Three Brits Kicked Out of Thailand

5 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Number 3 had been here long enough to set himself up pretty good, why in the last years of his life has it all fallen apart. He should have been able to transition into a marriage visa with the money in the bank. Why should immigration care about your history when you are now out of compliance, there are plenty of people coming into Thailand who have their ducks in a roe, no need to waste time on people who cannot get it together. A someone mentioned earlier more to his history than the good guy account in the OP.

Good luck to all three in there new careers

Getting ducks all lined up was his plan. The good guy thing? Well checks have been made to see if there were any black marks against him. The answer came up blank. Nothing on the computer, until now, against  him.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andy25 said:

Correct- But switching between Work Permits and Retirement Visas take time.

Not in my experience, its a quick process changing from work visa to retirement visa, changing from retirement to work visa takes time!

• Like 1

I shot the sheriff but I didn't shoot the deputy.

Sorry, but Thailand was a paradise for all sorts of criminals and I'm not talking about pot users now. 

The one came in but did didn't do anything wrong? How did he make his money then? Teaching without a work permit and visa?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

He was hoping for another Visa Exempt Entry, which is purely for tourism purposes. He is clearly not a tourist. If a Thai tried to do that to the UK, well he would not be able to get on the plane. The Embassy would be of no assistance. What is the point of this post?

bang on, get a visa as they've got good cause to have one, visa exempt entry is for short term tourists ONLY, or should be considered as that. the point of the post ? sob story, nothing more.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Andy25 said:

Well he took the advice of a local agent who's been in the business for more than 20 years.

should have asked on TV first, most replies would have been sensible, and saved a bit of dough, and headache, and risk of black mark in the PP.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I shot the sheriff but I didn't shoot the deputy.

Sorry, but Thailand was a paradise for all sorts of criminals and I'm not talking about pot users now. 

The one came in but did didn't do anything wrong? How did he make his money then? Teaching without a work permit and visa?

No. He never taught English. He worked for one of the biggest multinational companies in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Andy25 said:

I think the point of this post is time. When you move between Tourist Visas, Work Permits, Retirement Visas, and back again, the process takes time. Case three was just about to go back to a retirement visa but immigration were not interested in this history of this case. They didn't want to listen.

What I am reading in this is that he had no money, hence the reasons he went back and forth with visas, don ehis dash sorry to say, Thailand has its immigration rules, 1,000 pounds in his wallet, obviously got that from abroad, but what money has he here to survive, especially if he was about to go back to a retirement visa ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Martyp said:

As far as the bigger picture is concerned, there is nothing you are “going to do about it”. Case #3 was denied entry because he didn’t have the proper visa or permission to stay for his purpose in Thailand. Being held in a holding cell and flown back to the country of origin, while unpleasant, is standard procedure. 

His past history of work, family, and taxes are irrelevant. He has been in Thailand long enough to know how to navigate the Immigration system. The crackdown on people abusing the visa system has been going on well over a year. It’s possible it caught him by surprise and that is unfortunate. He wasn’t blacklisted. He can come back if gets a proper visa. He may be upset but if he has a family here then you would think that would weigh heavily on his decision to return or not.

I’m not sure what you mean by “it takes time” to get the proper visa. Whether it is days or weeks, so what? He has a family and roots here. If he knew the proper thing to do and just didn’t do it because of the time involved then that is on him. It sounds like he just got complacent. OK that can happen but he still has a family here. Maybe he just needs some time in the UK to calm down. He can better weigh life in the UK with Thailand or other countries. His family in Thailand needs to decide what they are willing to do.

This is not the case that is going to overturn the Thai immigration system. 

I wish him well. Keep us updated.

Also, cases #1 and #2 are irrelevant and add no perspective. 

Thank you for that Martyn. Will keep you updated.

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

What I am reading in this is that he had no money, hence the reasons he went back and forth with visas, don ehis dash sorry to say, Thailand has its immigration rules, 1,000 pounds in his wallet, obviously got that from abroad, but what money has he here to survive, especially if he was about to go back to a retirement visa ?

For the record the 1,000 pounds came from Thailand. He arranged for that to be sent to him by Western Union when check in staff advised him he would need to show that in his pocket on arrival. In Thailand he has his bank account and his car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For case 3

He could have got a Non-O visa from a neighboring country that does not require financial proof. It is little strange they won't allow him on a visa exempt. It does not sound right to me. There is more to the story or it seems the OP just made it up for bashing Thailand's immigration. His post sounds like a person trying assert his privilege and rights to stay in a foreign country. From the the all the posts here my conclusion is they deny entries to people who are trying to stay in Thailand on Tourist visas or visa exempt. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Andy25 said:

Hating Thailand is not an issue but what i am looking for is people who have found themselves in the same position as case three and what they did about it? If everybody just turns a blind eye to these situations what will it be like in ten years? Something is not right and needs to be checked.

He should have come with a proper visa. That is the part which isn't right.

