How Soon To Apply For 1 Year Renewal?

My 1-year type-O visa (thai wife) expires on May 20. How long before the expiration date is recommended to go in for renewal?

My gut tells me about a month?

What happens if your visa expires while the new visa is still in the renewal process?

Your are talking about the annual extension of stay. Immigration likes to see you no earlier than 30 days before the expiration of your current permission to stay. Technically, you could apply on the last day before the expiration, but it is generally recommended to apply with 20 to 30 days remaining. If any document should be missing or they unexpectedly come up with a new requirement, this will give you plenty of time to attend to it.

--

Maestro

When you make the application they provide you with a new 30 (or more) day extension, and continue to do so until approval.

So in the event that your renewal aplication got denied you could continue to resubmit your application and get the 30 (or more) day extension again?

I'm in the same boat shortly and would just like to add for clarification that yes. they will give you 30 days pending approval, however if you are short of obvious requirements, such as your wife, your bank letter, etc etc, then they will probably only give a week to produce the missing document / person.

They do have discretion as to how the application is submitted to Bkk.

I hope I haven't muddied the water for you, but 4 years of this has taught me never to assume or presume anything.

Some times I feel I would be happier wrestling crocodiles for a living :o

My visa expires this JUne but I am not going to be in LOS when it expires. How soon can i apply for the 1yyear renewal (o marriage visa)?

I assume you have a one year extension of stay now rather than a visa entry. You should plan to be here when visa extension of stay is due to be renewed. As this procedure is not immediate you would have to apply at least a month before you depart in order to get new extension and obtain re-entry permit. You can take travel plans to Immigration and request it be done early but that will be up to them. If unable to do obtain a new non immigrant visa for entry and do 60 days after your return.

My visa expires this JUne but I am not going to be in LOS when it expires. How soon can i apply for the 1yyear renewal (o marriage visa)?

I assume you have a one year extension of stay now rather than a visa entry. You should plan to be here when visa extension of stay is due to be renewed. As this procedure is not immediate you would have to apply at least a month before you depart in order to get new extension and obtain re-entry permit. You can take travel plans to Immigration and request it be done early but that will be up to them. If unable to do obtain a new non immigrant visa for entry and do 60 days after your return.

Yes I have a 1 year extension. I cannot be in LOS during my visa renewal period so I will take my travel plans to them and hope they are in a good mood that day. Hopefully they are willing to work with me.

Thanks for your advice Lopburi!