Dual pricing: Retirees and expats may be charged more at Thai govt hospitals

webfact

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

If one doesn't pay any tax here I see the dual pricing for medical care to be fair?

Hardly any Thais pay tax on income, we all pay 7% on all purchases including electricity and water. Income tax is not relevant.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, newnative said:

You seem to be confusing nationality with race.  'Farang' is not a race.  American is not a race.   Any of the countries you mentioned can have citizens of different races.  It's not racist when Thailand chooses to give a price break to neighboring countries.  Just as it's not racist when the Euro Union allows travel between citizens of Euro countries but requires visas from selected other countries.  

What?  

A Thai nationality there obtain a Schengen visa can travel between all Schengen countries too.

21 hours ago, rumak said:

yes indeed.    article says he was charged 250 baht more per visit than a Thai person.   He then launched a "four year campaign for justice".     Let's all send a big thank you to this Farang for standing up to the injustice.   Now we ALL can pay for his campaign.   Hey, but now its written as the law .   

How i wish Farangs would just keep their mouths shut.  But that is probably like wishing Thais would stop eating somtam.

to charge different price for the same service based on nationality is the sign of a very primitive nationalism....I never understood the reason behind it...any ideas besides institutional greed....??? 

Edited by friend of siam

21 hours ago, Fred31 said:

Well, you think you do, and that's  what matters, right?

when I went to one the doctor was a kid when he asked what was wrong I told him he got out his mobile got a couple of photos up and said you will need this operation which will cost a lot of money and you will need to go to another city we can not do it here to shorten I went private hospital same city was operated on 6.000 baht

Whilst I've had generally great service from government hospitals, I've had two instances of ridiculous proportions.

First we when a nurse was removing stitches, and ended up cutting my flesh with her scissors, I had to stop her, and ended up removing them myself at home.

Second, after a doctor refused to give me a second opinion due to me 'not being HIS patient' he the tried to attack me physically. The head nurse on duty was there, had to stop him, and then offered to put in a complaint for me.

15 minutes ago, friend of siam said:

to charge different price for the same service based on nationality is the sign of a very primitive nationalism....I never understood the reason behind it...any ideas besides institutional greed....??? 

When that service is a government funded hospital, paid for and equipped from a country's budget created by their taxpayers, it is not primitive, it is fair and reasonable. Why should non-citizens get the discount price unless there is some sort of reciprocal agreement with their country.

What's not fair is that there is no easy route to PR for long term temporary residents and spouses. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SammyT said:

Just here for the angry retiree expats who don't get that many Thais pay taxes which actually go toward these hospitals. The response hasn't disappointed. Thanks team. 

Most Thais pay no direct taxes. Most taxation comes from indirect taxes which is entirely related to spending,so in that respect expats will be paying considerably more tax.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jerojero said:

Not basic healthcare for expats in (perm residents of) Canada. Basic medical free of charge, gov't paid. USA medical costs are insanely high and private businesses.

yes.  Canada is (as of now) a real exception regarding healthcare.  I know because my daughter lives there so I get first hand info.   It is the one place I could possibly go live ...... but the cold !  If she moved to the west coast that would be better

2 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Most Thais pay no direct taxes. Most taxation comes from indirect taxes which is entirely related to spending,so in that respect expats will be paying considerably more tax.

Only if you buy an overpriced Mercedes. Taxes relating to real world spending do not equal that of indirect tax?

1 minute ago, rumak said:

yes.  Canada is (as of now) a real exception regarding healthcare.  I know because my daughter lives there so I get first hand info.   It is the one place I could possibly go live ...... but the cold !  If she moved to the west coast that would be better

One still has to pay though. Used to be about $150/month for a family. Probably still is. It does depend on income. 

22 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

When that service is a government funded hospital, paid for and equipped from a country's budget created by their taxpayers, it is not primitive, it is fair and reasonable. Why should non-citizens get the discount price unless there is some sort of reciprocal agreement with their country.

What's not fair is that there is no easy route to PR for long term temporary residents and spouses. 

