have no frills packaging stuffs. They were cheaper.

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

This new regulation is sure to streamline the process

Why would they want to make it easier to buy fags?

Next step have them without any names so it is pot luck what you get. Getting regular and menthol mixed up should put a few more off.

57 minutes ago, BestB said:

Really ? Cost society billions of dollars. Are these not the same smokers who pay crazy 300-900% tax on each cig they smoke?

if anything smokers pay for their treatment 3 times over . It’s the “healthy” ones who are the real burden. Do not smoke , do not drink, do not pay silly taxes, get sick and expect free treatment ????

Rubbish - check your facts first.

Dr RoengrudeePatanavanich, from Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, said. 

"The estimated cost of treatments, she pointed out, was about Bt77.62 billion a year. 

The cost of lost income opportunities as a result of illnesses was Bt11.76 billion a year. 

The financial cost of untimely deaths was estimated at Bt131 billion a year. 

“In total, smoking has caused financial losses of about Bt220 billion a year,” Roengrudee said, emphasising the loss was much higher than the cigarette taxes that the government could collect. 

She said cigarette tax revenue for the state was just about Bt68.6 billion"

1 hour ago, Booboo101 said:

So are they saying that people only smoke because they like the pretty colours and logos on the pack ?

No. Do people only smoke because they are affordable (tax) or can smoke where they want (banned in certain places) or they like the adverts (advertising ban) etc.?

Young people are impressed by fancy packets and are more likely to want them. Which would you go for if the contents and price were the same? Fancy pack with no warnings or the the new style. Then think how would a teenager answer the same question.

No caring parent would want anything that encouraged their child to smoke.

So it is not "only" but it is a small part of why people smoke and is easy to remove.

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Rubbish - check your facts first.

Dr RoengrudeePatanavanich, from Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, said. 

"The estimated cost of treatments, she pointed out, was about Bt77.62 billion a year. 

The cost of lost income opportunities as a result of illnesses was Bt11.76 billion a year. 

The financial cost of untimely deaths was estimated at Bt131 billion a year. 

“In total, smoking has caused financial losses of about Bt220 billion a year,” Roengrudee said, emphasising the loss was much higher than the cigarette taxes that the government could collect. 

She said cigarette tax revenue for the state was just about Bt68.6 billion"

Dr Who? Dr of what.?????????????????

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Why would they want to make it easier to buy fags?

Next step have them without any names so it is pot luck what you get. Getting regular and menthol mixed up should put a few more off.

You seemed to have missed the point intentionally, in order to register your virtues. 

And then I saw your other posts, and now I understand. ????

1 hour ago, youngster30uk said:

<deleted> morons are out today. Why not charge the people full in cash if they have a car accident. Cars pollute a lot more than cigarettes and plenty of people of all ages have died from it.  Why not make fatties pay also, its their own fault. Hell, lets also make people with liver problems pay. Why not make people with sports injuries pay? Make <deleted> pregnant women pay, it's their own fault (mostly) after all. Charge old people, <deleted> em, they shouldn't get so old. 

Sounds good to me (apart from the last one) but when setting the taxes (like the UK's sugar tax) bear this fact in mind - 

"Smoking kills more people than alcohol, AIDS, car accidents, illegal drugs, murders, and suicides combined"

from https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/problem/toll-us

Probably not the same in Thailand due to the lethal roads.

Petrol/diesel and alcohol are also heavily taxed in most countries already. Sports injuries will be partly offset by the victim being generally more healthy so not needing as much unrelated treatments. 

Sounds good but we all take some risks with our health. So costs should even out, except smoking is way out ahead of most other risks and as it's unpleasant for others to be near, deserves special measures.

Apart from a few, we all want transport, children and to grow old, the rest is usually a choice which for some people needs restricting.

Just now, chang1 said:

Why not? If it stops my wife stuffing sweets and other <deleted> into our boy I'm all for it.

What are the metrics to assess whether the photos on cigarette packs have had the intended effect? 

Archived