Dual pricing: Retirees and expats may be charged more at Thai govt hospitals

webfact

1 hour ago, newnative said:

There's nothing 'racist' about it.  Thai is not a race.  Foreigners come in all races.  It would only be racist if the pricing was based on race.   

Well it is. Burmese, Lao, Cambodians, Vietnamese get the Thai price. Farang do not.

• Like 1

So even though someone like myself who will (in a relatively few years) contribute the same if not more than most average / working class Thais will throughout their lives in terms of tax - not to mention through my work in the company I am employed by I help to facilitate the growth of their economy via infrastructure we are involved in commissioning / engineering and constructing - I am still expected to pay more for standard medical care? If I didn't have emergency medical insurance it would be more of an issue. However it's the principle that is awry. Yet again we see Thailand's motley crew of myopic, airhead nationalists in government doing their utmost to make us foreigners feel just that little bit less welcome. ????

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still wonder why it's hard to get an insurance policy? Now it will be even tougher.  Even travel insurance is going to cost more. 

Come to think of it. I already pay more. I pay the full price of service and my wife pays 30 baht. 

I am paying way more than 100 percent more.

Edited by Longcut

1 minute ago, drbeach said:

Oh look a racist Thai apologist.

Yeah keep going to a Thai government hospital. I'll laugh when I hear you weren't admitted because they have a "sorry, no falangs" policy (which indeed some of them have).

The most racist country in this region is Thailand. You'll eventually catch on and go back to where you came from too because they don't want you here.

No.

You are the xenophobic racist, not i.

3 minutes ago, drbeach said:

The most racist country in this region is Thailand.

Tis true, to their Khmer and Burmese neighbors, which is wrong.

To everyone else, nah, not really, certainly no worse than a xenophobic stance in your home country in the West.

To me, on a day to day experience, after 16 years, no not really, not at all.

6 minutes ago, drbeach said:

You'll eventually catch on and go back to where you came from too because they don't want you here.

If this place is so bad,, why are you even here?

It's people like you who should be on that first plane outta here and not let the slam on your a##e on the way out.

Bye.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wtfracing said:

Lol lol  get a grip buddy life here can be a pain in the <deleted> at times but it still alot less expensive than most people's home country. Also dont give them any new ideas they might just listen to you lol but I  don't think they will as I don't think we are that important to them really.

A lot less expensive? What century are you living in? Everything from cars to decent imported food sold at supermarkets is more expensive than back home, often much more expensive! Medical treatment back home is usually free or very low cost and also superior to what's on offer here, so what's cheaper in Thailand? Not much...even eating out is not much cheaper given the strong Baht. Recently Bangkok was voted more expensive to live in than Sydney, Australia!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

No.

You are the xenophobic racist, not i.

Tis true, to their Khmer and Burmese neighbors, which is wrong.

To everyone else, nah, not really, certainly no worse than a xenophobic stance in your home country in the West.

To me, on a day to day experience, after 16 years, no not really, not at all.

If this place is so bad,, why are you even here?

It's people like you who should be on that first plane outta here and not let the slam on your a##e on the way out.

Bye.

Yes you are the xenophobe justifying racism.

Thais aren't racist towards Khmers and Burmese, they are giving them price parity here for hospital treatment. Read the article again.

I hope to hear the door slam in your face as you won't be allowed to renew your visa because you don't have enough money in the bank. Any expat with insurance here uses the private system.

My home country welcomes foreigners and there is no dual pricing. Stop making up nonsense.

Edited by drbeach
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Almer said:

Bit of a joke really, i have to go to govt hospital (excellent) every 2 months and when paying i don't  see  anybody else flashing the cash, so if like many claim that we are not wanted here that is a bit less in the hospital safe. Nothing makes sense to me, whilst i understand that a government isn't an insurance company why not at visa renewal have an option, prove your own insurance or pay a gvnt charge say 50,000baht and get access to care the same as thai residents, some are saying the 800000 is enough for a health guarantee that is fine but if you break into it for an emergency in the seasoning period and cant replace it your in trouble at IO.

