Almost denied at Suvarnabhumi airport

11 hours ago, lkv said:

The new one clearly states it's his first post, he's from central Europe and not native in English. ????????????

My mistake - just noticed the thread you're referring to, You're right, the story with the duty frees definitely sounds bogus. 

39 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

My mistake - just noticed the thread you're referring to, You're right, the story with the duty frees definitely sounds bogus. 

And then, on that particular thread, after a few posts that question the OP, another "newbie" jumps in, saying: "I believe him ... Reality is often stranger than fiction.", defending the OP.

And then perhaps, in 3 months time, that one "logs back in" when he also "got rejected". Or "almost rejected".

Its just that, I find it so so tiring to look at every username in particular, dig their posting history on Google for slightly older accounts with low community reputation, to try and differentiate trolls. These people, whoever they may be, seem to be creating accounts non stop for a while now.

Edited by lkv

30 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The problem is that immigration has been playing fast and loose with their responsibilities in recent times, to the extent it seems like they've almost gone rogue in some circumstances. In that regard I appreciate anyone who showcases this fact with genuine experiences. Made up stories don't do anyone any favours (and are usually exposed as such very quickly) but at the same time there's a plethora of apologists out there who'll willingly cast doubt on any account of events that casts the Thais in a bad light. 

You know, on certain nationalities, they are actually more open in asking for bribes, particularly with some Asians.

Ask the Filipinos for instance. They would give you all the breakdown. 200 baht in the passport was mandatory at Sadao. Probably still is.

Bottle, don't know what to make of it, that's actually like a 10 year old story. I'd say they prefer currency nowadays.

For me actually, there were other triggers in the story.

Edited by lkv

On 8/31/2019 at 11:20 PM, Farangland said:

I can see less and less tourists.

Many claim that without proving it. Hell even the TAT has trouble proving anything. I am not afraid to bash Thailand when it is due, but claiming such a thing without proof to get bashers on your side is IMHO pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/1/2019 at 12:12 AM, yogi100 said:

The female IO suspected and accused him of working in the LOS. She was very rude and aggressive the whole time  before slamming his passport on the desk and telling him with a snarl to 'Go'. 

What we learn from it ? Avoid Female IO.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Many claim that without proving it. Hell even the TAT has trouble proving anything. I am not afraid to bash Thailand when it is due, but claiming such a thing without proof to get bashers on your side is IMHO pathetic.

People can use their eyes to see for themselves if a resort has less and less tourists or not. To say they can't is pathetic. My friend who I speak to regularly lives in Pattaya and he says its the quietest for falangs that he's ever seen it.

An English style pub The Butchers Arms, two beer bars The Rich Bar and Cafe Racer and a GGB the Oasis have all just recently called it a day and shut up shop. And they are all within a couple of hundred yards of one another near Soi LKM.

They don't need TAT or anyone else to tell 'em what's going on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

and a GGB the Oasis have all just recently called it a day and shut up shop

You obviously do not know fully what you talk of. Oasis has been refurbished and renamed Serenity. Someone must think there is still business. 

Hasn't Cafe Racer also reopened?

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, FredGallaher said:

So the bar stool philosophers are leaving. They contribute very much 555. Its probably more to due with the pound tanking than anything going on here.

That would only account for the Brits, what about the other nationalities.

The baht is currently strong against all currencies, even the Nordic Countries.

Many long termers are leaving, me thinks more to do with the cessation of Embassy Income letters.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

So the bar stool philosophers are leaving. They contribute very much 555. Its probably more to due with the pound tanking than anything going on here.

You seem to have very good rose coloured spectacles.

IMHO immigration is corrupt certainly downright nasty ones male n female at airports borders

you met nice ones, ok, theres nice ones, the one that does my visa is nice

As for barstool whatevers, they may have been here longer than you and are certainly no better or worse person than you 

Currency crashes are unpleasant to all

GBP is now a 2nd rate currency and its effecting everyone here thats drawing income in GBP

Remember Thais dont ever trust each other so why would you trust a IMO ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

The female IO I have had to deal with at local immigration are gems. When they call me Loong and my wife Bah, I ask if I can call them Nong. They just laugh and say its OK. Always very helpful. When my friend showed up in a wheelchair from an accident, they immediately took him to the front of the line. Always courteous and professional. The boss lady even delayed going to lunch to complete and sign his visa. Tell me another country where you get this kind of great service.

Because one female IO is calling you out because you are not following the rules, doesn't make her or others bad. Maybe she's tired of the BS from the scammers. 

This Nong you refer to work does not work at BKK airport. And it makes no difference at all whether you're following the rules or not to upset the scowling hatchet faced hags that do work there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

I was not referring to 'bar stool philosophers'.

The venues I mentioned are bars, three of which have been there for ten years or more. Cafe racer had only been open a couple of years. All of these bars were patronised by punters of all nationalities not just the British.

