How about a solar car port on a budget?

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I made 148 units from my 5 panels, my best month so far.

November was our best month with 631 units from our 8*300W plus 10*345W panels. 

Interestingly the best DAY was in August which gave us 32.1 units, sadly the rest of the month was total carp ????

New Year bonus will buy a couple more panels plus some more solar floodlights (Madam is still in her "green" phase).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

November was our best month with 631 units from our 8*300W plus 10*345W panels. 

Interestingly the best DAY was in August which gave us 32.1 units, sadly the rest of the month was total carp ????

New Year bonus will buy a couple more panels plus some more solar floodlights.

If you buy from Aggiehome on the Lazada 1/1, 2/2, 3/3 deals they sell 340w panels for 2,800bht with free delivery.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i713768389-s1367528011.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you buy from Aggiehome on the Lazada 1/1, 2/2, 3/3 deals they sell 340w panels for 2,800bht with free delivery.

Do read some of the reviews, footprints, broken panels, missing connectors - are these new panels?

Also, how does the 1/2, 2/2 deal thing work?

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Do read some of the reviews, footprints, broken panels, missing connectors - are these new panels?

Also, how does the 1/2, 2/2 deal thing work?

I had 3 from them, one box had a rip and a small scratch on the surface of one panel, all 3 work perfectly, all new.

I think the delivery guys are a bit rough with items this bulky ......... same sort of reviews for all the panel suppliers.

Lazada has a sale day every month, the last 2 were on 11/11/2020 and 12/12/2020 .... 200-300bht off each panel on those days.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hit small problem with mine. The first string (3x360w) is still good and last two months has  produced 101 units  and 98 units. However the string closest to the house has only produced 60 units and 44 units the last two months. Unfortunately with the lower sun at this time of year, i am getting partial shading (from next door house in the morning and our house in the afternoon) of at least one panel for all but about 3hours. The effect of just partial shading is far more dramatic than i expected but at least from now , we are heading back to higher sun (less shading)

Not a lot i can do about it as limited with space/options so will just have to live with the roughly 3months of 50% loss on one string

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sidgy said:

Not a lot i can do about it as limited with space/options so will just have to live with the roughly 3months of 50% loss on one string

Yeah, shading of one panel in a string will have a much larger effect than just the loss of that panel.

General advice seems to be to optimise your strings so the constituent panels are all in full sun or all shaded at about the same time. Even down to using several smaller inverters / charge controllers and running with more but smaller strings.

We're going to have this problem as we extend our array to the west, the house (and Madam's trees) will increasingly be in the way later in the afternoon.

Exactly how we manage this will depend upon just how drastic the power loss is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sidgy said:

Hit small problem with mine. The first string (3x360w) is still good and last two months has  produced 101 units  and 98 units. However the string closest to the house has only produced 60 units and 44 units the last two months. Unfortunately with the lower sun at this time of year, i am getting partial shading (from next door house in the morning and our house in the afternoon) of at least one panel for all but about 3hours. The effect of just partial shading is far more dramatic than i expected but at least from now , we are heading back to higher sun (less shading)

Having them in parallel, gives less loss then in series.

In series a bit of shade on 1 panel gives a total loss for the string.

In parallel a bit of shade on 1 panel just loses that panel.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Be careful not to exceed the maximum string current for your inverter.

Our Sofar has a maximum string current of 11A per MPPT (it has two) which means that with 300-450W panels you can't parallel them on a string ???? 

• Like 2

I had a problem with my inverter a couple of months ago. It stopped. There was nothing spectacular about it's failure it just simply ceased to do anything. The problem was a low voltage control failure of some sort. No helpful information or spares from the manufacturer so I got myself a new internal power pcb for 4,000 Baht from Ali Express which took some time to get to me. It's all running fine now although somewhat cooler than the old one which is good. I fitted some additional features for cooling which may or may not be necessary when things get a bit warmer. It seems strange that there is hardly and fan sound now after years of getting used to a general roar in the background.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, shading of one panel in a string will have a much larger effect than just the loss of that panel.

General advice seems to be to optimise your strings so the constituent panels are all in full sun or all shaded at about the same time. Even down to using several smaller inverters / charge controllers and running with more but smaller strings.

We're going to have this problem as we extend our array to the west, the house (and Madam's trees) will increasingly be in the way later in the afternoon.

Exactly how we manage this will depend upon just how drastic the power loss is.

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thanks for the replies / suggestions. i will probably just leave as is for now, i can live with these figures for the 3 months of the year it will affect me, it doesnt have too much of a detrimental effect in the grand scheme of things, only adds a couple of months on the ROI, if an inverter gives up the ghost, i will probably then reconfigure , and unfortunately i am probably returning to the UK at the end of the month, as i have been offered a job and have not worked since Feb last year  so will probably have to take it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidgy said:

unfortunately i am probably returning to the UK at the end of the month, as i have been offered a job

Ah yes, work the curse of the drinking classes.

Good luck with the job and watch out for those spikey footballs, they are bouncing all over the UK. Check the latest entry requirements, BJ is Mr U-Turn these days.

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Be careful not to exceed the maximum string current for your inverter.

Our Sofar has a maximum string current of 11A per MPPT (it has two) which means that with 300-450W panels you can't parallel them on a string ???? 

Oddly enough my Suoer GTI is the opposite and specifies a maximum string voltage of 45v, so I can only parallel them on a string.

IMG_20210110_135355.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Ah yes, work the curse of the drinking classes.

Good luck with the job and watch out for those spikey footballs, they are bouncing all over the UK. Check the latest entry requirements, BJ is Mr U-Turn these days.

Yeah Thanks.