Do you think western countries should charge non nationals living in their country 3x the price for medical treatment in their countries too?
There would be outrage.

If a Thai national had to use a Public Hospital here in Australia..Woe betide !! the Emergency department charges an arm and a leg for any foreign national to use it's service,The bottom line is everyone should have some kind of medical insurance when overseas,I don't think Thailand is being unreasonable.

• Like 1

I have been using a private hospital where I have had a coronary artery stent inserted, treated for breathing problems (not emphysema) and I arranged for my Thai step-daughter to have her baby there as well as pre and post natal visits. Most Thais consider that we must be very wealthy but personally I am okay with what I have to pay compared to American health care.

And, BTW, in 2006 I had spinal surgery at a Bangkok private hospital and when I told my MD friends in America how much and sent them copies of my x-rays and MRI's they said in America, without insurance I probably would have paid 5x as much.

I never had Thai insurance because when I arrived here at 62 y.o. it wasn't in my budget and now at 81 it is impossible.

So, bottom line: I am happy with the medical service here and find the costs well within my ability to pay.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

No matter what a Thai government hospital charged I would never use one.  I been to one with my wife  The doctor was an idiot.  I knew more than he did.

RE - I been to one with my wife  The doctor was an idiot.  I knew more than he did.

* On the other hand it must have been a relief that you discovered during the visit that you as the husband actually knew more about Your wife than the doctor - think positive ... :thumbsup:

Edited by ttrd

22 hours ago, Morakot said:

In most countries old age pensioners pay less, in Thailand they will pay more!

Do not forget the increasing Thai bath exchange rate and in most countires the Thai cost for the way of living are getting as expensive or even more expensive as back home for many of the aliens in Thailand.

There are also countries that have a system with a base insurance and add on packages.

Makes that the poor have minimal health care dispite they are living in a western country or a country with a western standard based society.

That foreginers pay more then the nationals seem to be normal. Whas is,strange to see the fluctuating price for the same treatment as I oersonally have seen happening when I had an accident and for the wound dressing that had to be dien daily i have had every day different price, and all was done by the same team with the same tiols and consumables.

The same handling and consumable costs between the 800 to 1500 per time. 

Not a problem because the insurance ceoverd all. And they als started to ask. At the end..... all was reduced to .... 650 thb per treatment and the first first with the two nights on IC also reduced by 40 percent.

Total period was 90 days of wound dressing.

The inscuance company involved was from abroad.

The question not answerd is the following.

What about the NON-O that are based on take care of thai national.

Take care of child ir the take care of thai partner.

In the past this was also an expection for other things too.

I was at a government hospital in Mae Hong Son once - took all kinds of tests and saw two different doctors - and I paid only for the medication.

Been to privat hospitals a few times because of ear infection problems and the doctor once prescribed seven - 7 - different medications...???? (something a doc back home usually prescribe one - 1 medication only) and charged a hefty consultation fee as well. Private hospitals - no-njet-nein - I rather not.

Isn't the thread title misleading?

Not just retirees and expats but all alien lifeforms? For an expat husband married with a wife and kids to support will also be charged more? The support for those Thai family members would be less as the expat money earner gets shafted by the local Thai government hospitals? How is that helping Thais?

23 hours ago, rumak said:

How i wish Farangs would just keep their mouths shut

Got back on TV a while ago expecting to be body slammed to the ground for my posts that voiced the opinion that medical care (govt hospitals and even some private hospitals) is a real BARGAIN when compared to the countries most of us come from.  My point being, its all relative !  I am not upset that I might pay a little bit more than a citizen of Thailand.  I am grateful as hell I don't have to go back to the US and get really ripped off.  Oddly enough, the great majority of responses were in agreement . Shock !

Forums are often the battlefield for idealistic youth or the "old and bitter".   Idealists shout it ain't fair,

why should I this,  why is this country like that .  When asked about the good fortune to be born in countries where wages and standard of living is so much higher the answer is usually "that is not the point".

I think the majority of the world living in poverty with little chance of upgrading would see things differently.

