What are expats really saying when they say they don't feel welcome anymore in the LOS

4MyEgo

just about every civil thai i came across were friendly,

i think its entirely down to immigration policies,

and individuals in police, that makes me feel unwelcome.

i think the rants about unfriendly thais

comes down to

'too expensive to rent a hooker on my fixed income'

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

My total annual income and spend here is greater than that which is required but is not accepted because it the amount differs from month to month or arrives bi monthly.

You really need to educate yourself on the new rules.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No it doesn't.
Afford to live is about cost of living.
Being able to navigate the visa system is separate.
Sometimes that's about financial requirements for visas and sometimes it's not.
For example some nations ban HIV positive people. That has nothing to do with either affording the cost of living or the visa requirements.
That isn't even debatable.
It is NOT always only about the money.
That is both false and moronically simplistic.
Cheers.

Thank you for calling me a simplistic moron.

But you used the $500k USD investment as your example, and I simply stated that this was about being able to "afford" the visa, which is integral to being able to "afford" to live in the country in question. Bringing HIV into the equation changes the argument and, of course, represents a case that is not about "affordability". Similarly, in Thailand, having a criminal record would prevent obtaining a visa or extension of stay. Your argument is similar to saying "I would be able to buy a house, if I did not have to pay taxes". The visa requirements are integral to your being able to afford to live in another country, specifically because you are an expat.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

About 6 months ago, I decided to cut my time spent on TVF by about 80%.

These days I am about 80% happier.

Get out from behind the computer and go live a little... it's fun. Even (especially!) in Thailand

Have a nice day.

Noticed that.

You did the right thing.

WILCO

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

Plenty of people who did live here. Who could afford to live here have been TOLD they cannot afford to live here by an arbitrary financial dictat and changes in the administration of some rules. My total annual income and spend here is greater than that which is required but is not accepted because it the amount differs from month to month or arrives bi monthly.
Excellent example of what I've been trying to say. There are many types of reasons to call it quits here.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Plenty of people who did live here. Who could afford to live here have been TOLD they cannot afford to live here by an arbitrary financial dictat and changes in the administration of some rules. My total annual income and spend here is greater than that which is required but is not accepted because it the amount differs from month to month or arrives bi monthly.

But it was all sweet until Your embassy shut you down correct?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you for calling me a simplistic moron.

But you used the $500k USD investment as your example, and I simply stated that this was about being able to "afford" the visa, which is integral to being able to "afford" to live in the country in question. Bringing HIV into the equation changes the argument and, of course, represents a case that is not about "affordability". Similarly, in Thailand, having a criminal record would prevent obtaining a visa or extension of stay. Your argument is similar to saying "I would be able to buy a house, if I did not have to pay taxes". The visa requirements are integral to your being able to afford to live in another country, specifically because you are an expat.
I didn't call you a name. Goodbye.

• Haha 1

What a laugh. The only farangs that they're trying to 'purge' themselves of are the obvious criminal element and those farangs who can barely afford to be here. If you can afford to be here, Thailand is a piece of cake. Try affording somewhere else and see what you end up with. I think it's sad that they're causing families to be torn apart, but I've never heard it said that any Asians gave a shiit about anyone but themselves, Thailand included.
Baby with the bath water innit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No it doesn't.
Afford to live is about cost of living.
Being able to navigate the visa system is separate.
Sometimes that's about financial requirements for visas and sometimes it's not.
For example some nations ban HIV positive people. That has nothing to do with either affording the cost of living or the visa requirements.
That isn't even debatable.
It is NOT always only about the money.
That is both false and moronically simplistic.
Cheers.

It's ALWAYS about the money.

• Sad 1