I see in another post earlier that your passport is your guarantee and with a joined up computer system IO at visa renewal would be able to collect ir no renewal,  please don't start screaming at me these are only thoughts to a solution that isn't going to go away.

I've just figured out that "IO" is Immigration Office.

19 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

No matter what a Thai government hospital charged I would never use one.  I been to one with my wife  The doctor was an idiot.  I knew more than he did.

Agree, I believe they use some wannabe doctors with counterfeit diploma and certification dokuments. 

A doctor at a local government hospital once checked my ear infection with an otoscope and he didn't see anything wrong, I grabbed the scope and tried to open the light but it was broken. Why did he get mad at me when checking his equipment?

He was cheating and lie in the first place?

I refused to pay for the "fake" consultation and walked out without waiting for the prescribed medisin.

Lesson learned no more government hospitals when i am sick.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

88 yo and cancer? she should take the train out of town and be done with it - and yes, I will, if that ever happens to me.

At some point we have to come to grips with the problem of older people driving up health care costs to stratospheric levels.

My mother is 100 years old with advanced dementia.  She led a wonderful, long very interesting life--none of which she can remember.  Or her 6 kids. The last time I visited she had no idea who I was.  She can no longer walk, play bridge or board games, read (which she loved), or follow a tv program.  She rarely talks.  She is being kept alive by wonderful, expensive health care but I don't think it's what she would want if she could choose.

My father died in his sleep a few days shy of his 95th birthday.  Right up to the end he was very active, engaged with life, and sharp as a tack.   He likely would have died younger but he had a Cadillac health plan, took care of his health, and had excellent doctors and medical care.  Towards the end I think he was taking a half dozen or more pills a day for this and that.  My siblings and I valued every single day we had with him and felt so fortunate he lived such a lengthy, good life.

So, two long lives.  I think my mother, with the life she is leading, should have boarded that train of yours many stations back.  But, I am happy my father, with the life he was leading, was around as long as he was even if he might have been contributing to the rising health care costs.  The difficult questions are who gets on your train and when.

I recently went to BNH for a problem with my right knee. The Dr recommended an injection of Hyaluronic acid to help with the pain. BNH wanted ฿33,000 plus ฿1,500 for the surgeon to inject it. I bought the same injection at a local retail pharmacy for ฿17,000 and visited the same surgeon at Veterans General hospital where I was only charged ฿120 for the procedure. I for one am very grateful that the thais allowing  me to use their public hospital, and the extra two hour wait was well worth it for the cost savings. 

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

And can go back to their  old  country and pay 1.5  times the amount (normally free) even if they've paid into the National insurance  scheme for 40 years........fixed that for  ya (UK)

Yep, dual pricing UK(NHS)-style for us British pensioners living in LOS.

1 hour ago, Time Traveller said:

Oh yes. Discrimination that is perfectly acceptable when it's against foreigners. 

Jews are not a race either, so I guess you'll be telling me next that the Nazis were not racists either.

Realize that there is something seriously sick with your mind.

Obviously, you think one price for Thai nationals and another price for foreigners is 'discrimination' and I think it is reasonable so we will never come to any agreement.  By the way, the Nazis also discriminated against gays--was that 'racist'?

21 hours ago, webfact said:
  • Foreigners working or studying in Thailand (Non B, ED, M)
  • Foreign retirees and tourists (Non O, TR, VOA) 

I assume this all hinges on government revenue i.e. tax and all. As an expat, I pay tax too. A flat tax rate. No rebates, no personal relieves, nothing. Because I'm a foreigner and not a local. Fine, I get that. And I'll go with it. But that also means I pay more tax than a local in the same pay bracket as me. I'm not going to ask to be charged less, or be favoured more, for government services but surely, expecting to be charged the same rate as a Thai is not asking too much? Oh sorry, I forgot, this is Thailand.

