Meteorology Department confirms heavy rain warning as Podul reaches Laos

webfact

Meteorology Department confirms heavy rain warning as Podul reaches Laos

By The Nation

rains2.jpg

FILE photo

The Meteorological Department Friday reiterated its warning of heavy rains in many parts of Thailand as tropical storm “Podul” reaches Laos.

In its urgent warning issued at 7am Friday, the department said the category 3 tropical storm made landfall over Dong Hoi, Vietnam, at 12.30am and moved to Laos.

At 4am, the storm was centered over Khammouan, Laos or at latitude 17.2 degrees north, longitude 105.3 degrees east with maximum sustained winds of 65 km/hr.

Travelling at a speed of about 30 km/hr, it is expected to move to upper Northeast at Nakhon Phanom Friday and its influence will cause heavy rains and strong winds in many parts of Thailand. The department warned people to brace for heavy rains and possible flash floods.

Affected areas are as follows:

Friday, heavy to very heavy rains:

North: Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Phrae, Nan, Lamphun, Lampang, Tak, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phichit and Phetchabun.

Northeast: Loei, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Yasothon, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Amnat Charoen, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani.

Central: Kanchanaburi, Uthai Thani, Suphan Buri, Chai Nat, Nakhon Sawan, Lop Buri, Sing Buri, Ang Thong and Bangkok and vicinity.

East: Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Chachoengsao, Sa Kaeo, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Ranong, Phangnga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun.

Saturday and Sunday, heavy rain:

North: Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Tak, Sukhothai and Kamphaeng Phet.

Central: Ratchaburi, Kanchanaburi, Uthai Thani, Suphan Buri and Chai Nat.

East: Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Phetchaburi, Ranong, Phangnga and Phuket.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375597

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-30

17 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Here in Phichit it has been raining for the last couple of hours, very overcast and heavy downpours beginning.

I am hoping it continues for days to help replenish the reservoirs and give the farmers some relief.

Man the lifeboats by dinner time then nothing yet in chianger but looks imminent ????

34 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i have a amateur radio license in the USA and I am geek and I love storms. 

Radio operators without the pay.  Hams are normally into everything.  ???? 

Image result for ham radio operator

So far the Bangkok rain has been less than a drizzle.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Purely out of curiosity because I love your input on the weather threads, is this a hobby or did you have some sort of involvement on a professional level in a former life ???????? 

i have been watching Thai radar for about 5 years now and i have learned a lot in the past 24 hours why it does NOT rain as much in Hua Hin as the rest of the country watching the local radar. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

i have been watching Thai radar for about 5 years now and i have learned a lot in the past 24 hours why it does NOT rain as much in Hua Hin as the rest of the country watching the local radar. 

It's not raining just over the water from you here in Patts, the inlaws in Chanthaburi seem to be getting it worse, hopefully they won't lose anymore trees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I, too are kind of a weather nut. In the springtime I live stream KFOR out of OK to see all the severe weather action live and it's been on my bucket list for years to go storm chase - though the roads are very busy now for that activity. Been watching Thailand dodge catastrophic storms through it's geography (think typhoon Haiyan) since I've been here, Hua Hin especially is sheltered and the lack of endless seasonal rains is what brought me here from the Krabi region years ago. We had one tropical depression roll by here about 4 - 5 yrs ago or so and tore off some the roof in the building I live. Couldn't even imagine another typhoon forming in the Gulf and tearing up the seaside like Gay (thankfully I was not here). Fortunately a rare occurrence. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I, too are kind of a weather nut. In the springtime I live stream KFOR out of OK to see all the severe weather action live and it's been on my bucket list for years to go storm chase - though the roads are very busy now for that activity. Been watching Thailand dodge catastrophic storms through it's geography (think typhoon Haiyan) since I've been here, Hua Hin especially is sheltered and the lack of endless seasonal rains is what brought me here from the Krabi region years ago. We had one tropical depression roll by here about 4 - 5 yrs ago or so and tore off some the roof in the building I live. Couldn't even imagine another typhoon forming in the Gulf and tearing up the seaside like Gay (thankfully I was not here). Fortunately a rare occurrence. 

I was caught by typhoon Gay. Was doing a visa run down to Pedang Besar when it hit. Train from Bangkok and the bus out of Hatyai to the border. The bus only got half way to the border as the roads were flooded out - if I recall correctly we got as far as Bahn Prik. Had to wade through flood water, chest high in places. Dogs were sitting on car roofs to keep out of the water and there were quite a few snakes. Once through the flooded areas I hitched a lift and ended up having to stay the night in Pedang in a flophouse. The next day did the visa stamp-out - stamp-in rigmarole and got the bus back to Hatyai. The roads were dry, but Hatyai was now under water with pigs floating down the high street (Hatyai is in a geographic bowl and all the water ran into the city) and the army in with troop carriers to help people get through the floods. Slept a night on the bus station floor and another under a sofa in the lobby of a hotel on the outskirts of town. Managed to get a bus to Phuket as the roads to Bangkok were closed and the railway tracks had been washed out in places. Two nights in Phuket before I could get a bus to Surat Thani. Managed to catch the first bus out of there to Bangkok after the roads opened. Finally I got home to my 9 month old son and found out that the bus I caught was the first and last out of Surat Thani for nearly a week as the Ta Pi river burst its banks on the very night I left . I'll never forget that visa run 30 years ago come November. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have a amateur radio license in the USA and I am geek and I love storms. 

Why don't you get your Thai ham licence? It's easy if you have/had a US licence, just pay the small licence fee, no exams etc.

Update - back on topic.  Mild storm overnight here in north Laos, rest of today warm and dry weather.

Edited by simon43

35 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I was caught by typhoon Gay. Was doing a visa run down to Pedang Besar when it hit. Train from Bangkok and the bus out of Hatyai to the border. The bus only got half way to the border as the roads were flooded out - if I recall correctly we got as far as Bahn Prik. Had to wade through flood water, chest high in places. Dogs were sitting on car roofs to keep out of the water and there were quite a few snakes. Once through the flooded areas I hitched a lift and ended up having to stay the night in Pedang in a flophouse. The next day did the visa stamp-out - stamp-in rigmarole and got the bus back to Hatyai. The roads were dry, but Hatyai was now under water with pigs floating down the high street (Hatyai is in a geographic bowl and all the water ran into the city) and the army in with troop carriers to help people get through the floods. Slept a night on the bus station floor and another under a sofa in the lobby of a hotel on the outskirts of town. Managed to get a bus to Phuket as the roads to Bangkok were closed and the railway tracks had been washed out in places. Two nights in Phuket before I could get a bus to Surat Thani. Managed to catch the first bus out of there to Bangkok after the roads opened. Finally I got home to my 9 month old son and found out that the bus I caught was the first and last out of Surat Thani for nearly a week as the Ta Pi river burst its banks on the very night I left . I'll never forget that visa run 30 years ago come November. 

some people have all the fun.

• Haha 1