Dual pricing: Retirees and expats may be charged more at Thai govt hospitals

webfact

1 hour ago, Misab said:

What?  

A Thai nationality there obtain a Schengen visa can travel between all Schengen countries too.

Umm.  Yes--that was my point.  A Thai needs to buy a visa.  A German doesn't need to buy a visa to travel to France.  Is it racist to require a Thai citizen or a Turkish citizen or a citizen from Ecuador to have to buy a visa to travel in Europe?  No, it's just policy.  But, it IS dual pricing because USA citizens don't have to pay.   When my Thai partner and I went to Europe, he had to pay for a visa and I got in free.  Just one example of dual pricing that is found all over the World.  

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Do you think western countries should charge non nationals living in their country 3x the price for medical treatment in their countries too?
There would be outrage.

I believe anyone visiting (holding a temporary visa) in any country, is not entitled to subsidized treatment.  They should be insured or prepared to pay full cost.  Where did the 3x price come from - not from the examples given in the first posts!

Just this morning I had extensive blood tests, and saw two doctors, in a private hospital, for a total cost of 7,069 baht. Happy to pay it, I never feel entitled to free treatment in this or any other country, I certainly don't think I'm entitled to get it for the same price a citizen does. 

It would have cost significantly more in my home country if uninsured.  I wouldn't want any person on a temp visa getting free treatment in my country!

My thoughts have nothing to do with duel pricing in shops or parks, etc. its about government funded social services.

I think the complainers here should shift focus to the difficulty in getting PR as long term visitors and spouses.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rumak said:

yes indeed.    article says he was charged 250 baht more per visit than a Thai person.   He then launched a "four year campaign for justice".     Let's all send a big thank you to this Farang for standing up to the injustice.   Now we ALL can pay for his campaign.   Hey, but now its written as the law .   

How i wish Farangs would just keep their mouths shut.  But that is probably like wishing Thais would stop eating somtam.

I thought the idea of "Going Dutch" was each person paying his own bill.

Private hospital in Pattaya did 15,000B in tests on me and said I should check into ICU at 50,000B a night for them to do further study on it. Not a chance of that! Went to Government Hospital by ambulance (500B) and the doctors had the problem figured out right away. Left 3 1/2 days later in good shape  and down only 15,200B. Paying double would still be a deal for an American. A year before I had a reaction to prescribed medications. Three days in U.S. hospital - no surgery, mostly just withheld medications - was billed at $37,000+. Insurance would run about 120,000 a year and cover nothing but being run over by a herd of goats. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drbeach said:

A lot less expensive? What century are you living in? Everything from cars to decent imported food sold at supermarkets is more expensive than back home, often much more expensive! Medical treatment back home is usually free or very low cost and also superior to what's on offer here, so what's cheaper in Thailand? Not much...even eating out is not much cheaper given the strong Baht. Recently Bangkok was voted more expensive to live in than Sydney, Australia!

Dream on buddy you are not fooling anyone 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edwin Cameron said:

If a Thai national had to use a Public Hospital here in Australia..Woe betide !! the Emergency department charges an arm and a leg for any foreign national to use it's service,The bottom line is everyone should have some kind of medical insurance when overseas,I don't think Thailand is being unreasonable.

Yes but do Thai have to pay 2x the price of an Australian?

At The Queen Sirikit hospital Sattahip there is a sign in the optical department saying foreigners using this service will be charged 50% more. I don't mind paying a bit more bearing in mind that the b30 scheme is there to for Thais but 50% seems a bit over the top. I have just had cataract treatment at a private hospital cheaper than quoted by the above hospital.

51 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I believe anyone visiting (holding a temporary visa) in any country, is not entitled to subsidized treatment.  They should be insured or prepared to pay full cost.  Where did the 3x price come from - not from the examples given in the first posts!

Just this morning I had extensive blood tests, and saw two doctors, in a private hospital, for a total cost of 7,069 baht. Happy to pay it, I never feel entitled to free treatment in this or any other country, I certainly don't think I'm entitled to get it for the same price a citizen does. 

It would have cost significantly more in my home country if uninsured.  I wouldn't want any person on a temp visa getting free treatment in my country!

My thoughts have nothing to do with duel pricing in shops or parks, etc. its about government funded social services.

I think the complainers here should shift focus to the difficulty in getting PR as long term visitors and spouses.

Ok so a Thai person living in the UK should not be getting Free health care as they do and in fact they should be paying twice the price of an English person for the same service? Correct?

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Only if you buy an overpriced Mercedes. Taxes relating to real world spending do not equal that of indirect tax?

I don’t think you understand indirect taxes - it is on everyday spending- have you not noticed the 7% sales tax on everything including services you buy? So the more you spend the more tax you pay.

I had a medical problem so I went along to Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

The Doctor I saw was a very nice Gentleman, who suggested that the treatment would cost significantly less if i saw him at his Clinic in a Public Hospital next Thursday..

This I duly done, and was booked for an Operation ( that he undertook ) the following week

No problems since.

• Like 2

I'm just starting to choke down the fact that I have to put money in a thai bank If I decide to stay here.  
Mandatory insurance is a mandatory no for me and a mandatory adios.  
Legally approving double pricing for substandard health care...these people have become seriously greedy pigs.  

See ya

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

Just last month i had cataract surgery on my right eye , Rutnin eye hospital wanted 160000 baht for the Symfony multi focal lens and extra 25000 baht for the actual surgery and follow up . I went off to Chulalongkorn hospital and for the same procedure with the exact lens etc the total including everything was 63000 baht . Top class service and at a very good price . Cheers 

Edited by greg71
  • Like 1

Not sure if you realize, but the thai cost of the medical care IS the cost of the treatment. The service that is "substantially underwritten by public funds" is the 30 baht gold card scheme, not the hospital bills. Charging people way above what the base cost is , is simply to make profits. I don't think anyone would ever suggest public services should be in the business of making profits.

I do realize that.. my base point remains that when you speak of using a state-funded service, then I think there can be a good case made for those who have paid the underlying costs through normal taxation channels to pay a “tax-payer rate” or “subsidized” rate as opposed to those who essentially have not or do not pay taxes through similar channels.

Yes, the 30baht program is the price.. totally true... but... I also think that it’s fair for public hospitals, built with tax-payer funds, equipped with tax-payer funded hardware, that there is a rate table that reflect each patients tax-participation level.

I also agree that the essence of a public services should not be to generate profits like a traditional privately held, “for-profit” entity would be..... that said, I DO think it’s ok for some services (like heath care, transport services, etc) to be priced such that one of their missions, aside from the actual service delivery itself, is to ensure that revenues cover their operating costs, nett of state subsidies.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, monkfish said:

I only use public hospitals never had a problem very good service apart from Pattaya that the worst in Thailand.

especially that City Hospital.....a doctor there once said to me " I am not  slave to you"

All i wanted was translation of a paper written in Thai !!!

32 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Simplistic rather than simple.  Presumably, you are unaware that many retirees have dependent Thai wives and families. For them, relocation is neither a desirable nor practicable option - even if it were affordable, which in many instances it is not.

The sudden hike in hospital charges is going to make a nasty dent in the household budgets of  retirees of modest means, already struggling to copy with the double whammy of high domestic inflation and a buoyant baht.

A little more empathy toward fellow expats under the lash and a little less of the "I'm all right, Jack" attitude would make this Forum a more friendly and enjoyable experience.

Here, Here!