Three Brits Kicked Out of Thailand

9 minutes ago, Andy25 said:

Thank you for that reply which might be true in many cases. I'm not sure if it is with this case.

The question now is how to challenge? How to question what happened?

Good luck with that one.

I couldn't help you there, a;though he could probably seeking that information through the Thai Consular General ?

2 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I think if you have been here a long time on work permits and a retirement visa you pretty much cannot use tourist visa exempt to leave/re-enter the country. It doesn't matter if it makes sense. You need to plan your next steps more carefully.

Agreed. He should have planned more carefully. But now it's all about making a challenge! Surely authority can be challenged sometimes? Has anyone tried?

2 hours ago, Andy25 said:

CASE TWO: HE’S ON THE RUN

Case two shot someone in the UK and fled to Thailand. The British police contacted their counterparts in Thailand who picked him up. He’d slipped in the country at some remote border but he’d now overstayed as well. Seems like a fair cop?

How is this possible?  You don't have guns over there.  How could he possibly get one?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Andy25 said:

Agreed. He should have planned more carefully. But now it's all about making a challenge! Surely authority can be challenged sometimes? Has anyone tried?

Why would you challenge the decision to deny entry if he there is a clear path to return?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Nonsense comment about drunks. Its not a muslin state. Drinking is not is not a crime and people dont get thrown out for drinking. Being drunk is not a crime. Where do you get your ideas from? They are clearly wrong. Why do respond to such a thread with irrelevant comments about drinking. Its absurd and misleading. If you dont like drinking or people getting drunk then Thailand is not gor you. 

So drinking is a big thing for you!!! I dont mind drinking, but I have seen too much of that sort and english/irish is in the clear lead there, and many of those guys are just trash and nothing else... This is my opinion based on experience..... So behave or else I will include you as well, 5555

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

17 minutes ago, Martyp said:

It doesn't matter if it makes sense. You need to plan your next steps more carefully.

This is why people are getting caught out - it's almost as if the system is designed to cause maximum destruction to people who've been living here for years.

Most people have literally no idea at all about the ever changing whims of immigration and what's being enforced / not being enforced.

With the pound now worth 36 and a bit baht, and soon to be worth under 30 baht (probably even 25 baht) with a no-deal Brexit, why would any Brit in his right mind want to remain living in Thailand? No, wait, I remember now. Most of them aren't in their right mind.

• Haha 2

It's all "tit for tat"...lex talionis....as many western nations harass foreigners with the Schengen Visa, US Visa, UK visas.....it is not uncommon for the former to plainly refuse visa with on no valid grounds for citizens from eastern nations...so at one point everybody want's to get even....actually we should be ranting at the western nations and not at the Thai's.....in diplomacy, all this is called "Foreign Policy"....

Edited by observer90210

10 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This is why people are getting caught out - it's almost as if the system is designed to cause maximum destruction to people who've been living here for years.

Most people have literally no idea at all about the ever changing whims of immigration and what's being enforced / not being enforced.

My first year here I had no idea about online visa forums. Didn't know there was more to know about my visa or visas in general. I got lucky. I haven't encountered any adversity from the Immigration system or recent changes but I can see how it could catch people by surprise. Particularly if you've been here 10 or 20 years and are confident you know how to it works.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

It's all "tit for tat"...lex talionis....as many western nations harass foreigners with the Schengen Visa, US Visa, UK visas.....it is not uncommon for the former to plainly refuse visa with on no valid grounds for citizens from eastern nations...so at one point everybody want's to get even....actually we should be ranting at the western nations and not at the Thai's.....in diplomacy, all this is called "Foreign Policy"....

You are correct that western countries can also be harsh and arbitrary. I have little doubt I could move to the US with my thai wife but she cannot travel there with me on a vacation for a couple of weeks. She is assumed guilty of wanting to stay beyond a visa, take a job from Americans, or leach off the welfare system. Sound familiar? Not unlike some of the things Thai IO's accuse entering westerners.

44 minutes ago, Andy25 said:

Yes, the best way would have been to put $100 bill in his passport, to help the officer make a decision.  They can think better this way.

Forgot any other kind of challenge ...Thais all stick together and will reinforce the wrong decisions against us, same like the pack beating, and just enjoy it ...that is what I have seen, they don’t even have their ears open, their listening brain is closed ...you can tell that after some years here, they are only prepared to say no ...I just walk off when I see it happening.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

The problem with this and similar post, is that we only have what the author writes. This undoubtedly is not the whole story. He didn't do things correctly and got caught. If he wants to come he must change his way. He's to blame for this, but I wouldn't say he's bad just naive. 

Of course the problem is in the system in which one can choose a tourist visa
Or a visa / extention for married people with kids..
Which are basically also tourist visas ...only more expensive

42 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I think this is true.  I have left Thailand now and my visa has lapsed.  If I were to visit for some reason, the appropriate visa for me to use would be a tourist visa, or VOA and I might risk getting kicked out?  That seems not to make sense, if you have followed all the past terms of your visas, which I did, and now am doing something else ...why would they want to reject me?

It makes sense that some person after many work permits would want to come in on a tourist visa because you have to get out immediately when those finish and maybe you want to vacation then go home?  Or just have time to clear out? 

You might go home to your country and take care of your sick parents for a few years and want to visit here on tourist visas during that time ....oh well, go to detention??  