The problem is that immigration has been playing fast and loose with their responsibilities in recent times, to the extent it seems like they've almost gone rogue in some circumstances. In that regard I appreciate anyone who showcases this fact with genuine experiences. Made up stories don't do anyone any favours (and are usually exposed as such very quickly) but at the same time there's a plethora of apologists out there who'll willingly cast doubt on any account of events that casts the Thais in a bad light. 

Yes ! The “Ive Never been scammed cheated abused and every Thai is good to me and my b*tch”

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You obviously do not know fully what you talk of. Oasis has been refurbished and renamed Serenity. Someone must think there is still business. 

Hasn't Cafe Racer also reopened?

There's always some optimist who thinks 'there is still business'. But it's not the Oasis any more is it. I used to frequent the place and anyone could see it was dying on its feet. The owner just gave it up as a bad job, sold up and runs a mushroom farm out in the sticks.

And the Cafe Racer's owners called it a day. Bars change hands all the time. One owner calls it a day and before you can say Tommy Robinson another clown with more money than sense or foresight steps into the breach.

Amethyst Agogo called it a day and became Gold Agogo. Then they went up the Swanee and Someone else took over the premises and Kink opened up.

The Office recently changed its name along with its owner.

Why do you think Submarine and Mash went belly up long before this financial downturn. Along with other bars whose names I've long forgotten.

Showgirls has had two owners already in just a few years.

Secrets has also gone. Walking Street gogo bars are changing hands quicker than I change my pants. There's always some clever <deleted> who thinks he'll succeed where others have failed.

How many newbies come to Thailand and dream of owning a bar and how many of them eventually slide off back to Falangland skint and with their tails between their legs.

Can you name one bar in Pattaya that you can guarantee will still be in business under its present ownership in 5 years time?

If these bars were making money they would not keep changing hands or opening up under new names. Bars all over Pattaya are closing down more so now than ever before. Look at Soi 7 and 8!

If punters are not spending money bars are bound to go tits up and that's what's happening all over Pattaya and probably in other Thai resorts as well.

The same thing is happening in the UK with our pubs. Too few customers.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

Fred, What's 'very much 555' code for?

43 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Sure. Isn't it part of the British culture? Sit in the bar and complain. Lots of fun.

No one I know travels 6000 miles to sit in a bar and complain. Most of 'em are too busy chasing crumpet.

14 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

There's always some optimist who thinks 'there is still business'.

Reselling and refurbing bars is the business to be in in Pattaya! 

Add to your list, Pig and Whistle closed, also next door, something going on, Rosie's being refurbished, I heard it was sold. 

Cafe Racer I thought was a dispute between the 2 owners, and we now have the one of the original 2.

Oasis, it has been a basket case for a bloody decade hasn't it? 

14 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Can you name one bar in Pattaya that you can guarantee will still be in business under its present ownership in 5 years time?

Pattaya Beer Garden maybe. Cherry Bar if the owner stays healthy.

I am not denying your claims, we are definitely losing the pubs and eateries. The GGBs change hands, but they are still there with new names, old girls. There have been a lot of changes in the last few months.

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Add to your list, Pig and Whistle closed, also next door, something going on, Rosie's being refurbished, I heard it was sold. 

Cafe Racer I thought was a dispute between the 2 owners, and we now have the one of the original 2.

I am not denying your claims, we are definitely losing the pubs and eateries. The GGBs change hands, but they are still there with new names, old girls. There have been a lot of changes in the last few months.

The PBG is near Walking Street which nowadays is pretty much devoid of falang punters. Can you see that lasting another five years even if the owner does.

Even the equally popular Bamboo Bar over the road does not get as much trade as it used to. The last I looked in there were plenty of empty tables. Admittedly it was in early July.

The Cherry Bar has already changed location in recent years from Soi 8. He's fond of his drink and will be lucky if his health stands up for another five years. Neither does he look too sprightly. He's also putting on weight.

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

As regards the Cafe Racer when one owner calls it a day all is not as it should be and the writing must surely be on the wall.

I'm surprised that Dolls next door is still up and running and The Office Club along the way is already said to be in trouble.

Bear in mind the rents in LKM aren't cheap.

There may come a time when would be falang speculators finally somehow get the message and realise that owning a successful bar in Pattaya is now only a pipe dream.

1 minute ago, yogi100 said:

As regards the Cafe Racer when one owner calls it a day all is not as it should be and the writing must surely be on the wall.

We are off topic here, I actually thought I was in the Pattaya Forum!

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Sorry,Pattaya is not for me. Too deprived and seedy. Good to keep this business there and spare the rest of us. 

But whether you like Pattaya or not is not the issue. What is happening in Pattaya must surely be an indication of what is happening elsewhere in the resorts and ex pat enclaves of the LOS?

We're hearing similar concerns and tales of woe from falangs in Phuket and Bangkok etc.

Things may not be much different up in the boondocks nor the villages where fewer falangs live but in the more popular resorts and larger towns and cities many falangs are beginning to feel just a little bit jittery if not decidedly unwelcome.

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

We are off topic here, I actually thought I was in the Pattaya Forum!

Do you not think that what folk see happening in Pattaya is unique to that city and not typical of the experiences of others elsewhere in Thailand.