Do you have an exit plan?

Do you have an exit plan based on possible extension denial?  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rent out my UK home to stay Thailand - no mortgage left. I always keep in the uk bank enough money to cover the amount of time I have left on any tenant agreement.  So combined with savings and early pensions I should be OK until retention of house. Refused extension, return Uk, get house back, job done.

I think a better question would be 'Do you have a plan for your Thai family if you are forced to leave Thailand'.

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I've never quite understood those who sell up everything at home, then sink it into a country, where they are at best long term tourists, with little to no rights.

That is where I formed a bit of a compromise because I did sell up everything in New Zealand, but then invested it in corporate bonds with just a little in the sharemarket, before moving to Thailand.

My main aim was to accrue enough in the way of funds to be able to last me for the rest of my life, so I calculated the amount I would need to live on, including inflation, then calculated the interest/return on my funds and of course I had to fix an age where I thought I might depart this mortal coil, to enable the calculations to work.

For whatever reason I really couldn't see myself growing old in NZ, this especially after visiting Thailand a few times and seeing how vibrant some of the places were, and especially Patong where I now live.

I have made friends here and have a Thai daughter whom I have unofficially adopted, and still keep in touch with her mother (my ex-girlfriend--still on very good terms) who is now married and living overseas, but we both want to ensure that our daughter is cared for/looked after.

And yes, all of this palaver about TM 30, 90 day reports, money in the bank etc is worrying enough, but to top that, you never know what you are going to encounter when you visit the immigration office as moods, personnel and interpretations seem to change regularly!

Having said that, I try to put that to the back of my mind, which I do successfully the majority of times, and get on with my life here, because Thailand has so many things that I like, and also the ties that I have mentioned.

I have thought about another bolthole and have visited Vietnam, and have an open mind about that, and Siam Reap is another place I have visited, and I would like to have another look at. 

Looking further afield I would like to visit Spain (again after many years) and Portugal over the next year or so, just to see if it would be a pleasant place in which to spend my dotage, although I would miss the nightlife and vibrancy I have to say.

So, I did sell up in my home country, but still have my funds invested there and I haven't regretted that, because I did not want the hassle of maintaining a house and renting it out, not to mention the fact that doing so would affect my non-resident tax status.

Sure I am getting old in Thailand, and I have gotten into a routine which is a comfort to me as I have grown older, and this along with other things I've mentioned make me want to stay here in the main, and I would have to be terribly <deleted> off here in order to want to move elsewhere, and I'm not, so I don't/won't!

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

For the Love of God!

Another one.

It is just never ending.

Like a sickness. A disease. A paranoia.

It is a piece of subjective paper for Chris's sake!

In 16 years living here full time, i have never even seen a <deleted>' form, let alone filled one out.

The non stop ranting on here about Thais looking at me, talking about me, sneering at me, looking down at me, yada nada da bing.

It is so tiresome.

All of you disaffected, hurt, expats - stop talking about it, and just f##k off.

And leave us normal guys who still love the country and it's wonderful people, and have seen very little changes in day to day life here in peace.

Thank you.

Yeah, I had that attitude as well.  Only a presumption that your situ is fairly common, as is mine, married to Thai woman for 10+ years, live in "our" house (in her name) so she's obliged to report a farang is living in her house.  Me.  Let that concept marinade for a moment.  And then repetatively for ex-province travel, or return to "our" "home" from holidays abroad.   Ignoring it will have unpaletable consequences for both of us.

Maybe you lack empathy.  Can't bothered until a particular issue affects YOU, and only then will you understand, and approve of moaning.  Because that's all we can do, really.

Similar affliction is broadbrushing an entire country's population as "wonderful".  Because the ones in your bubble have been, as far as you know, or care to know.  Reality and others' experiences, suggest that all Thai people, like others, aren't universally wonderful. 

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think a better question would be 'Do you have a plan for your Thai family if you are forced to leave Thailand'.

Thats a really good question, which I think vexes many wanting to leave.

Many who are 'married' aren't actually in any legal sense married. 

Then there are kids, many of who may have been raised by a farang, but again without any legal basis.

Obviously taking a Thai family overseas can be traumatic. Then you are down to where do you take them? I'd venture that taking them to your home country is probably easier than moving them to a Vietnam or the like.

