Anyone own a Mercedes in Thailand? What does the balloon value mean?

davidst01

I was in a Mercedes show room the other day. On the sheet it refers to 'Balloon value'. Due to my lack of thai language skills I couldn't quite understand her description on this. What does it mean exactly? 

Also, how does one actually see what the year of manufacture is? I had a look on the seat belts but couldnt find anything

thanks

The label on the seat belt at floor level certainly used to give the production date. 

The branding details on the window glass also has some details including a single digit which is a year indicator that has to be read in conjunction with the model, i.e. '8' would indicate a date of 2018 on a recent model, or 2008 on an older model.

The balloon payment is the final payment required to be paid on a finance agreement required in order to finally own the car.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Baloon value allows for smaller monthly payments and a large last payment eg car xyz costs 20 k the ballon value could be 7k ( but never more than its trade in value)

The 7k is then payed whern you trade it in and start the whole process again with your next car

The 7k can also be paid in cash to the finance company or the owner could sell the car privatley and pay the 7k that way

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Check the compliance plate on the Chassis under the bonnet, included manufacture date

Is this the "VIN"? Vehicle identification number.

I know where to find at my car but not for Mercedes.

With the VIN you can find multiple sites that tell you the details.

If the car is registered it can also be found in the blue book.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Is this the "VIN"? Vehicle identification number.

I know where to find at my car but not for Mercedes.

With the VIN you can find multiple sites that tell you the details.

If the car is registered it can also be found in the blue book.

Yes, you could call it the Vin Number, I've always referred to it as the Compliance Plate, Manufacture Date, Serial Numbers excetera, usually mounted on the side wall of the engine bay. Chassis was an incorrect terminology really.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, davidst01 said:

Also, how does one actually see what the year of manufacture is? I had a look on the seat belts but couldnt find anything

There is normally a black plate/sticker inside the driver's door sill. This will have the VIN number on it. The VIN number should also be visible on a small plate that is visible through the bottom corner of the windscreen.

Take a photo of the VIN number and enter it into an online decoder.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

I think it means that as soon as you buy the car the value goes down as a led balloon, i think...

Yes that would be as soon as you drive it out of the showroom the value 'pops like a balloon' and its then worth 150k less. ????

Dont know for Mercs in LOS but in UK can also see the VIN at bottom of windscreen nearside (left as you look at car from front of vehicle) just above the Scuttle panel (where wipers protrude from) also under drivers seat there is a small access square in the carpet, lift it and the VIN is stamped into chassis here - then you should be able to just go online enter VIN and get details of vehicle as this Ukraine site: just enter your MB VIN and it will give you full details for that vehicle as it left the factory

On left margin you can select other manufacturers and check vehicles details (even gives factory codes so you know exactly what was speccd on that particular vehicle

https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes

Edited by Lokie

Balloon value = over inflated price.... joking i don’t have a clue.

My wife had to have a new Mercedes every 2-3 years.....she leased

all in her name. 

US we divorced and she was going to keep the car but the pay off

which they tacked on each time she got a new lease... it was more than a new one...

16 hours ago, legend49 said:

Balloon value ( Australian viewpoint). You lease or buy on HP, you agree on monthly payments for the term; often at manageable amounts from your viewpoint. When the term ends there is still a large amount of money owed as you chose lower monthly payments; this amount or balloon must be paid out ASAP.

No it doesn't. You can refinance the balloon for another 2 years effectively giving you a 7 year loan.

Or trade in vehicle pay out balloon and the balance on the new car and start again.