Things Went Sideways....My Options?

On 9/1/2019 at 4:56 AM, bluebluewater said:

eah yeah tough guy.  I'm sure that would have worked.  Just in case it didn't what would be your next move?

Obtain the names in the Consul who dealt with you and the name of the Senior Official- contact the FBI and make a report and aalso let the Consulate know you are doing this.

At the same time- tell the Consulate that since they cannot find your Passport- they  owe you either the new Passport Fee or the O-A Fee or both.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, Senior Player said:

The real issue here is that the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles lost your original passport. They claimed that your visa was approved but that they somehow lost it somewhere in the process. I don't know how they relayed this information to you and how you gave your response, but you probably should've done more at the time to hold them to account. A passport doesn't just go missing as they're supposed to have a system in place to prevent this. Question is, was it stolen by an employee at the Consulate with the intention of it being sold on the black market? Personally, I wouldn't have let them off the hook so easily when they said they'd lost it. Your passport must still be in their building, and it will be contained within a certain part of the building. They handle passports every single day so it can’t be said that they “probably have lost your passport” It will be in that building somewhere. I would've spoken to the highest authority there and demanded they find it and waiver all fees for their incompetence.  

Report the passport as stolen to the police and point out the perpetrators.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 7:58 PM, Senior Player said:

The real issue here is that the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles lost your original passport. They claimed that your visa was approved but that they somehow lost it somewhere in the process. I don't know how they relayed this information to you and how you gave your response, but you probably should've done more at the time to hold them to account. A passport doesn't just go missing as they're supposed to have a system in place to prevent this. Question is, was it stolen by an employee at the Consulate with the intention of it being sold on the black market? Personally, I wouldn't have let them off the hook so easily when they said they'd lost it. Your passport must still be in their building, and it will be contained within a certain part of the building. They handle passports every single day so it can’t be said that they “probably have lost your passport” It will be in that building somewhere. I would've spoken to the highest authority there and demanded they find it and waiver all fees for their incompetence.  

agree, i certainly wouldn't let it go; your passport has either been lost in, which case they should be able to find it, or stolen which means there is a thief at the embassy/consulate and your passport could be sold and used for criminal activity. I would have asked to speak to someone in a more senior position and politely and calmly explained that i would have to report the circumstances of the missing passport to the police in order to get replacement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Obtain the names in the Consul who dealt with you and the name of the Senior Official- contact the FBI and make a report and aalso let the Consulate know you are doing this.

At the same time- tell the Consulate that since they cannot find your Passport- they  owe you either the new Passport Fee or the O-A Fee or both.

Well said. That's what I would have done @Thaidream. There's none of this "tough guy" drivel that @bluebluewater just spouted in his linked response, who appears to lack the necessary skills to engage in his brain first before his defeatist response mechanism kicks in.

On 9/1/2019 at 12:41 AM, BertM said:

Xfer 800k to SCB via Swift xfer so it shows up as foreign xfer. Come in visa exempt. Go apply for 90 day non O visa based on 800k for  2,000 THB. Then, apply for extension based on retirement after 2 mths seasoning with 800k for 1,900 THB. Depending on what office you use, they may do 90-day & 12 mths both at same time. They did for me in Jomtien. I got 15 mths on my first visit, but that was in 2016.

It's less hectic (maybe problem with a document) to start with a 60 days TR Visa from the US, then after 30 days convert it into a 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement. Then after 60 days apply for the extension. Just like you said. When having those 30 days before conversion to prepare, there's no stress what so ever.

An unfortunate incident. The L.A. Consulate is generally considered very good. I went there in person and was treated very well and got my visa the next day. While you may not trust the L.A. Consulate there are other Consulates in the US. You have the compare the pain of repeating the application process and paying the $200 again vs the process of coming to Thailand and going through a different process. It is not necessarily simpler here. Good luck.