I was not handed anything..... but I do not kid myself that i did not have a big advantage being born in the US.   In my thinking this is called PERSPECTIVE.   99% of Thais have no right to go live in the US or Canada or Australia  etc etc.    We just save for a few months, pack our Nikes,  hop on the plane and within a day are sitting at Nana Plaza sipping a beer and playing macho man.  

The part I love the best is when some hottie walks by and you ask for a "date" she quotes you twice as much as the hansum man she just left.   Ever ask her why ?   Don't worry.... usually Thais are much better at letting you save face.

Edited by rumak

I don't see that this pricing is particularly unfair, and is perhaps more generous than many other countries.

I can't think of too many countries where non-nationals benefit from subsidized services. 

Thailand's hospitals don't operate on a cost basis - they are subsidized by the state, and the pricing structure seems to reflect that those entitled to the subsidy are, of course, nationals, and - generously - Asean nationals.

Partial subsidies are enjoyed by working expats and students - a very generous concession as Thai students in the U.S, U.K. and Australia, for example, get no subsidy at all and must have insurance to get a visa. Lastly, those who don't pay tax pay full price. 

Any health insurance policy should cover at least most of the cost, which is still considerably lower than private hospitals charge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mangkhut said:

I was at a government hospital in Mae Hong Son once - took all kinds of tests and saw two different doctors - and I paid only for the medication.

Been to privat hospitals a few times because of ear infection problems and the doctor once prescribed seven - 7 - different medications...???? (something a doc back home usually prescribe one - 1 medication only) and charged a hefty consultation fee as well. Private hospitals - no-njet-nein - I rather not.

In Thailand there are no need to consult a private Hospital as all their doctors continuously rotates between private and state hospitals. The only thing you are guaranteed by visiting a private hospital is a more comfortable environment that increase your bill at least 10 times .... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drbeach said:

should Thais who can afford to purchase a plane ticket to the UK also pay more than British people for medical treatment?

They do!  And you're saying that dual pricing in hospitals here is racist. I see no evidence of that.

• Like 1

My Thai wife and her 4 Thai children which i brought to southern Europe 16 years ago did receive education up to High school, social security, and also one of her handicapped daughter receives special education/assistance plus a pension. All this at same cost as any other national, which means ALL TOTALLY FREE!

For the last 20 years, ALL my money earned has only gone into supporting my Thai Family and counting. (And NO I am not rich! ) Also for my Thai Parents in law for a pension in Thailand, (Because they don´t get a pension in LOS). Sorry I lie, they receive 600 Bht per month.  Also made a proper housing for them, and sometimes assisting family with little children when they are in extreme need even if they do not ask. Three of my wife's Thai children are now following University in Thailand which living and further cost of-course are supported by me. To hand a future to the family purchased land as well and soon starting to build. Nothing on my name of-course because we are just outlaws and should be shot at in each and every opportunity. Only to clarify that I do consider my wife's children as mine and all the effort and cost has been done with pleasure and receiving in return love and recognition each and every day from each of them, even more then I did put in, BUT could we please get some proper treatment in return from Thailand, not being considered criminals or easy targets. By the way all five of the family have unlimited residence for life (only change their id each 10 year) and not to mention any reporting or TM this or that, as they have the same right as the locals. Forgot to mention that wages here, where we live are between 800 and 2000 euro, which is nice money in Thailand but does not permit a luxury life here. And hey I do not want a medal, only a similar treatment from LOS, surely many more farangs have done the same or more as me and should therefore get some recognition from Thailand.

(sorry for my poor English which is not my mother tongue as some probably observe, but I had to react on the constant attacks of discrimination on all of us decent Farangs)

Edited by DUTCHEESE
error is not each year, but each 10 year.
  • Like 1

Hardly news is it. The dual pricing has been present for years. I once sat next to my Thai wife at Phuket International Hospital and we were both presented with a financial statement of costs for treatment. One in Thai which was substantially less than my English version. The nurse seemed to realise the mistake in presenting both and quickly took mine back. I hope we eventually paid the correct amount.