Its complicated at the moment. I work offshore and the job will be in EU waters. Due to new regulations (90 days in 180 day period allowed in schengen area) unfortunately i will have to return to the UK after every hitch until Thailand opens its borders again without quarantine requirements.

A more significant problem for my solar production could be my wife rememembering to leave an a/c or two running on meter reading day to ensure no reverse spinning of the meter haha

On 12/31/2020 at 6:07 PM, BritManToo said:

very nice....  ffunny ad .. talk about 

• 3. Used for pumping agricultural water. Used in conjunction with water pump To pump groundwater (Water pump must try to get dc power or have an inverter to power the pump X

I will use the power for WHATEVER......

Just now, Seeall said:

very nice....  ffunny ad .. talk about 

• 3. Used for pumping agricultural water. Used in conjunction with water pump To pump groundwater (Water pump must try to get dc power or have an inverter to power the pump X

I will use the power for WHATEVER......

Very cool project....  appreciae it, keep it comming...  ah, hope you primed those steel beams, I am an anti rust freak and hate rust and builders too lazy to slap on primer... yes I know it costs more than paint so workers dont even mention it as they think you want cheap cheap..  yes yes but not if it makes more damn work and costs....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

And paint.  Most primers will deteriorate over time unless painted.

Yes, our steel structures are painted with Delta gloss, Coral Red, mainly because the local outlet got a job lot so it's cheap.

For contrast the stuff for the solar is sprayed with Toa acrylic "Mist Grey" for no other reason than it was there (© 1953 Sir Edmund Hillary).

I want to feel warm and Fuzzy helping the environment... ROI not big time important but want to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the investment. The more I read the more frustrated I become setting up a system here in Burriram... The local shop in the big town is selling 10kw kits including fitting for around 310K bht. I have done the sums fitting a system myself using outside help and come up with roughly 1/3 of the price. A big saving on ROI!! I have some questions not being a sparky and what I do know confirms I know <deleted> all of <deleted> all!!

So I'm looking at either a 6kw system or maybe in preference a 10 kw system grid tied. My average power bin is 4500bht p/m. The roof has sun on it 95% of the day (East/West orientation). 

My biggest stumbling point is getting a quality inverter (not Chinglish) hopefully supplied from within Thailand that I can get history and current performance of the system via computer graphs (consumption from grid/export a bit back into grid as old wheel meter? sshh) etc... The more info from the operating system the better. Does anybody have a link or supplier they would recommend. Doing the online Lazada search I keep coming up with O/S companies that do not deliver etc etc. Would like to purchase local if can.

1 hour ago, Thaifish said:

I want to feel warm and Fuzzy helping the environment... ROI not big time important but want to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the investment. The more I read the more frustrated I become setting up a system here in Burriram... The local shop in the big town is selling 10kw kits including fitting for around 310K bht. I have done the sums fitting a system myself using outside help and come up with roughly 1/3 of the price. A big saving on ROI!! I have some questions not being a sparky and what I do know confirms I know <deleted> all of <deleted> all!!

So I'm looking at either a 6kw system or maybe in preference a 10 kw system grid tied. My average power bin is 4500bht p/m. The roof has sun on it 95% of the day (East/West orientation). 

My biggest stumbling point is getting a quality inverter (not Chinglish) hopefully supplied from within Thailand that I can get history and current performance of the system via computer graphs (consumption from grid/export a bit back into grid as old wheel meter? sshh) etc... The more info from the operating system the better. Does anybody have a link or supplier they would recommend. Doing the online Lazada search I keep coming up with O/S companies that do not deliver etc etc. Would like to purchase local if can.

yes, the customs department is brutal and childish and mostly dont know what they are doing.... scary...  I donmt know how lazada and the big boys do it. but they do...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thaifish said:

The more I read the more frustrated I become setting up a system here in Burriram...

I am also in Buriram where I have my 8 kW off grid system. My system has been running reasonably well for the past seven years or so and came from China as a complete kit including batteries for about the same price as your quote. I have upgraded and modified/repaired it from time to time and am very happy with the result. If you would like some help pm me.

• Like 2

@Thaifish we are very happy with our Sofar inverter, although we got ours from China they are available here on Lazada although the range is limited. 

I've had excellent support from Sofar themselves, very quick to assist and reasonable English.

Solar inverters carry 10% duty (HS Code 8504.40.0000), also add 7% VAT. Note that duty and VAT are calculated on the CIF (Cost, Insurance, Freight) value and not just the value of the item itself.

If going for a unit imported from China it's worth asking if they can do "Thailand Special Line", slightly slower but import duty and VAT is included in the shipping cost. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1165517-anyone-used-evereast-special-line-shipping-china-to-thailand/

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

although we got ours from China

This is also my preferred purchase route primarily because all the Thai suppliers tend to demand prohibitively high profit margins. Having said, that there are some companies like Amorn who sell component parts of systems which are not too bad but still more expensive than self imported goods. If self import is what you want, first make sure you are knowledgeable enough to at least fit things together unaided. Help from China can be a bit difficult sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Muhendis said:

This is also my preferred purchase route primarily because all the Thai suppliers tend to demand prohibitively high profit margins. Having said, that there are some companies like Amorn who sell component parts of systems which are not too bad but still more expensive than self imported goods. If self import is what you want, first make sure you are knowledgeable enough to at least fit things together unaided. Help from China can be a bit difficult sometimes. 

Yeah, mine too.

For comparison our 6kW Sofar cost 537USD (16,160 THB) all in, the 5kW version of the same unit on Lazada (now out of stock) is 19,900 THB.

Online support from both Kraideng (micro-inverters) and Sofar (the big beast) has been excellent.