Almost denied at Suvarnabhumi airport

Right. Immigration could install a credit card reader, get an authorization for a 20,000 baht payment but don't capture it. This would allow them to verify that a credit card is valid and has the requisite funds available, without causing the visitor any trouble.
It was the Prime Minister who said it. In Australia only older people use cash. I have an app on my phone which shows all my account balances.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

30 minutes ago, smedly said:

so what

he obviously has the money to do so - what the hell is wrong with this country

the corruption in immigration is now well out of control

I made a mistake about the money. He had the 20,000 baht equivalent. 

Regarding the other point. Tourist visas are for tourists. I’m suggesting that it is going to be harder to convince someone you are a tourist if you’ve been coming here for nine years already and are renting a place. And that you have a landlord that knows all about you. You may be a legit tourist but you are going to look suspicious anyway.

I agree. No one should be paying bribes or have to pay a bribe. The suggestion of a bribe was given to him by his friendly landlord. Personally I would be concerned that getting caught offering a bribe would get me in more trouble. However this is Thailand. I recently had the opportunity to see bribery in action during a land purchase. So . . . I guess it happens.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gunderhill said:
10 hours ago, lkv said:

The other one on the DMK drama thread claims he's British, 32. Have you looked at his English?

As far as I'm concerned I don't  care if true or not

No question he's English, just based on his vernacular. Spelling and grammar wouldn't indicate this (people are often sloppy about these in informal contexts anyway), but calling the IO "proper rude" is the sort of thing you hear in the East End of London all the time. Almost no chance of hearing it from a non Brit. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Farangland said:

I have shown usd 700 and 5 credit cards.

He said that was not enough for my two month stay

That's around 21,000 baht so meets the 20k baht criteria.

There's no mention in the relevant immigration statute that quantifies how long that 20,000 baht is supposed to last.

I agree that KL is a much better choice for a regional tourism hub, so is Ho Chi Minh City.

But before you go, you should call the government corruption hotline to report this wallet-lightening exercise. Simultaneously start a story on it on your chosen social media presence. I think FB is still the most prevalent in Thailand. That gets a lot more traction than the government complaints hotline alone.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Martyp said:

First of all you have a long history of travel here so you should carry the 20,000 baht so that is not an issue. I'm sure you can find a way to carry it on your person safely. 

Second, it looks bad to say you are a tourist but you are renting a place to stay and have a landlady who knows all about you. It makes you look like you are living here rather than being a tourist. 

Who are you making excuses for?

I'm not sure what's surprising or unbelievable about the OP's experience. 

He entered Thailand on a visa exemption (it's irrelavent whether it's a 30 day exemption or a 90 day exemption residents from some countries can get)

It's been documented all over this forum for quite a while, that regular visitors to Thailand using visa exemptions are at an extremely high risk of getting stopped.

if the OP had arrived on a tourist visa he 'most likely' would of had no issues.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, taninthai said:

If he his a tourist why doesn’t he get a tourist visa instead of quoting he has a 3month valid visa exempt entry????????????never heard of one of them ,,maybe he so drunk when he made up story he don’t know what his even writing????????

3 month visa exempt is given to Brazil and Peru passport holders and maybe others.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Farangland said:

I have passed a very bad situation. Almost thinking on reporting it to my embassy, and on media back in my country.

I can´t get what are you adding on what you are posting.

My country and other countries, we have 3 months visa exempt entry. Not necessary to get a tourist visa.

Speaking about me being drunk without knowing me.

What you are writting down speaks more about you than about me.

The so how did you manage to stay 6 months last year then went back your country for 2 months then come back this week with a 3 month visa exempt entry and you been doing this many years .....these are your words.

7 minutes ago, Farangland said:

I have passed a very bad situation. Almost thinking on reporting it to my embassy, and on media back in my country.

I can´t get what are you adding on what you are posting.

My country and other countries, we have 3 months visa exempt entry. Not necessary to get a tourist visa.

Speaking about me being drunk without knowing me.

What you are writting down speaks more about you than about me.

I know logically, why would you get a tourist visa when you can enter on a 90 day visa exemption, but the reality is that you are far more exposed to having problems with immigration on a visa exempt than a tourist visa.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

I have many years experience in Thailand and have never been forced to leave a bribe. If you are doing things correctly there is seldom a problem, but if you are trying to game the system there could very well be problems. 

I do have to admit that my wife sent be back from our car with a box of Sees candy from the US because the staff was so nice. Its our way of saying thank you. This was after the fact and not a bribe. 

I've had many wonderful experiences with government offices over the years. Partially due speaking proper Thai and understanding the culture. Their are some that seem to be having a bad day, but I can deal with that. 

I don't go along with all the negative comments on this forum. 

Why do you have to apply for a visa at all, you are married to a Thai, then you grovel with candy for being walked all over. Ask yourself, what would Ghandi do, you make it worse for everyone licking ass.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, taninthai said:

The so how did you manage to stay 6 months last year then went back your country for 2 months then come back this week with a 3 month visa exempt entry and you been doing this many years .....these are your words.

Excuse me, but can´t you realize you are answering your own questions?

• Like 1

So you stayed last year for 3 month went home for couple of month come back for 3 month that’s your 6 month last year?..

and you want to keep doing that on visa exempt .....unfortunately yes you will have problems......although Thailand has these visa they don’t like people repeatedly using them .

the metv visa would solve most of these problems but even then you can still run into problems,,,,a huge percent of people trying to do this are actually working here and Imigration know this.

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Regarding the other point. Tourist visas are for tourists. I’m suggesting that it is going to be harder to convince someone you are a tourist if you’ve been coming here for nine years already and are renting a place. And that you have a landlord that knows all about you. You may be a legit tourist but you are going to look suspicious anyway.

suspicious of what, who gives a flying () what visa or how many holidays someone has, they come here many times and spend money - Thailand economy is dependent on it.

These officials are ruining what little good reputation Thailand had to begin with and with an abundance of social media everyone is seeing it full on, they really are losing it

It takes many things over a long time to build a good reputation but can be lost forever in an instant never to return

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, poohy said:

been a requisite for living here

This is the killer line,,,,they don’t want you living here on tourist or visa exempt,they are suspicious about these people working here,,a lot of them are working here,,,,,,this government is all about collecting more taxes ,they want you to open company ,get work ,permit ,pay tax for four Thai employees or spend 500,000 on the elite visa,,,,it’s all about getting the money in for this government.

we all know the visa system has been abused for years ,it’s coming to end now.

Edited by taninthai
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

So if I come for a 2 weeks holiday I need to carry 20.000 in cash

If it’s 1st or second entry should be ok, but if you are on 5th /6th entry they might question your motives and ask to see the cash.

• Sad 1