Taking a legal spouse is for the most part simply ticking boxes, although some have it worse than others. The Brits seem to be at the top of the onerous totem pole in that respect after reading multiple TVF threads on the subject.

But IMHO getting all that stuff ready, just in case, seems an essential part of 'Plan B' if you ask me

I was in the fortunate position of not having a Thai wife (I divorced #3 about 5 years ago), only renting a house and car, and having a highly-mobile job (online teaching).

Without all these 'strings' to tie me to Thailand, I was more open to relocation to another country if the inconvenience factor in Thailand was only at a mild level - it didn't need to reach a 'damn annoying' level for me to consider leaving.

I left Thailand only about 3 weeks ago, and have quickly settled into my new home in Luang Prabang.  This was actually my plan C location.  Plan B was going to be back in the Pyrenees, but after initial research, I realised that it would be a real effort to move back to Europe while I am still working - too many tax implications and too many boxes of personal items to move. (It was a challenge moving these to LP, let along back to EU).

My stay in Luang Prabang will hopefully be very long-term, but who knows what the future will throw at me ????

Philippines is my back-up because I would be paid my full index-linked pension, on which the index-linking stopped when I decided to live here. It also has a lower cost of living and their currency isn't as strong as the baht, hence better exchange rate. It's only a very loose plan because I have a Thai wife and stepdaughter here and I intend to cling on as long as possible. I do think though that one day in the not too distant future, the Thai authorities will make it impossible for me to remain.

21 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

For the Love of God!

Another one.

It is just never ending.

Like a sickness. A disease. A paranoia.

It is a piece of subjective paper for Chris's sake!

In 16 years living here full time, i have never even seen a <deleted>' form, let alone filled one out.

The non stop ranting on here about Thais looking at me, talking about me, sneering at me, looking down at me, yada nada da bing.

It is so tiresome.

All of you disaffected, hurt, expats - stop talking about it, and just f##k off.

And leave us normal guys who still love the country and it's wonderful people, and have seen very little changes in day to day life here in peace.

Thank you.

Thank you! I've got a similar feeling, can't hear the whining anymore.

I'm in my mid 50's and still work. We own our condo in Bangkok, so living expenses are low and we have substantial savings. However I cannot contemplate the thought of retiring full time in Thailand. I'm in the early stages of planning a retirement in Portugal or Spain, just need to take my wife there to see where my wife prefers to be based. I will probably sell the Bangkok Condo and buy somewhere in Prachuap Kiri Khan because I like it there. But it will be a holiday home, not a permanent base. We have probably spent 50% of the last 7 years in Bangkok. As I said to my wife, if it weren't for the fact that she loves the place I would have walked years ago. I've traveled extensively and I know that there are better places for me. Each to their own, to the people that love Thailand, good for you.

I like riding motorbikes and I see Spain as much more safe and pleasant to spend a day touring.

My wife like travel, enjoys being out of Thailand so I think we can manage a European retirement. 

Working on my exit plan. I do have a good business here, but with a little tweak I will be able to do it from anywhere. 

The plan is to retire in my home country with the money generated from my business here. Funny, usually it would be the other way around. Haha

If I can spend the summer there and the winter here, that would be perfect. 

16 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Yeah, I had that attitude as well.  Only a presumption that your situ is fairly common, as is mine, married to Thai woman for 10+ years, live in "our" house (in her name) so she's obliged to report a farang is living in her house.  Me.  Let that concept marinade for a moment.  And then repetatively for ex-province travel, or return to "our" "home" from holidays abroad.   Ignoring it will have unpaletable consequences for both of us.

No.

My missus is not obliged to report me.

I have never seen a TM30 form, neither has she.

She knows nothing about it.

Neither do the local coppers who are not remotely interested in a TM30.

Then we've got the local 90 day reporters at the main immigration office in this province; nobody in the office is interested in the TM30 filled out at your home address or if you nip 3 provinces away for a long weekend hols.

It seems an over exagerated paranoid mess that obviously has implications in the tourist ghettos.

Us expats living in Bumf##k, Nakon Nowhere don't seem to be having the problem.

Plan already decided and implemented.

now dividing time between Spain and Thailand.

I have owned a home in Spain for many years, and kept it because it is madness to sever all ties with your previous life.

