Bangkok tops Paris, London as world's most-visited city - MasterCard

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Be interesting to know if 50% of that was made up of transactions on mastercards used in airports by people in transit as opposed to tourists !

Nah, Bangkok is in the top 3 list since 2010 or so, it's simply the middle of ASIA.

This is not only tourism, these are of course also business travelers and like Dubai too Bangkok is a connecting hub.

You can see on the spending habbits that it's a large amount of business and connecting travelers in Bangkok.

• Dubai: $30.82 billion, $553 per day
  • Makkah (Mecca), Saudi Arabia: $20.09 billion, $135 per day
  • Bangkok: $20.03 billion, $184 per day
  • Singapore: $16.56 billion, $272 per day
  • London: $16.47 billion, $148 per day
  • New York: $16.43 billion, $152 per day
  • Paris: $14.06 billion, $296 per day
  • Tokyo: $13.77 billion, $196 per day
  • Palma de Mallorca, Spain: $12.69 billion, $233 per day
  • Phuket, Thailand: $12.01 billion, $247 per day

if you look at Phuket, Mallorca and co that are pure tourism destinations they spend far less money in Bangkok.

London and NYC also have little spending as those are also very big business centers, and a big percentage of the visitors there are only for business stuff.

Business travelers spend less than tourists as they aren't there for fun.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:
Be interesting to know if 50% of that was made up of transactions on mastercards used in airports by people in transit as opposed to tourists !

Total BS

https://www.tatnews.org/2018/10/bangkok-comes-up-top-in-mastercards-2018-global-destination-cities-index/

"The Mastercard Index predicted a strong annual growth for tourism arrivals of 9.6 percent for Bangkok. It also noted the impressive fact that visitors stay in Bangkok for 4.7 nights on average with daily spending of over US$173 per day (5,563 Baht), amounting to US$16.36 billion in total in 2017. This placed the Thai capital in the 5th place of the Top Cities by Dollars Spent."

On average its 4.7 nights.

That's the thing about facts it always trumps fiction

Edited by madmen

33 minutes ago, madmen said:

Total BS

https://www.tatnews.org/2018/10/bangkok-comes-up-top-in-mastercards-2018-global-destination-cities-index/

"The Mastercard Index predicted a strong annual growth for tourism arrivals of 9.6 percent for Bangkok. It also noted the impressive fact that visitors stay in Bangkok for 4.7 nights on average with daily spending of over US$173 per day (5,563 Baht), amounting to US$16.36 billion in total in 2017. This placed the Thai capital in the 5th place of the Top Cities by Dollars Spent."

On average its 4.7 nights.

That's the thing about facts it always trumps fiction

just have to stick this in last week I tried to get a master card from the bank I bank with they had no idea what a master card was so they changed my card so I can use it for anything

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Who flies half way around the world to look at locked up animals and fish? Birdwatching ? hang out at the airport lol Sounds like you had the time of your life

I live in Thailand, and it was just a weekend break....and it just struck me when I was there how good Singapore is for a few days break with so many cool things to do, and comparing it to Bangkok, I wondered why people would go to Bangkok as a tourist?

I gave some examples of stuff we did.

Still waiting for the terrific, world class tourist attractions makes Bangkok worth visiting.

Crickets.

11 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Im wierd or its the artistic side of me, but I never get templed out. I mean, there are great temples and there are modest temples, but theres no such thing as a bad temple, to paraphrase an old adage.

I like cathedrals too, but to say they are better because of "architecture" and "history" is sort of westerncentric (or just your artistic bent I could say too I reckon) in that in cathedrals are as architecturally constrained as Wats, and have a rich history. And nothing beats solid gold buddhas LOL. 

And its more than temples. Take a walk through Chinatown and look at the buildings. Same all over the old city. Go to the floating markets ( there are two here in BKk that the tourists really dont go to and they are great to visit and easily accesible). Stalk lizards and Little Egrets in Lumpini Park. Wander the jewelery building in Silom. Feed turtles at the Khao Moo at Wat Prayun. Go to Wat Arun and instead of taking selfies, really look at the tile work close up. There is a great little coffee shop 100 meters from the street entrance. Take the boat to Nothanburi and walk the market, or head up to Koh Kret and walk around the Island (6km, nice walk, lots of flowers, cool Wats.) Chatuchak Market. Wang Lang Market. Phra Khanong Market. Klong Toei Market. Feed the fish at Wat Yannawa. Chill out in Wat Paknam (awesome). Talat Phlu. The Lung. Football at PAT. Wat Saket...stand up there for a while on a clear day, just walk from the river, pass through the flower market on the way. Ride the San Saeb out to Bangkapi, have lunch and ride back.

I could go on with more but my Stilton is at the right temperature so its time for brekkie. Please dont say you are Arsenal. And my personal slap to all you pommies: no one with a grain of sense eats baked beans for breakfast. 

Baked beans are an essential part of a British breakfast.????

I don't think warm Stilton first thing in the morning is our thing.

im not knocking the temples but I've been there,seen it and got the t shirt thanks.im also market and coffee shopped out.

the only thing that Bkk has for me is high quality hotels at very good rates but now I'm all hotelled out.

if there's one city I would like to visit it would be New York for the sights and the food.

34 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

To spend one night before carrying on to the real destination?

So lets see now.. who do we believe, some random anonymous internet dude that thinks he is a doctor possibly posting from his moms basement or MASTER CARD with 100 % verifyable stats saying 5 nights average in bangkok stays for tourists ?

Thats rehtorical lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, madmen said:

So lets see now.. who do we believe, some random anonymous internet dude that thinks he is a doctor possibly posting from his moms basement or MASTER CARD with 100 % verifyable stats saying 5 nights average in bangkok stays for tourists ?

Thats rehtorical lol

Well I'll answer anyway. So 100% of arrivals use mastercard, since it's "verifiable" and have agreed for MC to use their data? 

Immigration has the data of average stay length, but is not publishing it.

Edited by DrTuner

On 9/4/2019 at 7:18 PM, madmen said:

Your posting from some dreary and dead suburb in Australia and you reckon Bangkok is boring? LMAO

Well I actually remember the days of when clubs in bangkok were 24 hours. And the city where I live now, most bars never close. No over zelaous police looking to fine you or check your visa status either. 

So, yes I agree Bangkok in 2019 does seem a little boring.

Edited by Time Traveller