You could just be having a year a year from hell, getting divorced, depressed, various problems going on and disorganized and need some slack for a year, after such a long time, who else would deserve some breaks?  Oh some newbie or this guy ....just give the a-hole $100 and watch your problems disappear.

Think of this like India now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am sympathetic for his experience which I do not see as being good for anyone, including Thailand and his Thai dependants. What he did wrong was trying to enter visa exempt. Immigration is within its rights to deny visa exempt entry, especially when used as a means of staying long periods in Thailand. With a Thai wife and kids, he could and should have used Non O visas to enter Thailand.

Is this a situation, which i've come across many times over 3+ decades, of a farang who could have got a visa linked to wife and kids in Thailand, but there's the attitude of 'nobody tells me what to do, I make my own plans' and the farang gets into some silly arrangement / decisions involving totally unneeded border runs, overstay etc.  

2 hours ago, Andy25 said:

Correct- But switching between Work Permits and Retirement Visas take time.

Funds were never an issue. Proof of relationship never an issue.

Immigration just said they didn't care about that.

Andy25, serious question here..

Of course I think its wrong and people shouldn't have to continuously prove funds available every year of life with family in Thailand. But those are the rules we have to abide by right now so I ask this..

If funds were no object and proof of relationship never an issue then why don't you simply apply for a Non-O and extend it based on marriage?

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Andy25, serious question here..

If funds were no object and proof of relationship never an issue then why don't you simply apply for a Non-O and extend it based on marriage?

I suspect it's because there's an option to enter the country without a visa - this seems to have been revoked for people who've spent plenty of time here but not everybody is going to be aware of that.

Visa free travel is much better than having to get a visa every time. I actively avoid going to places that require visas to be arranged in advance, especially if it involves going to an embassy, so I will exclude e-visas from this - I don't mind paying for one of them - it's convenient.

• Like 2

Too lol. Kicked out of the country, blacklisted!

Damn, I swear I'm never going back!

Yeah, ya think?

Thailand is happy without you. A decision was made against you. Move on. Sheeesh.

Painfully obvious why we ALL must prove funds - because so many cheats and liars.

Edited by Number 6
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martyp said:

I think if you have been here a long time on work permits and a retirement visa you pretty much cannot use tourist visa exempt to leave/re-enter the country. It doesn't matter if it makes sense. You need to plan your next steps more carefully.

Well the IO should be prepared for a flood of people canceling their retirement extensions and coming back on a variety of tourist visas.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Well the IO should be prepared for a flood of people canceling their retirement extensions and coming back on a variety of tourist visas.

Thailand doesn't HAVE to plan anything. If your life is in chaos that's your problem. When have you met an empathic immigration officer? The policies make little sense. You stay under Thai terms not yours.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andy25 said:

I think the point of this post is time. When you move between Tourist Visas, Work Permits, Retirement Visas, and back again, the process takes time. Case three was just about to go back to a retirement visa but immigration were not interested in this history of this case. They didn't want to listen.

So he had a visa when he tried to enter ?

That is what people who want to move to an extension do..... they get a visa first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glegolo said:

I dont think that lawbiding people are getting throwned out of Thailand but drunks, overstayers criminals on one or another way they are throwned out fortunately...

So no problem for me..... This seems to be lowclass people anyhow....

Case 1 - overstayed dont understand why you mention this one at all....

Case 2 - criminal     "        "           "               "                "

Case 3 - no comments dont know and cant guess...

glegolo

You are living in your own dream world.

The American lady who works in immigration as a volunteer in Phuket says that they don't want us here.....they think they are better than us. She says she will be leaving pretty soon. Basically she was helping my friend get his work/marriage extension. They refused to accept his SS income for marriage, but she pointed out they accepted hers. He ended up going into Myannmar to get a new  visa. He was told to return on the 3rd today.....the IO said, "No, you needed to return a week ago so it was complete on the 3rd."

My friend said, "But you told me to return today." IO, "Oh sorry."

Now he has to fly to Cambodia and start all over again.

i know many of these people are not very bright.....but this is ridiculous.

in my opinion all the fuss about the TM30 was directed at the wrong thing....it should have been focused on the mish mash of the rules in every different Immigration Office.....and especially Phuket where they make them up themselves.

These IO's are not very bright because if they drive farang out of the country they will eventually no longer have a job. 

• Like 2

I don't know if this is just a game or based on real life cases.

But case 3 is troubling for me because he has a wife and 3 kids in Thailand, and is basically muddling through, which is often the way when kids arrive.

When taken as a family unit they are in fact stateless!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mansell said:

You are living in your own dream world.

The American lady who works in immigration as a volunteer in Phuket says that they don't want us here.....they think they are better than us. She says she will be leaving pretty soon. Basically she was helping my friend get his work/marriage extension. They refused to accept his SS income for marriage, but she pointed out they accepted hers. He ended up going into Myannmar to get a new  visa. He was told to return on the 3rd today.....the IO said, "No, you needed to return a week ago so it was complete on the 3rd."

My friend said, "But you told me to return today." IO, "Oh sorry."

Now he has to fly to Cambodia and start all over again.

i know many of these people are not very bright.....but this is ridiculous.

in my opinion all the fuss about the TM30 was directed at the wrong thing....it should have been focused on the mish mash of the rules in every different Immigration Office.....and especially Phuket where they make them up themselves.

These IO's are not very bright because if they drive farang out of the country they will eventually no longer have a job. 

A swallow doesn´t make a summer. An exception doesn´t make anything true...

glegolo