How much time I decide to spend in each country?  

That depends on my mood.

Freedom is a great thing.

It would be wise for all foreigners to have an exit plan from Thailand, that can be exercised on short notice.

There are unmentionable factors which are causing the government to restructure/enforce foreigners permissions entering Thailand. Additionally, Bank of Thailand has massive reserves as at July 2019 USD$209 Billion.

Foreigners provide more than 20% of GDP, tourism alone contributes 20% to GDP. Thailand doesn't need more foreign reserves. Thailand can afford to be more selective about the type of people they let into the country.

indicators.pdf

21 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

•  
  • RoadWarrior371
  • Members
  • 212 posts
  21 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

keep on leaving guys leaves more women for me.

Ha ha, C'mon man, that's just rubbin' shrimp paste in their wounds.  However, I do think you are onto something.....  ????

YITB1980 and thaiguzzi reacted to this

real men don't buy girls.jpg

27 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Why do we keep getting these silly questions ? 30 years plus here, no intention or need to leave. Thailand is a nice country to live in. 

+ 1. Even when we sometimes do not agree with certain rules and regulations, please have a look at other countries.

Not even 20 buffaloes could bring me to the Philippines, I believe that people are not aware how poor the country is and how difficult it can be to settle down there.

Not even talking about their food now. 

3 minutes ago, Longcut said:
  •  
  • RoadWarrior371
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Ha ha, C'mon man, that's just rubbin' shrimp paste in their wounds.  However, I do think you are onto something.....  ????

You can't buy the love of a girl/ woman, nor can you buy a friend. 

What's a real man by your definition? 

7 minutes ago, Longcut said:
  •  
  • RoadWarrior371
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Of course, if you look like Ashton Kutcher you don't need to buy girls. If you're an overweight old fart, you might rethink that statement. 5555

16 minutes ago, Longcut said:
  •  
  • RoadWarrior371
  • Members
  • 212 posts

All men buy girls. The price tag on the non-professionals is simply well-concealed.

It would be wise for all foreigners to have an exit plan from Thailand, that can be exercised on short notice.

I don't think that advice is unique for Thailand.  I'd advise any expat living in any country to always have a plan B.  Things can always go tits up, such as new visa/financial rules, civil unrest, economy gone bad, exchange rate woes, crazy ex trying to kill you etc etc.

18 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Foreigners provide more than 20% of GDP, tourism alone contributes 20% to GDP.

Horse<deleted>.

Another typical expat statement in self worth.

Its never been 20%.

"We are so important, without us, this place would go down the pan"....

Pathetic.

On 9/1/2019 at 7:27 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Perhaps I can shed some light on why some people do sell up everything at home, then sink into another country.

In my situation, the property market in Sydney was on the up for 5 years straight, i.e. in late 2012 to mid 2017.

In mid 2013 I purchased an investment property in the hope of making 10% over the next 2 years before we moved to Thailand. I rented it for 12 months as planned, but when I saw the market taking off, I said we have to move into this one to minimise the Capital Gains Tax payable, so we gave the tenant notice, then renovated it before we moved in so I could claim the Capital Expenditure costs when I later sold it, and as there was no point in holding onto our principal place of residence we sold it to avoid any Capital Gains Tax as well, as we knew we were moving to Thailand in 2015, and did just that. 

I sold the property that we originally purchased as investment property, later moving in, in mid 2016, the 10% increase I was looking for ended up being 65% from 2013 to 2016, so it was a good idea to move into it 12 months after purchasing it which did minimise out Capital Gains Tax liabilities, you see under Australian Taxation Laws, if you reside overseas for more than 183 days in any financial year (one of 3 criteria) you can be classed as a non-resident for tax purposes, and in my case it's cut and dry, have kids going to school here, meaning as a non resident you get taxed from the 1st $ you make in Australia with no threshold, which normally applies to Australian residence, i.e. they get the 1st $18,200 tax free, so I would have been paying 32.5c in every $ earned from the rent, add further Capital Gains Tax on the property if it increased in value from the time I left the country with no CGT 50% threshold, & higher land tax for foreign residents, now add agents fees, reletting fees, tenancy insurance, house insurance, water and council rates and throw in any vacancy factor, reletting fee, usually a weeks rent for 6 months, or 2 for 12 months, and of course any maintenance/repairs and you would be at a 50/50 split not including any potential Capital Gains Tax increase, losing out on that 50% threshold as a non residence. 

