What goes up must come down – the battle of the baht

It may come down but it will take years and years same as its upwards journey, well done to those that shifted their savings to thailand years ago

for the thousands that posted never ever ever put even 1 baht in a Thai bank, keep your money at home where its "safe"..Bahahaha 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lowering interest rates won't help at this stage. As others have said the solution is for the government to simply print more money and spend, spend, spend. They could improve the country's infrastructure and buy off all those troublesome farmers in Isan. They could get real about a fair dinkum stimulus package for the good of the people of Thailand and really make a difference in peoples' lives.

It would still take 6 - 12 months for the Baht to drop to realistic levels so the Elite would have time to finalise their overseas purchases and investments and get ready to liquidate overseas assets and bring the money back to Thailand to invest once the Baht is down. They can then make another killing repatriating their foreign money.

So everyone wins!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wisperone said:

While that's good for you, and I'm happy for you, there are a lot of Brit and Aussie pensioners feeling the pain as their purchasing power dwindles more and more. Feel sorry for these guys trying to survive.

If they are trying to survive here I can only imagine their lot back in their homes. I'm not even 60 but made certain I had 800k stashed for the visa before even thinking about settling and marriage.

GBP has done nothing but drift downward for 15 years against the THB. The Aussie is notoriously fickle rising and falling on commodities and wthe whims of China. These are all very known things. I'm not gloating in fact I work VERY hard for my salary. Nothing was planned. The GBP trend is just down. Brexit or no.

• Like 1

They admit to offshore inflows from bond sales.  But they won't say who's buying.  Because they don't want us to know--it's Communist China, best buddies with Prayut.  They dump in billions of USD every week,  This drives the Baht up, and USD reserves at BoT up.  It's a nasty cycle, but they keep it going.  Say goodbye to exports and tourists...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

hey admit to offshore inflows from bond sales.  But they won't say who's buying.  Because they don't want us to know--it's Communist China, best buddies with Prayut.  They dump in billions of USD every week,  This drives the Baht up, and USD reserves at BoT up.  It's a nasty cycle, but they keep it going.  Say goodbye to exports and tourists...

Agreed-  Thailand's budget is not in surplus butin deficit just like the US but on a smaler scale.  Guess who buys a lot of US debt- China.  NThe very same government that is buying up Thai debt.   

This is a clear and present danger to both Thailand and the USA. If Thailand would stop all the foreign and uneeded purchases of military eqipment and rid the Government of corruption- the Baht would return to  it's natural level which is around 34 to the Dollar and 55 to the Pound.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 12:15 PM, BestB said:

I earn thai baht, very happy but my business is loosing customers so while I am getting good money into dollars my biz is loosing money, so in the end i am back to where I started ????

I get paid in baht too,i,be got a bar.trouble is i,be got no customer's

On 9/5/2019 at 8:17 PM, wisperone said:

While that's good for you, and I'm happy for you, there are a lot of Brit and Aussie pensioners feeling the pain as their purchasing power dwindles more and more. Feel sorry for these guys trying to survive.

And I would suggest that the reason for that is rather than the baht it’s a weak Australian economy and the weak British economy plus Brexit.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:27 AM, Number 6 said:

GBP has done nothing but drift downward for 15 years against the THB.

A simple case of supply and demand.  They have produced more and more whiners while the demand for

such has gone steadily down.  

disclaimer: this is meant as humor but I will take the vitriol thrown at me like a man !