About 10 years ago, I used to be able to show a copy of my work permit and get local prices (hospitals, national parks etc.) but now it seems even that is being ignored. Show the work permit now, and all one gets is a rude retort and a wagging finger furiously pointing at the double-tiered price list on the wall.

So, again, another not-so-subtle display of 'we don't like/want foreigners around'. Ok Thailand, we get it already.

Edited by outsider

17 hours ago, HampiK said:

If you have an Insurance, then you for sure not will go to a government hospital. there are a lot of private hospitals from normal price till expensive. Government hospitals people mostly go because they don't have the money or maybe a few who only want safe some money. But the time you lose there is mostly worth more!

You and some other here have missed one little fact. Many farrangs here live where there are no private hospitals around.

Please look correctly the annonce announcement and data base price attached !!!! 
Non immigrant O code others Retirement  reason 2.22 , family 2.18 Thai wife  etc...  are in the groupe 2 not 3 !!!! 

The Groupe 3 is only for temporary Tourist or Transit, visiteurs ,  Sport
About the price service only somme Service have 3 price to many others services are the same price for the 3 groupe !!!
If you want to now the price currently variation by Controller general and news price  for foreigners

please download the data base before to talk to much and open polemique steryl comments !!!! 

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2562/E/218/T_0004.PDF?fbclid=IwAR1ksM7R67A_RFMIqI3COaFiEGe7EnhlA7FAO1ry-TWRkIL5gNN1kRrh4yI

I have extracted and converted the data and I am sure what i am talking 

Actually I compile the existing legal data base applicable and the rules price for foreigners 

Cordially 

EX 

For All Foreigners 3 group same price     
4.3 Ambulance service fees   THB  Euro
1 High level ambulance in case of resurrection service 1,900 57 €
2 High level ambulance in case of medical treatment 1,700 51 €
3 High-level ambulance in the event of accident medical treatment 1,600 48 €
4 High level ambulance in case of emergency medical treatment 2,300 69 €
5 Basic ambulance, transport case 1,100 33 €
6 Basic ambulance in case of first aid and transportation 1,100 33 €
7 High-level ambulances are out for service, not more than 12 hours. 7,000 209 €

40 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Well it is. Burmese, Lao, Cambodians, Vietnamese get the Thai price. Farang do not.

You seem to be confusing nationality with race.  'Farang' is not a race.  American is not a race.   Any of the countries you mentioned can have citizens of different races.  It's not racist when Thailand chooses to give a price break to neighboring countries.  Just as it's not racist when the Euro Union allows travel between citizens of Euro countries but requires visas from selected other countries.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ebean001 said:

these hospitals should be significantly cheap for Thais. It is a benefit for the citizens. for others...YES...they should pay more!

My main point is this...even though we pay more at these hospitals it is still significantly less than Ram in Chiang Mai and other 'international' hospitals.

non usa citizens are not charged 1 cent more than locals at usa public hospitals

18 minutes ago, SPREX said:

Please look correctly the annonce announcement and data base price attached !!!! 
Non immigrant O code others Retirement  reason 2.22 , family 2.18 Thai wife  etc...  are in the groupe 2 not 3 !!!! 

The Groupe 3 is only for temporary Tourist or Transit, visiteurs ,  Sport

No Where are you reading? From your linked document  Group 3.4 is Non-O (other) that includes both retiree and Thai wife.

๓.๔ (3.4) การตรวจลงตราประเภทคนอยู่ชั่วคราว (Non-immigrant Visa) รหัส O (Others) ที่ไม่จัดอยู่ในกลุ่มที่ 1

This is group 3 not group 2.

I thought Thailand was on track to align with International law, but no, that is obviously not the case. Where I come from it would be considered a crime to have dual pricing system in favor the nationals.

However If this is to replace sick insurance then I can understand, if not it will make the insurance even more expensive.