No more flaunting of "red plate" licence laws, says DLT chief

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

next thing they will enforce driving on the left.  but that encompasses folks "driving" their car.... while playing with their "smart" phones and might have to look up occasionally for motorcycles.  fat chance of that so we can guess that one won't be enforced.  

no matter how often they lecture to drive on the left.  but you'd have to watch the traffic then.

and also teach everyone to not make U turns at controlled intersections.  notwithstanding that U turns are quite dangerous no matter where they are done.  in fact, especially well faraway from any intersection from what I can tell.  but hey, that's just me.  someone who has never had a serious "accident" in any kind of vehicle in 63 years and have done tons of driving just about everything with wheels.   

2 hours ago, 2long said:

10,000B is not nearly enough of a deterrent for those who spend millions on cars and are waiting for a special plate. When we bought our car I couldn't wait to get our regular plates fitted.

So if you run a red light whilst pi..ed, at speed with red plates...... how much fine?

This is like the TM30....don't bother fine the owner of the property as the law defines, but fine the user. This us the dealers who want to keep your registration money for as long as possible.

That said....this is hardly a major problem on our roads. Why not focus something to get the death toll on the roads down a bit????

How difficult is it to prioritise road deaths over all the other junk that is not enforced.....if it kills people its important...get it????

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So if you run a red light whilst pi..ed, at speed with red plates...... how much fine?

Nothing if the camera catches your red plate as it's not actually registered to you, also pretty safe bet the dealership won't have filled out the logbook to state that it's on your car. 

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

How about just having the cars pre-registered when people pick them up the showroom like the rest of the civilized world does? 

I remember in Germany I went and registered a used car, after getting papers walked to next door license plate shop where they pressed new plates for me, I waited for some time for the paint to dry and off I went bolting them on the car, done and dusted. Ain't rocket science.

3 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

would seem whoever wrote the headline does not understand the difference between flaunt and flout.

the actual writer it seems did.

well... both words have their respective place, albeit somewhere in different places in the story... 

- flaunt - is in the eyes of the beholder

- flout - is in the eye of the Law

It took over 3 months to get the plates for our car.  But the wife wanted certain numbers on the plate.  So we had to wait for those numbers to come up.  I believe Bangkok is the only Jungwat that does this.  This was not for numbers that are auctioned.

With my last two cars and last two motorcycles I processed the application for a number plate myself...  Its a simple enough process and ensured I had plates on my vehicles within about 3 weeks, I could also chose my own number (within reason, not the pretty ones).

The dealerships wait and process a load of plates at the same time, which could be next month or the month after, depending on when they want to go through the process... It's just simpler to get it done yourself. 

That said - the threat to crack down on red plates is a common one. 

I'm not sure why the system cannot be simplified with registering the cars on the day they are purchased and leave the garage - there is no need for this red plate rubbish at all.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

With my last two cars and last two motorcycles I processed the application for a number plate myself...  Its a simple enough process and ensured I had plates on my vehicles within about 3 weeks, I could also chose my own number (within reason, not the pretty ones).

The dealerships wait and process a load of plates at the same time, which could be next month or the month after, depending on when they want to go through the process... It's just simpler to get it done yourself. 

That said - the threat to crack down on red plates is a common one. 

I'm not sure why the system cannot be simplified with registering the cars on the day they are purchased and leave the garage - there is no need for this red plate rubbish at all.

You know thai love to show off. And I can not help but wonder if the whole red plate saga was created especially to make one feel “special “ with red plates allowing them to show off they just bought a car.

Surely registering car and a plate should not take more than a few hours if that.

saying that, why they keep making such a farce about red plates? Car is registered , tax is paid , so why all

the brown books bs, no driving after 6pm and all that <deleted> 

Archived