Almost denied at Suvarnabhumi airport

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Do you not think that what folk see happening in Pattaya is unique to that city and not typical of the experiences of others elsewhere in Thailand.

It is more stark in Pattaya. But not really relevant to someone being denied entry at Swampy. 

I expect this topic will be clipped of the off-topic posts soon. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

It is more stark in Pattaya. But not really relevant to someone being denied entry at Swampy. 

I expect this topic will be clipped of the off-topic posts soon. 

They are both examples of how things in Thailand are not so rosy in the garden for expats and visitors as they used to be in the past. It's part of the over all experience.

You or a friend may have a problem with an IO at the airport and that impression of the country is compounded when you or friends have other negative experiences when you get to wherever you may be going in Thailand. In my case and that of many others that destination just happens to be Pattata.

Others are free to give their accounts of instances in Khon Khen, Samui, Surin, BKK or Phuket or anywhere else that is relevant to their experiences.

An individual may have an unpleasant episode upon arrival at the airport. First impressions count for a lot.

When he or she gets to their hotel they find the staff surly and unwelcoming.

They then finds it all more expensive than they'd hoped it would be. They also get ripped off in bars and possibly shops and restaurants.

Their reception at immigration is just part of their total holiday experience and may well result in their never ever coming back If their hosts do not nip this behaviour in the bud.

My friend got grilled at the airport upon arrival and it's made me bit concerned about any future trips to Thailand. It's a long way to come at considerable cost to fly to a country where some bad tempered IO who got out of the wrong side of the bed that morning decides to refuse you entry!

Word will get about and folk will stop coming and the people who rely on tourism such as airport workers, taxi drivers, hotel staff, bar and restaurant workers, coach drivers and vendors and so on will all suffer in the future. Don't forget ex pats use the services of these people as well, probably more so than the two week wonders ever will.

Whether or not the Thai authorities are concerned about this remains to be seen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyBKK said:

One of my friends couldn't enter and the IO asked him to buy some whisky bottles to help him "think" about his situation. He did so and he was let in. It seems like whisky is a good helper to take the right decision.

Unless you're just taking the P (I really can't tell, considering all these mind-boggling threads recently), this thing seems to be spreading like crazy. Have they figured out that extracting a payment for passage is more lucrative than getting a kickback from the detention room company?

• Sad 1

On 9/1/2019 at 12:19 PM, mockingbird said:

I know logically, why would you get a tourist visa when you can enter on a 90 day visa exemption, but the reality is that you are far more exposed to having problems with immigration on a visa exempt than a tourist visa.

which makes no ******* sense. Why have a 90 day exempt entry option at all if it makes you a possible target.

21 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

which makes no ******* sense. Why have a 90 day exempt entry option at all if it makes you a possible target.

Visa exempt is great for first time visitors. The OP was a target because of his previous travel history in Thailand. There are no requirements for visa exempt. For a proper visa he would have to meet the visa requirements with would, presumably, make him less of a target.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:42 AM, donnacha said:

Terrific, thank you.

@Farangland Was your donation roughly in the same ballpark?

A close friend had the same situation returning after a previous denial on an SETV. He started with $100us, head shake. $200us, head shake. $300us was the magic number 

He had a long history of VE, ED and TV’s

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

$300us was the magic number 

Almost 10K baht, that's shocking but what choice do we have given the cost of flights, accommodation, disruption etc?

Perfect shakedown situation, they know we all have large amounts of cash thanks to the ridiculous 20K rule.

On the bright side, it still works out cheaper than an Elite visa if you only get hit a few times per year  ????

11 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

He had a long history of VE, ED and TV’s

My worry is that, as the definition of "undesirable" continues to expand, the temptation to expand this shakedown to almost any westerner who visits more than once per year will be too much to resist. Pocketing 10K a few times per shift would be life-changing for any Thai - this is probably the only country in which someone could start as a policeman, as Thaksin did, and end up as one of the richest and most powerful men in the country.

A lot of us might end up being glad we have a "friend" we can arrange to give a mere 3.5K to instead, as it has been suggested is now happening at certain airports.

• Like 2