4 minutes ago, Andy25 said:

For the record the 1,000 pounds came from Thailand. He arranged for that to be sent to him by Western Union when check in staff advised him he would need to show that in his pocket on arrival. In Thailand he has his bank account and his car.

You haven't provided any reasons for him going back and forth on retirement extension, tourist visa, etc, etc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

The third case, begs questions but something was clearly wrong for immigration to handle in that manner. I suspect that there is more to that story.

Entered twice before, clearly not a tourist as he also has a family here, he should have the appropriate visa for the circumstances of his visit/stay in the Kingdom..(IMHO).

Sometimes it's necessary to leave and then enter on a short term visa while you're 'seasoning' money the bank for the appropriate amount of time before you apply for your visa.

In that scenario they would rather kick you out than let you in.

Attempting to comply with the law shall be deemed a violation of the law.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Andy25 said:

Well he took the advice of a local agent who's been in the business for more than 20 years.

Ah....... those famous words :   TRUST ME .     My answer :  No thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Not necessarily if you have been following the thread regarding long-term Europeans in the UK.

Given the extraordinary circumstances over Brexit really there is no comparison but anyway They are getting settlement visas..by the thousands..when there is an injustice attempts are made to correct it. 

Edited by sunnyboy2018
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You haven't provided any reasons for him going back and forth on retirement extension, tourist visa, etc, etc

He was going back and forth that much and had been in the process of looking for another job. With nothing happening he decided to make the switch back to the retirement visa again.

• Like 1

Just now, Andy25 said:

He was going back and forth that much and had been in the process of looking for another job. With nothing happening he decided to make the switch back to the retirement visa again.

Andy25 he didn't have money in the bank, which makes it a no no when wanting to stay long term in Thailand, hence the reason he kept changing to a tourist visa, on a retirement extension, the 800,000 baht in the bank, could have been sorted through one of those agents most people in that situation use for 20,000 baht, I hear they sort it all,  then all he would have to do is get a multi re-entry permit for 3,800 baht, when going abroad.

He shot himself in the foot, and looks like no sympathy here from TVF members but a few.

Lifes a bitch if you are not organised, have no money, and don't follow a plan and adhere to laws.

I wish him all the best in his attempt to come back to Thailand to perhaps support his wife and kids, but he sounds like someone who can't get his sheet together. The LOS has changed and he got caught out, regardless of what he contributed to Thailand over all of those years, Thailand doesn't care, "up to you", you stay long time, you spend money, you get enjoyment, run out of money and can't adhere to the requirements, by by cheap Charlie, a natural response anywhere in the world no doubt, we are just numbers........but some know how to add, and multiply and stay and enjoy from the fruits they sowed years before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

I dont think that lawbiding people are getting throwned out of Thailand but drunks, overstayers criminals on one or another way they are throwned out fortunately...

So no problem for me..... This seems to be lowclass people anyhow....

Case 1 - overstayed dont understand why you mention this one at all....

Case 2 - criminal     "        "           "               "                "

Case 3 - no comments dont know and cant guess...

glegolo

Nonsense comment about drunks. Its not a muslin state. Drinking is not is not a crime and people dont get thrown out for drinking. Being drunk is not a crime. Where do you get your ideas from? They are clearly wrong. Why do respond to such a thread with irrelevant comments about drinking. Its absurd and misleading. If you dont like drinking or people getting drunk then Thailand is not gor you. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Andy25 he didn't have money in the bank, which makes it a no no when wanting to stay long term in Thailand, hence the reason he kept changing to a tourist visa, on a retirement extension, the 800,000 baht in the bank, could have been sorted through one of those agents most people in that situation use for 20,000 baht, I hear they sort it all,  then all he would have to do is get a multi re-entry permit for 3,800 baht, when going abroad.

He shot himself in the foot, and looks like no sympathy here from TVF members but a few.

Lifes a bitch if you are not organised, have no money, and don't follow a plan and adhere to laws.

I wish him all the best in his attempt to come back to Thailand to perhaps support his wife and kids, but he sounds like someone who can't get his sheet together. The LOS has changed and he got caught out, regardless of what he contributed to Thailand over all of those years, Thailand doesn't care, "up to you", you stay long time, you spend money, you get enjoyment, run out of money and can't adhere to the requirements, by by cheap Charlie, a natural response anywhere in the world no doubt, we are just numbers........but some know how to add, and multiply and stay and enjoy from the fruits they sowed years before.

Thank you for that reply which might be true in many cases. I'm not sure if it is with this case.

The question now is how to challenge? How to question what happened?

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

As he was not been blacklisted (I assume), it should be a simple matter of getting the correct visa and flying back in. 

That  is correct but he kind of got the hump and decided to quit. He's had enough. Now the question is are there people reading this in the same situation? And how can the decision be challenged?

Obviously he didn't have his sheet together in the way it should have been. But that doesn't mean his sheet is bad!

22 minutes ago, Andy25 said:

I think if you have been here a long time on work permits and a retirement visa you pretty much cannot use tourist visa exempt to leave/re-enter the country. It doesn't matter if it makes sense. You need to plan your next steps more carefully.

• Like 1