Coffee Plantations Around Chiang Mai

ollylama

Hi, I'm working on an article about coffee in and around Chiang Mai, both its cultivation and the growth of cafe culture. Does anyone know of any interesting coffee plantations not too far out of town? Also, if anyone can recommend any interesting coffeehouses or anything special to do with coffee in town, that would also be greatly appreciated.

I know only one -

Is up in the mountian beyond Dio suthep , after Doi pui - and on ..

you need to get to a place clal chang ken ( sound like )

if you go beyond there would be a un marked junction go left .

there is a white coffee plantation .. you can stay there for 200 baht a night - bring you own food .

if not be ready to only eat instant noodle .

is a very nice place and had some of the best coffee i had ever drink

good luck

"Also, if anyone can recommend any interesting coffeehouses or anything special to do with coffee in town, that would also be greatly appreciated."

What up Ollylama ? You know, for coffee culture you tooootally have to goto The Coffee Boy - "Coffee for Men" that you access off the back road heading out of the arcade bus station. You can take Kaew Nawarat toward the arcade bus station headed out from town towards the Superhighway, and then make a right onto Thung Hotel Road. You'll see the sign for the Coffee Boy there that points to the 'secret soi' that also gets you to the bus station.

As for the local coffee plantation, I jave direx's reprinted from a Thailand compendium called 'To Thailand with Love.' A great book. Here it is for looking over.

"Starting at the zoo at the western end of Huay Kaew Road, drive 16 km up the mountain—passing Doi Suthep Temple and the Summer Palace—to a small hilltribe market. Continue through this area another 1 km and you’ll come to a fork in the road. To the left is Meo Doi Pui Village, but you want to turn right and head toward Kun Chang Khian Village, which is 8 km away. You won’t go all the way to Kun Chang Khian—you’ll only drive 3.5 km from the fork. At this point the narrow paved road turns to dirt. You will see a small Forest Service shack and a parking area. Leave your motorbike and enjoy a leisurely walk along the 4WD road. After 4 km you’ll come upon fields of dark green coffee plants. Stop at the tiny coffee shop (there’s a sign) on the edge of a large field and enjoy a fresh cup of coffee. Another half km up the road is the actual village of Kun Chang Khian. There is nothing at all to see or do in this village, but dropping off to the right is another rough dirt road leading down the mountain to Tung Ting Lake. This is best done as a self tour, where you rent a Honda Dream motorcycle in town and easily motor yourself up the mountain to the end of the pavement. Walk the remaining 4 km to the coffee shack, sit and have a cup of coffee overlooking the fields and then turn around and walk back. The leisurely walking part of this tour takes about an hour and a half each way."

Good luck finding it - maybe I'd go with you. Sounds like a good day trip. I'm sure there's a story in there for me too. You know who who I am....

Hi, I'm working on an article about coffee in and around Chiang Mai, both its cultivation and the growth of cafe culture. Does anyone know of any interesting coffee plantations not too far out of town? Also, if anyone can recommend any interesting coffeehouses or anything special to do with coffee in town, that would also be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure Uwe at Duang Dee guesthouse / Duang Dee Hill Tribe Coffee is a full bottle (cup) on coffee in North Thailand.

Hi, I'm working on an article about coffee in and around Chiang Mai, both its cultivation and the growth of cafe culture. Does anyone know of any interesting coffee plantations not too far out of town?

A few days ago, I spotted an article in the current One-2-Go in-flight magazine about the Chiang Mai Royal Agricultural Research Centres at Baan Khun Wang and (smaller one about 6km further on) at Mae Jon Luang - both places have coffee plantations along with tea/macadamia nut/cherry/apricot/peach/pear/passion fruit/persimmon etc........ generally the things that flourish in a cooler climate grown on mountain terraces. To quote the article: "Baan Khun Wang...... is the biggest grower of Arabica coffee seedlings in the country, producing 700,000 plants a year".

I haven't been there myself yet, but the article gives these directions (from Highway 108 out of CM through Hang Dong):

"Drive from Chiang Mai to San Patong District and turn right (onto Highway 1013) in front of the Kasikorn Bank towards Mae Wang District. Go through Mae Wang and turn left. Distance: 88km (from CM city)"

Incidentally, my Periplus map shows a "Saturday Morning Caffe Market" (place of interest) on the left just after you turn on onto 1013 from 108. Might be worth checking out for your article?

A few days ago, I spotted an article in the current One-2-Go in-flight magazine about the Chiang Mai Royal Agricultural Research Centres at Baan Khun Wang and (smaller one about 6km further on) at Mae Jon Luang - both places have coffee plantations along with tea/macadamia nut/cherry/apricot/peach/pear/passion fruit/persimmon etc........ generally the things that flourish in a cooler climate grown on mountain terraces. To quote the article: "Baan Khun Wang...... is the biggest grower of Arabica coffee seedlings in the country, producing 700,000 plants a year".

I haven't been there myself yet, but the article gives these directions (from Highway 108 out of CM through Hang Dong):

"Drive from Chiang Mai to San Patong District and turn right (onto Highway 1013) in front of the Kasikorn Bank towards Mae Wang District. Go through Mae Wang and turn left. Distance: 88km (from CM city)"

Incidentally, my Periplus map shows a "Saturday Morning Caffe Market" (place of interest) on the left just after you turn on onto 1013 from 108. Might be worth checking out for your article?

