No more flaunting of "red plate" licence laws, says DLT chief

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, BestB said:

You know thai love to show off. And I can not help but wonder if the whole red plate saga was created especially to make one feel “special “ with red plates allowing them to show off they just bought a car.

Surely registering car and a plate should not take more than a few hours if that.

saying that, why they keep making such a farce about red plates? Car is registered , tax is paid , so why all

the brown books bs, no driving after 6pm and all that <deleted> 

Car is registered to the dealer - only by mean of the red plate. The annual road tax isn't paid until you receive a permanent plate.

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

Does anybody know any dealer who actually registers the vehicle with a week?

The fastest i've seen were two weeks, but just because i pressured it.

Especially Honda motorbike shops will usually tell people 90 days.

agree and would think the DLT would make extra (more) money checking the motorbikes as well, seen some motorbikes with red plates for over 2 years

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Car is registered to the dealer - only by mean of the red plate. The annual road tax isn't paid until you receive a permanent plate.

Correct, and when they decide to resell the car it will look brand new in the papers because it was never registered.. ????

In my condo there are a few cars (German variety in general) that have red plates for more than 5 years now.

2 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Correct, and when they decide to resell the car it will look brand new in the papers because it was never registered.. ????

In my condo there are a few cars (German variety in general) that have red plates for more than 5 years now.

Lots of face there.....

11 minutes ago, BestB said:
15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

But all of that has nothing to do with the buyer . 

I didn't say it had.

5 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Thailand is in a Parallel World, not the Civilised World !

Actually it forked out from a split in the spacetime continuum. The event occured post-war WWW II when the USA decided not to punish Thailand for its actions during the war. ????

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

This is like the TM30....don't bother fine the owner of the property as the law defines, but fine the user. This us the dealers who want to keep your registration money for as long as possible.

That said....this is hardly a major problem on our roads. Why not focus something to get the death toll on the roads down a bit????

How difficult is it to prioritise road deaths over all the other junk that is not enforced.....if it kills people its important...get it????

That is easy solved. Skip the cars and the motobikes, just give people the red plate.

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

About three years ago, I bought a new car South of Chiang Mai.  I picked this up, complete with red plates and drove back to Chiang Mai.    

I'd hardly driven for half an hour when i was flagged down by a policeman, and he fined me 100baht for "driving out of the province with a red plate."

I learned later that one is not even supposed to drive a car with a red plate at night!  No doubt there are other restrictions as well.   

It took about a month to get the papers allowing me to obtain the standard white plates.

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

Some dealers wait until they have a lot to do and do it once in a while. Some other dealership send the paperwork to their head office in Bangkok. A friend bought a Isuzu pickup in Sisaket and after 2-3 month go the truck  registered with Bangkok plate by a dealership  of Isuzu in Bangkok. Would not be an acceptable delay in most countries

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the dealer cannot process the plates until he has paid the manufacturer in full for the vehicle. Fine if the dealer has already paid the manufacturer, or pays him the day after you (or your finance company) pay the dealer. But, if as often happens, the dealer is in arrears with his payments, you may have quite a wait.

21 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
11 hours ago, webfact said:

People flouting the 30 day law will face fines of 10,000 baht, he said

Got a Ford Everest where I live that's been on Red plates all this year ?

I bet they'll never get to the top of that one, must be summit wrong?

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

As always, Udon Thani's LTO's are streets ahead of the rest of the nation and have abolished red plates already.

Just got a new car in Buriram and really do not see the point of red plates; even worse is recording every journey in the brown book AND the fact that you can only travel between 06:00 and 18:00 hrs.   Pointless !

It's the transport department he needs to sort out, some years ago I had my back plate stolen it took me 6 months to get a new one 

I lost the rear plate on my motorbike, I made a police report the next day and then went to LTO and presented the police report and they processed the paperwork and gave me a receipt which was valid for 4 weeks in case I was stopped for not having a number plate
The next weekend I was on a bike trip and was stopped at a checkpoint
Police at the stop were very polite when I presented the receipt from LTO and waved me on
Received a txt message after 3 weeks from the LTO to inform me my replacement plate was ready to collect
Went to the LTO next day to collect it exactly 3 weeks from filing the first report
I was told that it would possibly take 4 weeks and if they didn’t contact me I could return and get another 4 week “pass” if needed but had the new plate after 3 weeks
Very efficient service, the police and the LTO staff that I dealt with were very helpful and polite as was I
Cost: 20 baht to file police report, and I think 120 baht for the new plate
This was all achieved with out any input from a Thai gf or any extra monies changing hands
This was the police station at Samrong and the LTO at Bang Po in Samutprakan
My Thai language skills are not that good but it worked out ok for me
Apologies for a rather long post but I read many posts here on TV where there is an element of Thai bashing so I just want to share with you all my positive experience dealing with Thai officialdom and to show that not all Thais are rogues or scammers nor are most of us expats, mongers, on the run criminals or pedophiles
Rant over!

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Pheeraphon said that if everything is in order after the purchase of a vehicle the permanent plates can be obtained within a day. 

Theyre  so thick its  incredible, why not  just buy a  car WITH  the plates  it  will keep for its  life.

I don't buy a  car in the UK with a temporary  plate.

I've done it more than once within 30 minutes at Morchit; simple, straight forward, no issues - if the paperwork is complete and ALL car vendors know what the deal is all about.

In most cases it is either:
- the owner showing off that (s)he can afford a new (though mostly unpaid) car and has to keep up with the Joneses
- OR -
the car dealers, some being known for keeping the red plates on the vehicle for more than six months despite the (foreign) car owners complaints. Latter mostly as they get fined when leaving the province, drive around (with red plates) and without the brown book, the problems with a voluntary additional insurance or the law prohibiting driving at night.

Initially those plates were meant to be able to circulate non-/not-yet-registered vehicles between distributors and dealers, workshops etc.  

22 hours ago, transam said:

If the dealer hasn't sorted the plates by the 30-day limit, you go to LTO and tell them, ask for a waiver form to show the police as it is not your fault...

I notice member Mavideol was "confused" with my above advice, what do you find confusing, can I help...?

I drove with red plates from February until the middle of December several years ago. I was waiting on a four digit number coming up. Nothing fancy and totally meaningless to 99.9999% of the population (unless you are from Glasgow). Nothing to do with 'look at my new car'. Never had a log book to fill out. Used it at all times of the day and left the province on several occasions.

I also know of someone who never gave his red plates back, still in his boot six or seven years later.

1 minute ago, a10ams said:

I drove with red plates from February until the middle of December several years ago. I was waiting on a four digit number coming up. Nothing fancy and totally meaningless to 99.9999% of the population (unless you are from Glasgow). Nothing to do with 'look at my new car'. Never had a log book to fill out. Used it at all times of the day and left the province on several occasions.

I also know of someone who never gave his red plates back, still in his boot six or seven years later.

If you're from Glasgow a good four-digit number might 0141.

The dealer usually charges a deposit of around 3,000 Baht for the red plates, refundable when they are returned.

13 minutes ago, a10ams said:

He lost about 3,000bht then..

8 hours ago, transam said:

I notice member Mavideol was "confused" with my above advice, what do you find confusing, can I help...?

I am confused because LTO doesn't care about people's complain, it happen to me no later than last July thus your comment may apply to your specific area but not to all areas, my right to be surprised, sorry if you didn't like that emoji

Archived