How about a solar car port on a budget?

I have been following this thread for quite a while and I have enjoyed it immensely.

Perhaps I missed it, but @Crossy, have you calculated the payback period taking into consideration the low rate PEA is willing to pay for the excess generation that you feed back into the grid?

The calculation is probably a snap for a meticulous data collector???? such as yourself.???? 

15 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I have been following this thread for quite a while and I have enjoyed it immensely.

Perhaps I missed it, but @Crossy, have you calculated the payback period taking into consideration the low rate PEA is willing to pay for the excess generation that you feed back into the grid?

The calculation is probably a snap for a meticulous data collector???? such as yourself.???? 

We are doing the "unofficial" net metering (spinning the conventional meter backwards whilst exporting) with mitigation in place to prevent the meter reader actually seeing it going backwards. Others have run into problems and had no-reverse meters fitted. So the actual calculation is easy using all the solar output at 4.5 Baht per unit as the financial value. Payback on the current system is around 3 years.

I've not calculated payback based upon the rather feeble feed-in tariff (2.1 Baht per unit IIRC). PEA only pay you for what you actually export (which varies with the weather as the available solar gets used for local consumption) so the sums are rather harder. I have all the data so I might sit down and do it if I get the urge.

On a good day we might export and re-import (at night) 12 units of a total solar generation of 30 units, on a less good day we may not export at all and generate maybe 14 units from the solar.

We never get to actual net export as our daily energy consumption from solar and grid is between 40 and 60 units dependant upon how many visitors we have using A/C.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

We are doing the "unofficial" net metering (spinning the conventional meter backwards whilst exporting) with mitigation in place to prevent the meter reader actually seeing it going backwards.

Of course the batteries and hybrid inverter are there for testing for when we end up with an electronic or no-reverse meter which I'm sure will happen one day (hopefully not too soon of course).  

• Like 1

Sunday.

Steelwork completed, tiles going on.

Image00001.jpg.c11fdf6bed88eedd76b953ad4a3aa5f8.jpg

Getting the first row of tiles to fit with the existing roof under the solar was a bit of a wrestle as we couldn't reach the screws to loosen. A bit of farang muscle applied underneath got them in eventually.

Image00002.jpg.2018d3213f982f6d1e4debdeb74d4256.jpg

Image00003.jpg.10b8fcf4e0dfaa9cad38ee610f1d0e07.jpg

Total materials cost just under 24,000 Baht.

Labour (family) about 5k plus food and beer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Crossy, since your solar plant have been running for a while now, do you have good data for how much energy you get out of your system on a cloudy overcast day?

Maybe not your absolute worse day, but an average low number, preferably in Kwh/m2 per day. 

The upper limit is a bit easier to estimate.  Do you get somewhere around 0.8 kWh/m2 on a clear sunny day?

Not to hijack this thread, just need low data to design a small solar/battery system for my UV light and pump nuclear plant. Maybe include a few LED lights for emergency use. I will skip the whole AC part and stay on 24 V DC.

17 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The upper limit is a bit easier to estimate.  Do you get somewhere around 0.8 kWh/m2 on a clear sunny day?

The best day last year was about 0.91kWh/m2 so 0.8kWh/m2 probably isn't a mile off as an average "good" day, really nasty days drop to 0.25kWh/m2.

The last week of "mostly cloudy" days have averaged around 0.65kWh/m2.

I have the production data back to March last year in a 50MB .csv (it's every 60 seconds) but it doesn't have weather in there, if you fancy crunching some numbers.

Whilst we are talking about production, here are July's numbers.

Note the outlier on the 3rd wasn't a super good day, the extra came from a pre-charged battery pack on the hybrid.

Untitled.png.124d71cdb6fc84c0998813739c97b4f6.png

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Whilst we are talking about production, here are July's numbers.

My worst month this year (114 units from 5 panels) ....... but luckily it didn't matter, because my COVID discount was from my best month this year. Final bill = 400bht

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For completeness I've pulled this from another thread, this is what we currently have in the battery box.