Location Map for Khun Wang

137795515-S.jpg

(not the Periplus map)

Dear LollyMama

Glad it's coming along. I also have a # to a high up guy for the Royal Projects I've been meaning to say hi to for awhile. He's a great guy and had invited me last yr to go see the works on the mtns with him. Maybe something can be arranged for that too - some special intvw type thing giving props to Royal Projects for introducing new crops to the hilltribes. There's quite a history/ backstory to the whole thing. The idea was replacing opium production but giving the mtn peeps something sustainable in its stead.

Location Map for Khun Wang

137795515-S.jpg

(not the Periplus map)

Davidgtr - that's a useful-looking map. Given how variable Thai local maps tend to be, I like to refer to more than one when checking out locations, directions etc. Could you you please tell me the publisher/title of that map? Thanks in advance.

Davidgtr - that's a useful-looking map. Given how variable Thai local maps tend to be, I like to refer to more than one when checking out locations, directions etc. Could you you please tell me the publisher/title of that map? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the compliments. The map is called The Mae Hong Son loop, published by the GT Rider, 3rd edition December 2006.

Available many places in Cnx & on the loop.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo Ollylama !

I just went camping at Doi Inthanon and stayed at a hilltribe village. Had some amazing coffee. It's also part of the Int'l Fair Trade agreement. It's killer coffee. I only have about 2 coffees a month, but this stuff was so good I had to buy myself a bag.... a quarter kilo for 120 baht, sells for 2x that in town. Smells so frikking good.

I'll get you the details on it, they gave me an insert with phone # and other info too. I do know they work collectively and the profits has gone to upgreade conditions in the village eg they now own a couple trucks to get into town or around the mtns.

Dude...also send me which email is best to get in touch with you at. Drop me a line at mine so I can just put it in my address book.

I'll pm you with mine and then just write me back there. Danke.

• 4 years later...

I want to revive this thread. Husband and I live in Chiang Mai and we LOVE coffee. We've done every process (roasting, grinding, brewing all methods, etc) and all that's left is the coffee plantation.

We'd love to go stay the night near one and tour one. We are open to all areas - Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.

I can't find any info more recent than 2008! Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

check out this site... i am acquainted with the owner, a canadian... reportedly, the ONLY certified organic coffee grow in thailand....which is an amazing thing in its own right!

http://www.paradisemountaincoffeefarm.com/our_story_en.html

Previously, i have been up to plantations above Chiang Rai.... unless you know some village people (Hmong, or Akha or others) i never noticed any places to stay. Doi Chang is one of the biggest but they only cultivate once or twice a year, so if you want to see the process in full swing, do some homework and plan your trip accordingly.

Check out Hillkoff, their factory outlet is at 66 Chang Phuak Rd. Sripoom, CM (behind the other bus station called Chang Phuak). Great roasts and probably a good place to gather info

Hopefully this link will clarify the above directions. The shop, a great place to buy coffee, isn't located on Chang Phuek main road but off a rather busy turning on the right as you go North. This Soi 2 is only one way so you can't turn into it from the main road. If on a bike you can easily park in the soi on the left and walk across. Scroll down the list for Hillkoff on this link ; click it, and the location will pop up. A coffee connoisseur can't fail to enjoy a visit to this interesting shop.

http://maps.google.c...76248d&ll=18.81

Edited by Asmerom

Where can I get some Red Cliff in CM?

Any suggestions where it can be found in CM?

About the best tasting local coffee I have tasted comes from Chiang Rai area and it goes by the name brand Red Cliff.

I second that reccomendation for Red Cliff.

Derek is the owner of Red Cliff Coffee-I think it is against the rules to give his phone number. But, if you google "Red Cliff Coffee" & "Chiang Rai" you will get their website and you can contact them from there. Ask for a sample of each of their blends, then choose the one that most satifies your taste buds. BTW they can mix their blends for you as well. If you order it by the kilo it works out to be the most economical.

• 4 weeks later...

Red Cliff Coffee can be purchased at both Kasem Store branches (one near Worowot Market, the other on Nimmanhaemin Road near Warm Up).

All Rim Ping branches are scheduled to start carrying Red Cliff in September, but it's not on shelves yet.

Where can I get some Red Cliff in CM?

Any suggestions where it can be found in CM?

About the best tasting local coffee I have tasted comes from Chiang Rai area and it goes by the name brand Red Cliff.

I second that reccomendation for Red Cliff.

A great brand of locally grown hilltribe and fair trade coffee is Akha Ama www.akhaama.com

They have a small coffee shop in Santitham area at Hussadisawee Rd Soi 3 (North from Huay Kaew/Moat intersection, second soi on left after traffic lights)

BTW, that old Chiang Mai institution "The Coffee Boy" mentioned way back in this thread by realthaideal is sadly long, long gone. :whistling: Anyway, never did rate their coffee too much but there were compensatory attractions ;)

Try and contact this lot as i know they have plantations everywhere up here in the north. http://www.doichaangcoffee.com/

thanks for link - had no idea Doi Chaang was such a big company, and some interesting info on the website - we have three DC cafes in our region, but variances in how the product tastes

Depends on who is behind the counter, one is consistently superb (an owner/operator barista) the other two go from good to vg.

Drinking a cup of Nacha Coffee and it's excellent! I was introduced to it at coffee shop across the st. from YMCA where they make it w/a espresso machine and I bought some at their shop (@18 Airport Rd., which is on the other side than immigration almost at the end almost cross from Central Airpot Plaza) and brewed it at home resulting in a good cup o' joe!