Brexit: PM Johnson faces mounting legal, political, diplomatic challenges

rooster59

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

There's nothing customary about a referendum. However, if there were to be a referendum, i think that most people would have favoured a referendum once they knew what deal was on offer and they could make an informed judgment as to what they were boting on, the negotiated exit agreement or remain. It's still not too late to bring a bit of sanity and real democracy back to the UK, it's only Boris and Cummings preventing democracy regaining it's rightful place in parliament.

Apparently all these "extra" days that Boris is gaining by having HM prorogue parliament total, in all, three sitting days. The rest of the time will be, as always, taken up with the annual party conferences which always occur at this time of year, when parliament doesn't sit anyway

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Three weeks. Normal party conference recess is three weeks. Just wanted to point that factual error of yours.

So perhaps you could also point out,  why at such a crucial trime for parliament, Johnson has enforced a 5 week break.

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/house-of-commons-guide-recess-dates-in-parliament-politics-c

"Conference recess - normally the last week in September and the first week in October"

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

So perhaps you could also point out,  why at such a crucial trime for parliament, Johnson has enforced a 5 week break.

Because it is very important for him in his... Cummings strategy , and hope the E.U. would start melting ….lol....

He is just hoping on a miracle or else forcing a W.A. from May in his version …. wait and watch him doing it 

29 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

There's nothing customary about a referendum. However, if there were to be a referendum, i think that most people would have favoured a referendum once they knew what deal was on offer and they could make an informed judgment as to what they were boting on, the negotiated exit agreement or remain. It's still not too late to bring a bit of sanity and real democracy back to the UK, it's only Boris and Cummings preventing democracy regaining it's rightful place in parliament.

Well, there has been a referendum already. The majority knew what they voting for and they made their fair judgement. Whatever your preferences are, they do not make a difference to that. Three years of remainers trying to prevent democracy themselves and they are now trying to claim the democratic high ground - they don't want to block a "no-deal" Brexit - they want is to stop Brexit completely. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, blazes said:

Brexit is serious sh!t, and you don't eff around if you're serious about getting this whole thing finished.  Cummings is just the exact kind of guy that's needed to weed out the traitors.

The weeding starts with the little guys (or, as here, the gals) and moves on up the chain until the likes of Hammond the Hammerhurler is brought to heel.

Cummings is an unelected thug.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forethat said:

I believe the Prime Minister has made his intentions  perfectly clear when he addressed fellow MPs. It's all in there. 

commons_letter.thumb.jpg.b3f7e2ae9fecdaa795ee070781e67e0a.jpg 

So you think he is giving his strategy away in a letter to parliament.

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

If there were a referendum today, no one, not even Cummings/Johnson, would know what they were voting for. If you know, do tell us the terms of the exit deal.

That's the point, Danny. Leavers did not vote for a deal. They just voted to leave the EU. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Because it is very important for him in his... Cummings strategy , and hope the E.U. would start melting ….lol....

He is just hoping on a miracle or else forcing a W.A. from May in his version …. wait and watch him doing it 

Cummings real agenda is to force a no deal Brexit on the UK. All the posturing over meetings with the EU and alternative proposals to the EU (which everyone knows are rediculous and doomed to failure) are pure smoke and mirrors to convince his base (howling brexiteers) that it was the EU's fault that we are leaving with no deal and they aren't to blame. They know that it's going to be an unmitigated disaster and need someone to pin the blame on, post Brexit, as the good ship Britannia sinks beneath the waves...and the band plays on.

Unfortunately for pin head Boris and his little weasly familiar, the likes of Barnier, Tusk and Merkel are far more experienced at the diplomatic game (and far more intelligent) and just bat the ball back to them every time that they try and get cute.

The moment when Boris asked Merkel for 2 years to find a solution to the Irish border problem and she turned to him, quick as a flash, and said, through gritted teeth, "Boris, I give you 30 days because I am so kind", was priceless. The look on Boris's face, pure gobsmacked numpty!