Since we are "experimental" (and not millionaires) I got the used golf-cart batteries from lifepo4shop 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/calb-lifepo4-32v-200ah-4-12v-i2523760591-s8967280783.html

I've seen these advertised as "new" on AliExpress but CALB stopped using that case style some years back. I've also got a "100Ah" pack which I was given by a mate who was rather miffed to find they measured at 50Ah, so yes finding a good seller isn't always easy!

They're certainly well used, testing at about 80% of new capacity but at 1,600 Baht a pop what's not to like. We will see how they go life wise. They're coupled with a Daly 16S 100A Smart BMS

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2480878972-s8740847689.html

We also have a "flying capacitor" active balancer which can shift 5A between any pair of cells if they go off balance. With used and probably mis-matched cells I consider this an essential item. It works very well, this morning the cells are within 12mV according to the BMS.

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i2299959424-s7751185517.html

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

So today we went shopping. I have purchased 12 x 340W Jinyuan poly panels @ 2,890 Baht a pop, from Global House I'm in instant-gratification mode.

EDIT I ordered and paid online via the Global website for pickup from our local store, the store called when they were ready for collection (slightly over the promised 30 minutes, but no problem) so minimal interaction with crowds all very easy and professional.

So assuming the weather is OK tomorrow the supports will go up along with the panels if time permits.

This will bring us to just over 10kWp which is probably going to be our final configuration, there is room for a further 6 panels but they would be quite heavily shaded by the house in the afternoon.

Once these panels are up the configuration will look something like this:-

1429560729_CrossySolar1.thumb.jpg.4714e27a3b66b5a1271ae1462f911c21.jpg

More news as it happens!

How good do they work together , the grid tie unit and the hybrid ? Does the hybrid charge the battery 1st ( is that a standard way hybrids work , when charging the battery before putting out 220V ) ?

Very nice to know , since it would mean a good grid tie unit can work together prob with a standard off grid unit

Your Sofar units are both good quality but 40+k for the hybrid is a lot of cash . Knowing you can have off grid units mppt 5kW at around 15000 and a grid tied and around 10000 . Idk why the decent on grid hybrids are sooo expensive since the technology needed is very low to make them hybrid , but im not a constructor ( which prob is the reason , since they like to jack up the price of the intelligent ones ) . Cut out the mppt track , build in a low to high voltage transformer and a chip which controls both flows and you are done . All buy them is not expensive , get them in 1 box and suddenly it gets very expensive .

• Like 2

The weather is being kind at present, but there's a promise of flash, bang and dampness later ???? 

Solar mounting rails go up, we're using the same method as for the first batch.

20210912_123112.jpg.edaa2fb1d7954487659045b920e23298.jpg

Maintenance walkway in place for ease of cleaning with the hose and our telescopic pool brush.

20210912_133524.jpg.9f11bacccd0d641ab79e00f34b9c8e56.jpg

It's right about now that one realises that solar panels actually aren't all a standard size :whistling:

20210912_133701.jpg.3cc59aa03bad3333c5caabbea01f5b01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

For anyone who's interested the "budget" has expanded somewhat, total spend is now 220,499 Baht (not including the actual structure).

No indication of payback at present coz the new panels haven't actually generated a watt.

• Like 1

Well yesterday was "cloudy" according to the forecast but actually turned out pretty sunny.

We generated 41.8kWh from the solar and used 2.4kWh from the grid. We exported and then re-imported 13.4kWh giving me an idea of how much more storage we will need if/when we get an electronic meter installed.

The cool weather has meant that our total daily consumption is down somewhat due to less A/C usage. I'll be monitoring closely we don't want a suspiciously low bill just yet. Our average daily grid consumption from our last bill was 25kWh.

Maybe I need to start a campaign of leaving lights on or taking longer hot showers (grand-daughter won't need any encouraging there), my turning the lights off campaign has been a bit too successful :whistling:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Have you still got the genset weaved into the schematic?

Yup, not using the EPS output of the hybrid as yet. So if the juice goes out we run the genset.

I need to do some magic with the wiring as the EPS can only do 3kW.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup, not using the EPS output of the hybrid as yet. So if the juice goes out we run the genset.

I need to do some magic with the wiring as the EPS can only do 3kW.

So you've still got grid, solar, batteries and genset all automatic?