That is why I didn't hold onto my place, now that said, I could pick it up today for $150,000 AUD less as the market started to tank late 2017 and to this day is still going south. I still have the funds from the sale and invested that in the Australian Stock Market purchasing fully franked stocks which provide me with a dividend (tax paid), returning around 6% per annum and when there is an opportunity with Trump spooking the markets, I buy and sell stocks which are also tax and Capital Gains Tax free as I am a non resident, the above said, I am averaging around 1% per month on my investment, or 12% per annum tax free, I also have about 33% in the banks which earn very little, and pay 10% withholding tax on any interest earned, that's my fall back position, the above said, even with the AUD going down to the Baht, I reckon I am still on a good wicket.

Everyone's situations vary, depending on how the government treats you when you want to live overseas, ours will make you pay the price if you own property in Australia, i.e. they don't want non residents owning property in Oz, if you do, you cop it up the rear, regardless if your a Citizen, you lose your voting rights, and Medicare cover, but on the other hand, won't tax you if you invest your money into the Australian Stock Market buying fully franked shares, because the tax is already taken out of them when they pay you your dividend, hypocritical if you ask me, but it is what it is and that might make you understand why some do sell up. 

With regard to Plan B, it's a matter of booking tickets for the family who all have Citizenship and we are away, have money will travel as the saying goes ????

As for the property we built here which cost 1/10th of what it would of cost to build back in Oz, easily locked up, family and neighbours would keep an eye on it for when and if we decided to return for a holiday, provided we didn't have a sour taste in our mouths, otherwise I would probably sell it on the cheap, 50% loss, and the loss wouldn't bother me, as it's been a rent free situation here all the way.

Also in your situation, if you buy stocks on nasdaq via your oz bank trading account this is tax free. I made a lot of money doing this in the 10 yr bull market. Bigger than 1% a month... add a few zeros

By the way if you believe what you read in this tabloid paper the market is rising now:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/sydney-and-melbourne-house-values-rocket-on-lower-rates-20190902-p52mza.html

No exit plan and no plans to ever leave.  My Thai partner and I have a great life here in Pattaya.  With all the moaning and groaning about all the so-called changes at Immigration, the only change for me is I have to report my 800,000 baht as still being in my account for 3 months after I do my extension.  Nine years here and that's the only change.  Do I like reporting every 3 months?  No.  But, with any place you weigh the pros and the cons and the pros far outweigh the cons for us.

19 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

Also in your situation, if you buy stocks on nasdaq via your oz bank trading account this is tax free. I made a lot of money doing this in the 10 yr bull market. 

By the way if you believe what you read in this tabloid paper the market is rising now:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/sydney-and-melbourne-house-values-rocket-on-lower-rates-20190902-p52mza.html

Yes I just read that auction clearance rates are up 80% from another source, that said the Reserve Banks meets tomorrow and I can't them lowering interest rates again, if the above is true, which I doubt, the RBA will instruct APRA to re-adjust the screws on the banks, but cannot see them dropping rates again this year IMHO, and any increase in the market will be short lived.

It isn't the TM30 that is the threat. The threat is needing to get a new visa every three months as they increasing ban the issue of multi-entry visa for those married to a Thai. Already, only HCM and Savannakhet issue multi-entry in the region, and as on-line only applications are increasingly rolled out the option for a multi-entry isn't available. Paris and London have already gone down that path, and it is only a matter of time before no-one is allowed to remain in Thailand for more than 90 days without applying for another visa or a few weeks added with an extension.

THAT is the threat, not reporting where you are staying. It would be useful if those protesting picked the right battle to fight.

On 9/1/2019 at 3:16 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

I will return to london  to my place, (having given my tenant notice) for a summer and autum then look elsewhere maybe west africa or the balkans...or look at a 6 month a year in LOS and 6 months elsewhere. London is brilliant in the good weather. But the P4P scene is dire. The Balkans is excellent and just opening up. Spain is nearly as much fun as Thailand but no sociable P4P and is unsafe compared to ultra safe Thailand.7

You'd base your entire life around the availability of prostitutes?

Archived