Edited by DannyCarlton

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/house-of-commons-guide-recess-dates-in-parliament-politics-c

"Conference recess - normally the last week in September and the first week in October"

Try looking as per Easter ????

(The exact date hovers within a 6 week window per annum with no one batting an eyelid)

14 minutes ago, evadgib said:

(The exact date hovers within a 6 week window per annum with no one batting an eyelid)

Can be …! but now it is needed to keep both eyes wide open on Boris & Cummings (:ninja:)  hidden agenda handling :ermm:....

Edited by david555

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I guess normality has a completely different meaning for people who base their comments on a dodgy website rather than hard facts. But then again, that's the essence of a hard core remainer: generate some random hogwash without having a clue...

Please find attached a link to the parliament web site with information regarding past conference recess date. Please point out ONE conference recess with a duration shorter than three weeks. When you're done, let me know if you still want a discussion regarding what's normal in terms of conference recess duration.

Have fun!

https://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/recess-dates/

https://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/recess-dates/recess/

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Do you know how the date for Easter is set? If you did you'd know why ti has a 6 week window. It's all about the moon...keep howling at it! 555

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Do you know how the date for Easter is set? If you did you'd know why ti has a 6 week window. It's all about the moon...keep howling at it! 555

You're behaving like a fisherman on his last cast having caught nowt all day.

Image result for fishing float gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Forethat said:

I guess normality has a completely different meaning for people who base their comments on a dodgy website rather than hard facts. But then again, that's the essence of a hard core remainer: generate some random hogwash without having a clue...

Hang on! You haven't answered my question yet!

If the conference recess is normally 3 weeks as you claim, why has Boris seen fit (or should I say Dominic Cummings) to unilateraly declare a conference season of 5 weeks on this occasion, when parliament is at a particularly crucial juncture?

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:

You're behaving like a fisherman on his last cast having caught nowt all day.

Image result for fishing float gif

Really? I've caught a little tiddler called evadgib on a number of occasions, even though it has sworn to ignore me. I just throw it back! There you go little tiddler, back to Mummy. 555

Edited by DannyCarlton

8 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Hang on! You haven't answered my question yet!

If the conference recess is normally 3 weeks as you claim, why has Boris seen fit (or should I say Dominic Cummings) to unilateraly declare a conference season of 5 weeks on this occasion, when parliament is at a particularly crucial juncture?

I have already answered that question. Not only are you factually incorrect, but you're also not paying attention...

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

- The border is the Eu's problem not UKs. If they manufacture the circumstances in which a hard border is required THEY should pay for it, man it and have it on their soil.

Seriously? I thought that one of reasons for the Brexit was to control Immigration, and now you tell us that UK will let the door full open for anyone who wants enter?! Good news for future candidates to immigration in UK. :cool:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Nowhere in that letter does it explain why such a long recess is needed (5 weeks). Now, perhaps you could explain it?

As his intentions are clearly described, I would assume they are also the reason for the parliamentary prorogation in question and that the allotted time is required for planning and preparation?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forethat said:

As his intentions are clearly described, I would assume they are also the reason for the parliamentary prorogation in question and that the allotted time is required for planning and preparation?

5 weeks as opposed to 3? Prorogation in preparation for the Queens speech is a few days. Absolutely no justification for a 5 week break. Boris Cummings doesn't even try to justify it.

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Really? I've caught a little tiddler called evadgib on a number of occasions, even though it has sworn to ignore me. I just throw it back! There you go little tiddler, back to Mummy. 555

'Mr Crabtree' is this end ol' son ????

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Seriously? I thought that one of reasons for the Brexit was to control Immigration, and now you tell us that UK will let the door full open for anyone who wants enter?! Good news for future candidates to immigration in UK. :cool:

No, I simply said that the EU will build, fund and man any hard border they choose to re-impose.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

No, I simply said that the EU will build, fund and man any hard border they choose to re-impose.

Why you say 'no'?

EU and other immigration was one of the main reasons for brexit, and as you said yourself 'the border is the EU problem, not UK'.

Contradiction.

• Haha 1