Almost denied at Suvarnabhumi airport

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

For a 30 day Visa exempt, I believe OP said something about a 60 day stay so assume a Tourist Visa. 

The op said he got a 90 day visa exempt entry. Presumably he's from one of those South American nations the Thais give these to (why is that?) or got it from the gratuity implied was given? Either way these types of threads don't help unless a racial profile is included in the o/p so we got the same to work on as the IO modus operandi.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

But can take a VERY  long time and don't  you  have to present  yourself  back in Thailand to do it?

I'd  love  to see an appeal  success story if there actually is one?

No, you appeal from detention and stay up to 7 more days in detention until you get the result. In theory.

In practice, nobody appeals because everyone wants to get out asap. 

They might let you in though, if it gives them headaches. Or not. But according to various reports over the years, appealing is just wasting more of your time. A few thousand baht produce quicker results.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well at least it has English language. I had an impression of people being forced to sign something they could not read.

If I had the required 20,000, I would not sign as it would be untrue. 

The form I signed was only in Thai. I felt pressured to cooperate and was not alone. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

I'd  love  to see an appeal  success story if there actually is one?

Not to mention the appeal itself will cost 1,900 baht, as usual. ????

And "hotel" charge 750 baht + VAT per 24 hrs if I am not mistaken.

Better pay them off.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There was a successful appeal but can't remember the thread. I think they let him in before they officially started the procedure. There is also a thread not long ago from a guy whose lawyer convinced immigration to let him in after he already signed the paper and was in detention. 

• Like 1

10,000 for VE entry.
20,000 for TV entry.
The OP is most certainly from one of those south American countries who benefits from the 90 days entry (bilateral agreement) therefore it is not clear how much cash they have to carry, likely 20k baht (or equivalent in FC).

Sent from my oppo f9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

Well if they make this "You help me - I help you" a consistent service, I'm sure there will be takers. I wouldn't be worried about their reputation, if I were them, most foreigners consider them corrupt pigs anyway.

Even heaps of thais i know consider them worst than pigs, more like water monitor lizard

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

As an aside a friend with a passport from China arrived about 10 days ago at Don Muang and he told me that the 200b payments (placed under passport) have been reinstated so I guess we all know why Big Joke was transferred. He told me that a large tour group was given priority and placed in front of him so he had a good opportunity to see what was happening with others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Australia its widely recommend not to travel overseas with large amounts of money, people going to Bali and the Philippines from here use travel cards especially first time travelling.
The Thai government wants to change Thailand to a cashless economy according to the PM.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Martyp said:

First of all you have a long history of travel here so you should carry the 20,000 baht so that is not an issue. I'm sure you can find a way to carry it on your person safely. 

In the OP's 7th sentence he states that he showed more than 20k BHT.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1